4wd ideas?

I have a spare K11 (T reg, about 1999 I think) which might make a good project car. I quite fancy 4wd due to all the hills and snow here, as fitting chains is a PITA. Of course it all depends on making time...

Does anyone have parts bin suggestions?

I want either full time symmetrical (3 diff) like Audi 80 quattro and A4, or switchable 2/4wd like a Vitara. I hate the viscous systems (that wait for wheelspin then add 2 extra wheels) such as the Haldex found in Golf and A3, as the viscous coupling can fail and the only way you find out is by getting stuck climbing a hill, exactly the wrong time!

I was wondering whether anything from the Nissan range would help, or whether the 1.5dci uses a Peugeot gearbox and whether that opens the way for a French 4wd setup?

Or am I peeing into wind again? :)

There's a 4wd Nissan but I can't remember its name. It was 4wd and I want one...

Anyway... other options
Subaru Justy
Pulsar
Subaru
Land rover

Your imagination is your limit

Nissan did a factory 4wd K11...
...and a k12 ;)
Edit:

I was wondering whether anything from the Nissan range would help, or whether the 1.5dci uses a Peugeot gearbox and whether that opens the way for a French 4wd setup?
If it wasn't a nissan gearbox it would surely be a Renault...not a Peugeot? ^_^
I have the k12 1.5 dci and that'the same k9k engine that is in a clio, my sump is definitely Renault, but I haven't a clue about gear boxes
If Renault have an option for a small 4x4 (kangoo van?clio tourer?) Then getting the gearbox from one of those could potentially be a viable option?

Oh yeah, series land rover axles are almost as heavy if not heavier than a micra shell, maybe not the best option :p

the option seems simple to me. put up with the pain in the ass of snow chains. its loads less effort than re-bodying a subaru justy.

the justy is the closest option, as the wheelbase and track WILL fit within the arches on a micra.

the option seems simple to me. put up with the pain in the ass of snow chains. its loads less effort than re-bodying a subaru justy.

the justy is the closest option, as the wheelbase and track WILL fit within the arches on a micra.
See this is what I don't like to hear. Positive encouragement to do something different is best to my ears.
I mean why not eh variety us the spice of life and all that

Subaru Impreza running gear doesn't fit but I made it work with a bit of imagination and encouragement. Whichever 4wd system is picked is just as much effort as the next in my opinion

well f*** my sensible idea then. twin engine it mate. twin rb24dett.
OTT and childish ?

If we all did "the sensible thing" do you think the cg13 turbo would exist? Engine swaps? Its about pushing the boundaries of what is believed is possible... called evolution

If it wasn't a nissan gearbox it would surely be a Renault...not a Peugeot? ^_^

The diesel K11 have a psa engine from saxo/106/ax/205 so you maybe put the 4x4 ax gearbox .
But the 4wd don't have central diff.

Other idea, panda 4x4 rear axle :
back_axle_cleaned_painted.jpg

Take the leaf springs off, weld new fixation points from k11 axle and finally put a electric motor from a kart and you have a 20hp kers system .

OTT and childish ?

If we all did "the sensible thing" do you think the cg13 turbo would exist? Engine swaps? Its about pushing the boundaries of what is believed is possible... called evolution

look, i gave a reasonable answer to a reasonable question. people are throwing silly-money projects in as "fun to do" ideas. turboing a cg13 is sensible,, because its fairly cost effective and gives good results.

a silly thing to do is where you spend too much money and end up with either no car or a car in two halves.

@euno
why would you want to use a 2jz? you just lose some of the nissanness!!!

anyway i do plan on making myself a quick diesel micra at some stage. yes they come with an xud5, 1.5L diesel, but.................... the 2.0L HDi from a pug 306 is made on the same block. unless nissan have messed around with it, the bellhousing bolts should line up as well! dead easy fit! :)

look, i gave a reasonable answer to a reasonable question. people are throwing silly-money projects in as "fun to do" ideas. turboing a cg13 is sensible,, because its fairly cost effective and gives good results.

a silly thing to do is where you spend too much money and end up with either no car or a car in two halves.
At first turboing a cg wouldn't have been all that sensible... its because its been developed and refined and now has become a decent, relatively simple modification to do.

He asked for 4wd ideas and that's what he got. I've thrown next to no money at Nissanubaru and its a relatively complete project. It all boils down to what facilities, skills and experience you have to pull it off.
I've built many a ridiculous car and I consider myself qualified to have these fun to do ideas :D

I've never ended up with no car or a car in two halves either... come close :p but I got it done. Though I know of a few people who had project ideas... Spent money and ended up with an unusable car and in one case the car never came back :eek:

A diesel should be a good fun project to have a pop at :)
You gonna 4wd it too? :p

@euno
why would you want to use a 2jz? you just lose some of the nissanness!!!

anyway i do plan on making myself a quick diesel micra at some stage. yes they come with an xud5, 1.5L diesel, but.................... the 2.0L HDi from a pug 306 is made on the same block. unless nissan have messed around with it, the bellhousing bolts should line up as well! dead easy fit! :)
Because the VG engine is a bit boring, 2Z = mad power. Fitting 2 would probably mean side bu side in the back gearing together to a single crank... 2000hp in a micra though XD :confused:

its very easy to lose interest in a project that is too ambitious (arnold,s 4x4 k10, nikolai,s 4x4 k11, sir chris,s rebuild etc)
i prefer to do it in stages on my daily, and drive/enjoy the damn thing :)

its very easy to lose interest in a project that is too ambitious (arnold,s 4x4 k10, nikolai,s 4x4 k11, sir chris,s rebuild etc)
i prefer to do it in stages on my daily, and drive/enjoy the damn thing :)
Here here Frank :)
Except Nissanubaru aint my daily... at least not yet :)

no i dont plan for a 4x4 diesel. its only an idea at this stage though eh?!

yeah ive seen loads of people get bored of projects and end up scrapping the car. just dont want people to scrap micras haha! you dont wanna spend loads of time and money to end up with a selection of sorted scrap metal.

personally i just need a gudgeon pin extractor then i can finish off my high compression engine. then i wanna build a bench dyno, run it in then blast it into the car "ovenight". should make a good dominos delivery vehicle!

To tell the truth I did have some sort of hybrid system in mind, if it happened to work out that way. I live in a very hilly area where KERS would be a useful option to save fuel, although my main concern is simply to have enough traction to make it up the steepest bits of a few hills that can stall me. Fitting chains and removing them twice in one journey is no joke with frozen hands. It is easier having two spare wheels with chains already fitted and a trolley jack, but even that is a PITA :)

Something kinky about fitting a live axle at the rear of a Micra. Maybe I will ;-)

Or how about those motor-in-a-wheel setups? Two of those at rear would be good. Probably, just 5BHP each side would be enough to make the difference on ice and packed snow.

Then again, if a 4wd K11 has already been done, that takes the fun out of it a bit.

How about 4 FZR1000 engines, one at each corner? Sorry, only kidding!

I've been thinking more. If it weren't for the size and fuel consumption, I'd find it easy to find a car to suit. A4 quattro has the proper 3 diff system and the option of a diesel. Vitara is another option. My trouble is finding something small and light for economy in a hilly area.

So maybe the 4wd K11 would be worth looking for? Does anyone know what sort of 4wd it has and any other cars it shared bits with?

there was an electric motor rear drive, and a cvt g/box with a rear power take-off iirc (i can remember posting pics ages ago)

My trouble is finding something small and light for economy in a hilly area.

small and light : panda 4x4 first gen. real 4wd unlike the citroen ax.

The trouble with the 4x4 k11 : only with automatic gearbox.

IMO, modified rear axle from panda, "spacer" between gearbox and engine and 2 fuelcell to let space for transaxle is the "easiest" way .

freeze19: What sort of spacer are you talking about? The only serious transmission mods I tried in the past have been RWD and Minis :)

I had a bad experience with a Justy. One of the older 1.2 triples. Everything on the body rusted in one year, but also one of the rear drive shafts came loose. It was probably already loose when I bought it, but I didn't have time to notice before the first ice. It went halfway up a hill in 4wd, then started slipping back.

Anyway, a Justy isn't very Micra, is it :)

Nope its not but its the closest you'll get in terms of fitment. Neither if my cars are very micra apart from the shells

Anyway you shouldn't have that issue this time as I'd assume all parts would be serviced before fitting.

If you're going to look for a 4wd micra then I bid you good luck

Back