• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Really? The ones that comes off my car were all flaky

Aye, the original Pi springs I had looked like that after 5 years but I just fitted them and didn't take any additional steps towards corrosion prevention other than the factory applied coating.

I T-9 everything that goes on the car before install, especially if it's carbon steel. In fact, if there's an option not to use carbon steel I wont. I have also yet to find anything even remotely close in terms of corrosion prevention performance with minimal downsides.

I don't use the car as a daily driver either, which obviously helps, and if we end up out on salty roads the car is always profusely hosed down to help inhibit corrosion.

It's a bit like field of dreams, 'leave it and it will come'. Carbon steel corrodes rapidly in a saline environment that is rich in oxygen.

If only we could still cad plate things...

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
Aye, the original Pi springs I had looked like that after 5 years but I just fitted them and didn't take any additional steps towards corrosion prevention other than the factory applied coating.

I T-9 everything that goes on the car before install, especially if it's carbon steel. In fact, if there's an option not to use carbon steel I wont. I have also yet to find anything even remotely close in terms of corrosion prevention performance with minimal downsides.

I don't use the car as a daily driver either, which obviously helps, and if we end up out on salty roads the car is always profusely hosed down to help inhibit corrosion.

It's a bit like field of dreams, 'leave it and it will come'. Carbon steel corrodes rapidly in a saline environment that is rich in oxygen.

If only we could still cad plate things...

Could the paint flake have weakened the spring and caused it to snap? I couldnt believe it when i seen it and matt was shocked to hear it too. After looking at my shocks too there going to need some sort of covers like polly's doing as they are beginning to flake also :( got other rust issues to deal with first though

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Could the paint flake have weakened the spring and caused it to snap? I couldnt believe it when i seen it and matt was shocked to hear it too. After looking at my shocks too there going to need some sort of covers like polly's doing as they are beginning to flake also :( got other rust issues to deal with first though

Without investigating further, it's difficult to give a sure reason for failure.

However, if I had to guess, I'd say it's more likely to be a result of corrosion induced hydrogen embrittlement given the state of your car.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
Few snow piccies :)

35238C99-A3D6-43DB-B3D6-6A1905A7B050-18535-00000C05BBFC2016.jpg

AC3388A7-85C6-487C-82FC-5AB44BB57636-18535-00000C05C3B2AE71.jpg

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
More snow piccies, was bored so went out exploring the cars limits and i now realise there isnt a place my car cant go (where theres road, cant go offroading lol) Ive been up to the highest point just outside dundee where there were no tyre tracks for the last 1-200m

Near my mates where its meant to be difficult to reach (wasnt even a struggle)
image-10.jpg

On the way up to the highest point
image-11.jpg

At the top, didnt want to go up to the gate purely because it was super deep and i needed to make a u turn :p
image-12.jpg

On the way down (snow as high as my car on the left)
image-13.jpg

A hill my mate couldnt get up (too easy)
image-14.jpg

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
This weekend me and glen are going to be making a start on the patching up. Probs aim at doing the rear ones first because my dad was in the back when I picked him up tonight and he said the seats were wet/damp. Then there's the other 2 patches to be done, still to rake around the rest of the body before I commit to trying to pass the MOT. Also still to do the roll bar links front and back and rear cylinder and shoes/spring kit. Then I'd like to trace and fix this oil leak, it's in the region of the oil pressure switch/oil filter/sumo area and is minor. Just hope the emissions can somehow make it through or I'm going to have to go back to standard and reload the base map on.

Also crail is on the 10th February so I'm going to go along to set a time so I can work on it throughout the year and hope to break into the 13's. (weather dependant)

Cheery :)

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
POST CURRENTLY WORK IN PROGRESS DUE TO ****TY PHOTOBUCKET!!!

N/S rust cut out

image-15_zpsaa3e927c.jpg

Patch cut and shaped

image-15_zps181dc776.jpg

Patch welded

image-15_zps7656e9f9.jpg

Zinc primed

image-15_zps5398fe82.jpg

Stonechip and sealed

image-15_zps7d28ba1b.jpg

O/S rust cut out

image-15_zpsbbb01e7b.jpg

Patch cut and shaped

image-15_zpsffb0005d.jpg

Patch welded

image-15_zpsf8718635.jpg

Zinc primed

image-15_zpsfcf8a69d.jpg

Stonechip and sealed

image-15_zps4e8f08ea.jpg

So thats 2 of 4 done, doing the other 2 next saturday then that leaves the drop links and brakes etc and hopefully ill have an mot certificate :D huge thanks to glen for today

BONUS PIC

image-15_zps2ac04b39.jpg

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
Had a brainwave regarding my only MOT worry (emissions)

Remember I made this temporary downpipe-cat exhaust to hook up to my old stainless janspeed?

image-15_zps3e5b9908.jpg

Well if I remove the custom exhaust and fit this with a cat and standard cat back there's a chance I could get passed the emissions.

And on Saturday were back onto the patching up after we've finished doing glens temporary 2.0ltr exhaust lol

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
While at glens yesterday doing his car i got a lick off paint on my headlight intake. Yes its not performance enhancing but its just for looks

image-15_zps07a1f673.jpg

image-15_zps8485b90d.jpg

image-15_zpsaf60cad1.jpg

We also got my rear drop links but i fitted them the opposite way round because on one side my exhaust was knocking off it. Is there anything wrong with fitting them this way??

image-15_zpsf90ebcb6.jpg

image-15_zpsce4ab93d.jpg

Also got over to crail today, was actually dry/cold but windy! Managed to pull off a decent time to start the year with, i lost twice which were my 8th race and 2nd last. One was a DC5 integra which looked to have plenty money thrown at it, i did beat him by a few metres the first time we raced but he got me the next time by about the same! Then my mate in his mazda 6 mps beat me by a fair bit due to the rain making an appearance and his 4wd system lol im happy with what ive got as i know there are easily improvements to be had as i deliberately took the car down 'standard' to set a time :)

image-15_zpsb8ea74fe.jpg

Ok :) im defo needing to go and sort out my times, think ive got some fueling issues too :( gonna fit my fpr and maybe a set of 14s and see if i can beat it as that was just an embarrasment of a day haha

Well trackings out quite badly and it kept bogging down in third, 18.1 :( depressing i had most cars 1st and 2nd but just kept loosing power. Hopefully the fpr will help that out, never managed to get a run in the dry cause of the bloody linkage

awwww man gutted i thought it would of been snowing at crail, fancy doing me one of those headlamps for the passenger side?

gunna go up end of the month, sure you can scrape some cash together for a race stani. or we can race for cash!!

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
awwww man gutted i thought it would of been snowing at crail, fancy doing me one of those headlamps for the passenger side?

gunna go up end of the month, sure you can scrape some cash together for a race stani. or we can race for cash!!

Apart from the wind and the 1 o'clock rain/hail the conditions were great for a few hours, if i have more piping i can make one but im doubtful as glen got all my spare bits from what i remember, will have a look! If i have a spare £50 ill make it but will need babysitters too! And no racing for cash, i only do v5's LOL

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Nice to see some 1/4 times being set. I'm hopeful that finally some of these CG's will be my ST time @ pod.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
Nice to see some 1/4 times being set. I'm hopeful that finally some of these CG's will be my ST time @ pod.

Cheers, im glad ive stuck at it. What time did your ST get? Unfortunately i cant ever see me making santa pod so beating that time elsewhere means nothing unless by a good margin which wont happen

Perfect, ill get that done when ive spare time mike. Ill leave painting to you ;)

Ah that would be awesome, has to be worth 20 quid eh?

£50, surely it doesnt cost you that much does it, do you have to pay £10 entry plus £15 to race?? Been at least five years since I was last there.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
Ah that would be awesome, has to be worth 20 quid eh?

£50, surely it doesnt cost you that much does it, do you have to pay £10 entry plus £15 to race?? Been at least five years since I was last there.

Aye perfect, and i was half tank fuel £29 (21LTRS) £10 entry and £15 to race, then food and drink so its more like £60.....

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
14.01 @ 100.1 is my best time.

Nice, maybe the difference in surfaces?

Yesterday after work i made a start on fitting new rear cylinders/shoes and spring kit. Managed to get the drivers side done before it started to rain so finished the passenger side today. Had a few problems especially trying to remove the brake line, turns out i had to chap a 10mm spanner onto the 11mm fitting but upon turning it the brake line was trying to twist with it so some WD40 and back/forward turning i was able to remove them damage free. Got my dad to help with the bleeding and setting them up evenly as its a pain going back and forth! One other thing in the new spring kit the longest springs were different colours (one red and one black) turns out there sided and i didnt realise until i opened up the passenger drum so had to take the other one apart and swap springs! Anyway glad thats out the way, just 2 patches and exhaust to swap and i may have myself an MOT.

Heres the drivers side complete but with the red passenger side spring (i thought it didnt quite look right)

image-15_zpsc073c359.jpg

Heres it is again with the correct spring

image-15_zps9918d455.jpg

And the passenger side done

image-15_zpsafa716c2.jpg