• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Im waiting on the turbo, oil feed/return, fuel rail/injectors, gts-t fuel pump, discs, brake lines and some reducer elbows etc. There are other small bits but they can wait

let the pictures do the talking eh?

f4728655.jpg

371f594a.jpg

PROBLEMS

this is the turbo fitted and the altenator hanging on its 2 bottom bolts, ive swung it up and its going to hit so ive thought of 2 options. i can bring the altenator forward and use a longer belt
0965ecf5.jpg

4d96608a.jpg

or i can make up 3x50mmx25mm brackets which have 2 holes in each, the top hole will be bolted onto the original altenator position then the lower hole which will be about 20-30mm lower will be the altenators new position. if you have a suggestion please say :)

next in the way is the dipstick pipe, but as you can see from the picture the piece of metal that its hitting can simply be cut off.
560b3ed3.jpg

now for the glanza downpipe
c5841476.jpg

4ac4184f.jpg

doesnt quite reach as its hitting the block where the front mount bolts in, so im going to do some cutting/grinding to reshape the layout of that downpipe then have it welded back together. if it doesnt look like its going to work with a mount being there then i can always not fit the front mount and use one of these instead to take a bit of the movement

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Eng...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ae8bffbe

cheers guys

Been at it again. The altenator is now bolted up and clearing the turbo inlet. I put a few washers behind the top bracket to give it a bit of throw but now a larger belt is needed. I also cut the back piece of the turbo to clear the dipstick pipe by a few mm. Offered up the actuator which i need to make a bracket for to mount in its new position. Once again theres millimeteres of clearance lol now for the downpipe ive cut it alot and once welded its going to be just right once again tiny clearance against the block and the front mount will fit once i take a small edge off it. Some pics

e5af1457.jpg

b695b1be.jpg

6472bc98.jpg

371ddbb3.jpg

66ea8546.jpg

5390f2f7.jpg

5d89b006.jpg

54cac378.jpg

p.s. The tape is for holding it together for photo purposes only lol

good work on the turbo build stani, ive followed a few of your builds in the past and seen you race at crail, met up with a lad called jeem back in the day when he was into micras and sold a few of his mates some jdm micra parts, not sure if you hang around with them, last i heard they were into volvo t5's :grinning:, thought id ask as everyone knows everyone up in bonny scotland:laugh:

just have one question up to now, what car is the intercooler designed for,apart from a micra ofcourse?

Thanks for the comments guys (Y)

Baguette- ive read that you can get 220whp upwards but that not what im aiming for. 180 at fly will make me happy. Oh and there good up to 18psi boost which ill not be taking it to aswell

Micramike- i know who your talking about and we used to hang about but things happen and we no longer do. The intercooler is universal really so designed for anyone in the same situation as me

Thanks for the comments guys (Y)

Micramike- i know who your talking about and we used to hang about but things happen and we no longer do. The intercooler is universal really so designed for anyone in the same situation as me

aye i dont think i ever got around to meeting u though buddy, i used to spend alot of time up in dundee as my ex was at uni there, but now i spend most my time in sydney,australia:suspect: think there was another lad on here from dundee that had a mint white super s but ended up getting broke into bits, cant remember his name either, #### memory ive got!!! i'll be back in june and plan on hitting the micra scene so a run up to dundee might be on the cards if you fancy gan a spin, show me the local saxo scene haha:laugh:

Thats so close to fitting...Looks like if the new manifold flange was just a little higher up and little further out you'd have had next to no problems bolting it straight on.

Shouldnt be to hard to match a belt up for the alternator. :)

Mike- that'll be craig? That car got painted red and put through a speed camera with one of my old cars reg plates on it to try an get me more points. Not a nice thing to do eh? And our town is boring nowadays, cant remember last time i was out maybe 3-4 weeks and it only lasted 5 mins lol

Solarice- its all fitted now :D very tight though piccies!

Downpipe welded up
493841cb.jpg

Downpipe/block clearance
fb44083b.jpg

Re-engineered front mount
d5eff0e9.jpg

Downpipe/middle support
2495e74f.jpg

Finished article
07c94c8a.jpg

Does that front mount actually do anything? I've just taken one off and it was very loose and didn't look as though it would do anything apart from stop the engine moving too much if say the rear-mount failed. I'm sure Frank runs without it fitted now.

Cheers pepo! And 1275 it doesnt do alot no. Id love to make it a solid mount though as these engines have alot of backwards movement. Thinking of fitting a flexi on the next part of the exhaust im doing as the engine moves along with the complete exhaust without it.....

Looking sweet (you run to the welders). :D I'd presonally file the corner off the engine serial area, as it looks very tight. You think it'll clear once its all bolted up?

Yeah i'd get a flexi stuck on that, will relieve alot of stress on the mounts.

Looking sweet (you run to the welders). :D I'd presonally file the corner off the engine serial area, as it looks very tight. You think it'll clear once its all bolted up?

Yeah i'd get a flexi stuck on that, will relieve alot of stress on the mounts.

I just nipped in at 8am this morning and said call me when you can manage it. 4 hours later it was ready to be picked up :D there gonna weld my fuel rail too and the next part of the exhaust. One thing is that its mild steel the janspeed pipe i bought so think im gonna have to buy some nice stainless bits to complete the system

Im going to file the corner off if it needs it as all the gaskets are to be fitted still so that will shuffle it in either direction by 1-2mm. List of whats next:

Find 3xfine threaded nuts for downpipe to bolt on

Find slightly larger altenator belt

Make an RB25 fuel rail/injectors fit the micra inlet

Create the remaining part of the exhaust system (downpipe-cat)

Make bracket to mount actuator

Plug oil gallery holes in the front of the turbo and do the oil feed/drain pipes (when they come)

Does that front mount actually do anything? I've just taken one off and it was very loose and didn't look as though it would do anything apart from stop the engine moving too much if say the rear-mount failed. I'm sure Frank runs without it fitted now.

aye, twas binned a while back :grinning: (and done a dyno and 1/4 mile sessions since) and the brackets cut away too lol

Attachments

• SDC11777.JPG
    SDC11777.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 899
Top job :)

Would be a shame not to have a full stainless system haha. Cat back on mine, has been on the road for years now and still looks like new.

Excellent work stani!! :)

The 1.3 auto I just removed didn't have a mount or a bracket on the cross member??

Like the idea with the engine damper and you will definitely need a flexi mate

If you rev mine on neutral you can see my flexi absorbing the rocking of the engine :)

How much fuel rail cost you mo!?

Fuel rail/injectors and loom was £110 delivered. My big idea was crushed to bits when i recieved it as the guy measured it completely wrong! Injector centres on a micra is 80mm which i asked the guy to measure the 6 cylinder rail. He replied 80mm i was like can you please confirm its 80mm and he replied yes it is so bought it to find out he measured inbetween injector circumferences :(

HA WAS 1 WEEK AGO I BOUGHT THE MANIFOLD/DOWNPIPE

better slow down here cya in 3 months!

Im not sure but they look similar. I want to be able to interchange them if they are different so bought the loom. Was only £25 delivered :)

Small things have happened as im now waiting on the respray date to come, i picked up my 6PK700 (standard being 6PK678) belt which is 22mm bigger than the standard micra belt and it fits great so thats another thing solved. Im having problems with the oil feed as there all different thread sizes etc but ill get there in the end. The oil return on the sump is done so long as i can sort out the problems im having with the turbo fitting side of things. Some pictures :)

1 rusty sump
88a9bd59.jpg

Drill a hole in it
13bb001e.jpg

Add a fitting
198c0d36.jpg

Voila
1c26b2c9.jpg

could have cleaned it up :p the engine that you seem to be building it on... is that going into the car or being used to mock it up?

It will be sanded down and sprayed black once the main things are dealt with. Engine is purely for getting everything fitted. Thats why im not removing that sump to do the return or removing the oil gallery plug on the head. Most parts should be bolt on when the time comes :D

Good luck on the head oil feed the little ####ing barsteward! I had to drill mine, snapped a extractor in it!!

Had to drill that out and hammer a flat head socket adapter in it

My advice, let the engine get to operating temp before attempting to remove

That's the only way I found it successful!!

Looking good mate keep it up

stan you could also take off the plastic cage at the back of the alternator if its catching the turbo inlet. i took mine off cos it was touching the turbo gtir elbow.

Had another spare 45 mins today. Removed the oil gallery on a spare head to see whats going to work. Oil feed plugs straight it so thats good so am just needing an m10/oil feed adapter. Also got the turbo side of the return done. Not happy with what i had to do to the fitting so i may change this part just before i make a start

537088f9.jpg

0881f36a.jpg

Did you get the oil kit from that link i posted in my topic? If so your a jammy git cos they're no longer available and i need one :( Was gonna see if anyone had the thread types needed for the unions and get some made from scratch,thats unless i can find a proper kit?

Awesome work as usual Stani! I must say that downpipe is huuuge!

no i bought my kit a couple weeks ago and it come from america and to be honest its a cheap one. should have got the usual japanese one that ive always bought. once my turbo is bolted on ive got about 2 inches of that braided return line to fit and it looks like it'll kink so im going to buy a different one when the time comes.

agree with you on that fitting stani, no way it would clear that manifold, and between us, its hideous(no offence), cant say ive ever seen an aeroquip fitting used on turbo oil lines, how do they seal ?

Mike it fits no problem theres just not enough room from that fitting to the other to have a straight piece of hose as it kinks. The seem to take a good seal yeah, If only they made the adapter about half the size it is. So im going to buy 2 of these

64441108.jpg

And use my braided pipe inbetween :)

Mike it fits no problem theres just not enough room from that fitting to the other to have a straight piece of hose as it kinks. The seem to take a good seal yeah, If only they made the adapter about half the size it is. So im going to buy 2 of these

64441108.jpg

thats what i got for mine mate, from kinguwa turbo along with my oil feed, seem like quality items to be fair

looking goos mate, did ya polish your turbo?

Well fancy that stani doing another turbo build (Y)

Looks like its all coming together well. Nice find on the starlet manifold ;)

you could probably make them stani, or get someone nearby to do them, your bound to have some old flanges laying around and some copper pipe, or use air pipe joiners and get them braised onto the flange, thats if you know someone that could do it

Martin, ive had all my previous oil parts from kinaguwa turbo. Always been good stuff. And ive just given the turbo a wipe :)

just had a massive argument with toyosport through tuningpartsbay on ebay.
they supplied me with a "universal" turbo oil and water line kit. cost a small fortune. and it doesnt fit.....

its for a Garrett T4 ONLY. so i argued that this is not "universal" as advertised then is it?
raising it with ebay seeing if i can get my money back or the right kit for my GT2560R..... Gits...lol:glare:

Is that a SS version stani? I too also had to wait over a month for my mild steel janspeed order off rallynuts yrs ago.

Back