3d printing an intake pipe...

I found John_D's thread on improving the airflow to the CR engine a while ago and decided I'd like to do something similiar. The problem is this: Apparently, it's basically impossible to find that intake pipe (from the Renault Megane) here (in Germany), and I'm not sure if scrapyards have reopened yet.
However, I have access to a 3d printer which is capable of printing PETG filament. That means whatever I print should keep its shape at up to 60°C.
My question is this: Has someone measured what kind of temperatures the intake pipe has to endure?
If it's always below those 60°, it might just be possible to create an entirely custom pipe... ?

EDIT: Apparently the material I have is capable of handling 75°C even.

Last edited:
Should be good if its possible, I guess the other option is to make a fiberglass intake or part of one to match up to the existing one?

I've measured the airbox at 45 celcius and it felt hot to the touch, but my timing may have been slightly off at the time

Not sure if it will be cooler or hotter while running at speed, I'd imagine the problem would be after a motorway run when it's idling

Thanks for measuring it!
Did you get measurements of the pipe to the airbox as well (since this is the part I'd like to replace)?

If it doesn't get much hotter than that, I should be in the green...

Thanks for measuring it!
Did you get measurements of the pipe to the airbox as well (since this is the part I'd like to replace)?

If it doesn't get much hotter than that, I should be in the green...
It was a last summer and I noticed the whole bonnet and top of the engine was very hot, was trying to diagnose the issue and landed on timing eventually. I think the intake pipe is above the exhaust manifold on these cars but if you can redirect it further away it should stay cool. You can get heat shielding wrap for it, not the typical use but if you did that the air running through it should keep it cool and the insulating wrap should keep the heat away from it

I know that the rocker cover on a lot of cars is switched to plastic now, the top end doesn't get too hot if the car is running as it should. If you could find out what type of plastic they use you could probably find the temperature it can withstand on the datasheet and compare

you can get these fairly cheap on ebay if you stay away from the medical ones, around £20, they're good for measuring temperature at idle if the car runs but you'd need more complicated sensors to measure enginebay temp while the car is moving. Named sensors and a datalogger, or run a wire through to a laptop inside the car

I don't like the idea of rerouting the pipe, since I know too little to do that properly. Besides, I still hope that the space is enough to not get the pipe that hot...
Thanks for the tip with the thermometer, I think I'll go that way and see what kind of temps I'm getting right after a ~30min drive including motorway. The idea with the heat shielding is good, I'll check that out too.

I don't like the idea of rerouting the pipe, since I know too little to do that properly. Besides, I still hope that the space is enough to not get the pipe that hot...
Thanks for the tip with the thermometer, I think I'll go that way and see what kind of temps I'm getting right after a ~30min drive including motorway. The idea with the heat shielding is good, I'll check that out too.
yeah true, that might be for the best with it being naturally aspirated