2011 1.5 dci turning but not starting without assistance. Runs normally once it starts.

Hello! My little micra is my pride and joy. However, recently he started having trouble starting. He would turn and take longer and longer to start, eventually not starting at all when you turn him. Push starting and starting with quick-start spray did the trick and he would run smoothly as normal but as soon as you turn him off he won't start again without assistance. I had tests done by multiple people and most of them told me injectors are faulty. However further tests revealed that they were not at fault. The mechanics here are baffled and my funds are becoming very limited. We live remotely so the nearest nissan dealer is rather far away, I am saving to take my baby there but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as to what is wrong? Here's what we know - its not the injectors, crank sensor, glowplugs, or fuel filter, fuses have been checked and they're fine, little car's power is not affected when he runs and he does not smoke. He has around 170 000km (106 000miles) on the clock.

Hi, have you checked the alternator,battery,ground terminals to make sure they are clean and making good contacts.
This would be a good thing to check not that complicated to do if you clear each one separately.
Would not harm or change anything. Probably would not take very long with the right tools,cost much for someone to check out for you.
If its a corrosion problem on the negative terminal of the battery you might not need to do much at all.
Good luck with finding the answers you need here on the msc forums.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
T
Hi, have you checked the alternator,battery,ground terminals to make sure they are clean and making good contacts.
This would be a good thing to check not that complicated to do if you clear each one separately.
Would not harm or change anything. Probably would not take very long with the right tools,cost much for someone to check out for you.
If its a corrosion problem on the negative terminal of the battery you might not need to do much at all.
Good luck with finding the answers you need here on the msc forums.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely not the battery. Its quite new and the terminals have little to no corosion and are secured. When we turn it it doesn't struggle at all, it just doesn't want to start. It has begun to run down a bit because of our continued attempts at starting it to find a solution though. To be sure I will do a double check on the battery. I'm thinking this will have a rediculously simple solution - like the battery for instance - because we have checked every possible "complicated" problem we can think of and probably overlooking something small.

OP
OP
T
That definitely worth a check. Haven't really thought about it since theres no loss of power. Its like it doesn't get enough fuel to start but once it starts its fine.

Have you checked if you get any error codes with a scan tool or similar.

edit :- Here is are a few link of what I think it could be..

You may have already looked at this part or the mechanics may have or may have overlooked.

error code :- P0340

What causes the P0340 code?
  • A camshaft position sensor circuit wiring that is broken, shorted, or corroded.
  • A camshaft position sensor circuit connector that is broken, shorted, or corroded.
  • A faulty camshaft position sensor.
  • A failed crankshaft position sensor.
  • A faulty PCM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
Have you checked if you get any error codes with a scan tool or similar.

edit :- Here is are a few link of what I think it could be..

You may have already looked at this part or the mechanics may have or may have overlooked.

error code :- P0340

What causes the P0340 code?
  • A camshaft position sensor circuit wiring that is broken, shorted, or corroded.
  • A camshaft position sensor circuit connector that is broken, shorted, or corroded.
  • A faulty camshaft position sensor.
  • A failed crankshaft position sensor.
  • A faulty PCM.

Thanks! I'll take a look today. The mechanics said they put it on the computer and that it pointed to the injectors. But the last two mechanics did a thorough check on them and said that they were definitely fine. My husband and father also checked them and from what they know the injectors were fine too. This country has a habit of taking advantage of people that don't know of better so I'm guessing the former were trying to make a quick profit.

I think if it were the injectors it might run and judder at idle and be harder to start than normal.

You should try and pick up a cheap scan tool obd 2 if you have not got one yet.
This way you can check for the codes and if you do have to take to a mechanic you have a Little clue as to what results you see before.
These will not check everything but the whole engine will be covered so you should at least find the actual problem or it will point closer to where the problem actually is.

Don't give up on it keep looking..

OP
OP
T
I know it's been very long but finally got some error codes, and I want to give this thread some closure.
No idea what the codes mean but maybe you guys can help? The guy who got them for me also can't find anything on them that's "relative to the problem". I made him give me the codes to try and figure something out for myself.

I've ordered a crank sensor just in case because they are rather cheap, just to be absolutely sure about that. If all of this won't give results I've finally saved enough to take the car to Nissan next week and have them fix it once and for all.
Oh and correcting myself again - it is a K13.

Here are the codes that came up:
0908 unidentified DTC
7000 unidentified DTC
850A unidentified DTC
8005 unidentified DTC