• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

2002 Micra OEM Project

Well I bought a silver K11 1.0l Tempest 3 door with 65k and FSH.

I am going to be teaching my wife how to drive in the car so ill not be doing a lot of heavy molding but I will be improving the car with some OEM options that it didn't come with as standard.

PLANS
-Repair / Replace faulty key remote for central locking
-Parcel shelf with OEM speakers
-Paint steel wheels silver and replace plastic trims with wheel centers
-Deal with any rust and underseal arches
-Full service including oil, PAS fluid, gear box oil, all filters, Bosch super 4 plugs and HT leads
-Replace faulty OEM cassette radio with something blue tooth / DAB / USB
-Replace dim interior lighting with white LEDs
-Clear side repeaters and chrome indicator bulbs all round
-Remove orange filters from head lights
-Install a boot light (if anyone knows of a guide that would be awesome)
-Fit OEM fog lights and replace lighting stalk with one that works with front fogs
-Upgrade head light bulbs

I'd also like to retro fit electric windows but this might be a little beyond my skill level

Pics to come

So my mighty micra currently looks like something your granny would drive!

20141206_105625_zpszdwlxjmr.jpg

But one thing that can soon be marked off my list is this!

20141214_175849_zpspzvaizf3.jpg

It's a bit tatty right now but I got it for exactly £0! I've got a mate who's stripping a micra and sticking a SR20DET in it so he's got pretty much an entire interior he wanted rid of so I took this! My car is pretty immaculate inside so this is going to need an deep clean before its a loud in my car!

20141214_175907_zpsbl3677xx.jpg

20141214_175915_zpsly6zagck.jpg

20141214_175940_zpsg68bfrol.jpg

So I'm going hoover it, scrub it with interior shampoo on the fabrics and cockpit cleaner on the grilles to see how much of its former glory can be recovered! Then to see if my car has the wiring behind the dash for the rear speakers! The plugs are in the boot so fingers crossed!

I'll post pictures on Tuesday when it's all done :)

20141216_110314_zpsebtptaea.jpg

So the shelf didn't clean up fantastically and when I test fitted it I realised theres a void for a brake light, mines at the top of the window so plans are at changing!

The grilles look like they will slot into my existing shelf with some drilling and cutting for the speakers and screw holes.

The originals that came in the shelf are 17cm and ate just screwed into the grilles so nice easy swap!

Plans are now to spray the grilles to match my original shelf. Upgrade the original speakers in the shelf to a pair of Vibe Slick 6 speakers and retro fit them to the grilles, then retro fit the grilles to my original shelf. I'll use the original wiring guides the keep everything under the shelf tidy, simple job of removing the speaker blocks and replacing them with spades.

I'll heat shrink all the wiring to keep the OEM look even whey the boot is open. Then see how it all sounds hooked up and contemplate replacing the door speakers with the same.

I am getting a Pioneer DEH-X3600Ui head unit for crimbo! I went for this unit because you can customise the colouration to match your interior... again to keep the OEM feel but enhance the car. So ill be fitting the on Christmas day and seeing how the standard speakers fair up :)

So I haven't really had time to do much with the mighty Micra but just ordered some stickers and had a pioneer cd player fitted.

3378528da65751e3a67a7e8e66d5c4a1.jpg

The cars getting a decent clean tomorrow, I'm going to peanut butter the plastics and see how they come up.

So the weather on Sunday day was horrendous so I was delayed in doing anything on the mighty micra.

The weather's been better today and my stickers came so I gave the car a quick wash and wax.

e5cc05488183c9f77bf8922166baa270.jpg

3e724ec00a095798f3c85eab304438a1.jpg

While washing the car I noticed the the Micra and Tempest stickers were beginning to come unstuck so just removed them, went to find the T-Cut to get rid of 13 years of crude that's ingrained into the paint and discovered I'm all out!! So it's going to look terrible for a short time.

faa94107ddf424eec88d12532405bd65.jpg

Got my MSC stickers on and a nice little comedy touch on the back. My Paul Walker tribute stickers weren't right but after a quick email they are sending out some replacements.

f6dca1e5848745ea86f70e87d1041a77.jpg

e5cbb2be75c2a6edae406be9b9aca12a.jpg

I noticed a good few stone chips around the front so I'll be getting the paint code and mixing up a touch up pen at work

cee98603a7389066e64146c2b6d6b8d2.jpg

I gave the interior a deep clean the other day and it's incredible how tidy the inside is for a 13 year old car!

649eafd4b52eaf8373c158d930ed3263.jpg

Next job is going to be to remove the tatty pre facelift parcel shelf and put the original back in. I am going to remove the speakers from the tatty shelf and retro fir them to the tidier one. I'll respray the grills satin black to keep a OEM look in the darker coloured shelf.

Quick update:

My Paul Walker tribute sticker arrived!!

32d4dac157b166b7edb8d4566462614d.jpg

And I went to take the mask off the MSC stickers and the bloody stuff was stuck harder to the sticker than the sticker was to the glass! So they're now back off!

So I polished Persil on my lunch break today with a mate, full T-Cut Metallic and Autoglym Super Resin... it's come up awesome!

Before
20141206_105625_zpszdwlxjmr.jpg

After
de6a90dd6845f715ba2cd8801aa7647d.jpg

Mind the dents lol
0b51fe19600068f5a56782ba952400ff.jpg

I need to get some smooth peanut butter, got some chunky stuff in the house but I don't think it'll do a great job lol!

Hi Kev the Mighty Micra looks great I have always liked the metallic silver colour suits the shape of the car. My project 2002 (Nov) 1.4SE did not have rear parcel shelf speakers so I replaced it with the one from my other donor 2002 CVT 1.4SE+ which had them. It was a very easy retro fit with the speakers plugs already in my SE behind the right side interior facia and also the rear speaker plugs were behind the CD player and I do find the original Micra rear shelf speakers are of good enough quality!

Thanks for sharing your project.

Cheers
Andy