2001 Y Micra Heater not working just weird rattle noise

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me - you usually can :)
So, I got my Mums old Micra as a second car last year and the heater didn't work when I got it apart from intermittently of no3. Changed resister card under the glove box and air filter and pollen filter and no problems until 10 months down the line.

Heater seems dead, the only weird thing that happens is if I tap under the glove box on a large black unit that appears to go into the engine bay (part of air filter / coolant system) I get like a rickety noise, a bit like what a fan would sound like as if it is clapped out - you can sort of hear some kind of turning noise accompanied by a sound a bit like finger nails tapping on a desk. It lasts for about two minutes then slows down to silence. During this time very weak heat comes out.

Probably worse description ever haha.
Any ideas? Resistor is immaculate, no burns on board etc. Fuses ok etc.

Many Thanks,
Chris

Blow a fan through the air intake and see if the air comes out warm when running the heater.

Could be that the motor is knackered from having something stuck in it.

OP
OP
Z
Certainly willing to give it a go yes. Last time I heard of Haynes Manual they are basically gibberish to anyone other than a qualified mechanic??

Does anyone have this / willing to scan and upload section?

Any chance of a step by step to what / where?

Off the top of my head the blower motor is located on passenger side of the firewall in the engine bay so easy enough to remove to test it and I would assume you can just blow air in that way when its off to check for blockages.

If you've already replaced the resister card and you're fans still aren't working then I'd say its a safe bet its the blower motor thats gone.

OP
OP
Z
Off the top of my head the blower motor is located on passenger side of the firewall in the engine bay so easy enough to remove to test it and I would assume you can just blow air in that way when its off to check for blockages.

If you've already replaced the resister card and you're fans still aren't working then I'd say its a safe bet its the blower motor thats gone.

Thanks, that helps. I have just had a look on eBay and the part would be around £20 - think I know what I am looking for now from the picture in the listing. Here is hoping for a dry weekend then and nobody mithering me for at least an hour!

Will update on progress.,