2000-2002 Throttle body problem repaired for £6

Some of you may have seen some of my posts on the later TB problems, wouldnt idle when cold in the morning, wouldnt rev properly and had to feather the throttle to stop it stalling and warm up, once warm it was driveable but would stall when i stopped, once up to full operating temperature it ran fine.
Also on the motorway if i throttled off then back on it felt as though it was bogging down.

So i emailed a company about a repair kit that cost £110, they said if i told them the symptoms they could supply the faulty sensor only. So after explaining the above i got this reply;

You can just take the idle valve off the side of the throttle body it is held on with 2 bolts, then you will see it has 2 holes that the air flows through for the idle controll, they get dirty and clogged, so just give them a little squirt up and should resolve the problem.

So today i did this to see if it would work, when i started spraying the cleaner i could see a spring loaded piece of metal start to move, more spraying and a lot of black muck pooring out it got to be a shiney piece of metal that moved freely. Surely it cant be that simple i thought, so put it all back together again and fired it up (the 1st time it had started in the day) It was completely differtent, revs were up, ticked over a treat and revved fine, so all in all a very good day here.

The part to remove is a Bosch plastic unit on the back of the TB housing, held on by 2 hard to get to star bolts and one sensor plugged in, remove air box, undo the Bosch idle valve and spray with cleaner, refit and job is done.

Back