1999 Micra 1.0 16v

Firstly, apologies as I know what I'm about to ask has probably been asked many a time!

Here's my story!

I bought this little car for my Daughter and can't figure out what's going on with it at all.

Started out losing power when going up hill.
Kangaroo petrol when taking off.
Sometime stalls at lights and junctions, making it almost impossible to drive.
When you depress the accelerator, it wants to die on you as it already sits at very low revs when idling.

I have re-soldered the throttle body and then noticed that there was a hairline crack on the mass airflow. No problem, off to the scrap yard for another. Fitted that, not working either, then re-soldered that one and still the same!

New plugs, dizzy, leads, fuel filter etc and still the same. I then cleaned up the idle control valve and it sat a little better, but not quite right. Adjusted the idle control on the throttle body and the car was still cutting out at junctions etc.

When looking at the throttle body when running, I'm assuming the line inside should glow. Correct? The one next to the mass airflow? The one that came off the car glowed when running, however, as I say, the mass airflow had a hairline crack in it as someone had actually moved the mesh guard protecting it. Anyway, the one from the scrap yard, doesn't glow. Maybe another needed if that does indeed need to glow.

Fuel pump is ok, fuses are all in good order.

Now thinking ignition coil and yet another throttle body. After that, maybe a distributor complete.

Long winded I know.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tried all of the above Oliver. All fine in that respect.

Code is always coming up with malfunction on MAF. This is the 3rd from the scrap yard!

Thinking of just buying a new or reconditioned one now.

I don't think the odds are high for 3 T/B's to be broken..

Can the car rev if you soak the air filter in start-spray like i do in my video?

If TB resolder doesn't fix it I'd suspect the loom personally, loose connection or break in a wire somewhere

Guys. The throttle has a flat spot at the start if acceleration even with doing the air filter start. Traced the loom as best I can and seems fine. Wiggled wires when running and there's no change. Starting to lose my hair here!

When was car last serviced? Could be poor spark, maybe plug gap/deteriorated ht leads/bad coil?

I'm also trying to clean out the idle control valve properly here. Don't think I made a good job of it 1st tjme round as I couldn't get tbe screws off holding the electric connector! Tough buggers to get off!

Back