1999 K11 gearbox oil change 1.3L help ?

Hi guys need some help please, my micra is kind of making a grinding whirring kind of noise from the gearbox area when low on revs also changing from 3rd to 2nd or from 2nd to 1st is quite hard so i'm guessing a gearbox oil change is in need?? hopefully the box isn't mashed up,

anyway onto my question i need some clarification on the filling point i've seen a thread on here saying something about a fill port just behind the airbox after removing a 10mm nut (i have a pod filter) and somewhere else i've read there is a hole underneath the car on the gearbox where you insert a hosepipe well wouldn't gravity come into play when you take the pipe out to put the nut back.

all pictures for both filling points preferred as an answer thankyou !! it's a 1999 micra 1.3L Regards Asif.

drain plug is number 16 Asif, right behind the rad

1403774187240.png

About the "gravity" your right but when the GB oil comes back out of this plug hole you know you have the right level... as long as the car is level too :)

OP
OP
Asif
aah nice one skinner ! i thought it was underneath the car (underside of gearbox) i have a few reallife pictures i just took before your reply could you point out which one on there please i think im like 60% sure which one you are talking about, also do you use the same hole to refill or not?

OP
OP
Asif
oh **** haha, when skinner said behind radiator i just took pictures of any bolts i could see haha X_X my bad i'll take some more of the gearbox this time , but in the morning haha silly me

frank

Club Member
the level and drain plugs have a square hole in the middle asif :) (the level plug behind the rad, and the drain plug at the bottom)

OP
OP
Asif
right so if i understand right the drain is a plug with a square hole underneath and the filler is behind the rad? i just need a picture of the filler because i'm having a blonde moment LOL i'll also probs need an allen key of some sort to open the drain because of the square hole right? Cheers

OP
OP
Asif
sweet i'll give it a go once i've figured the filling hole, don't want to drain it then find out i can't find/open the filling hole haha i'll then be screwed

OP
OP
Asif
Frank do you have a picture for the speedo hole? cheers also is this the speedo you were on about before to help me run not too lean in the higher gears? and get more top end speed if so do i just disconnect when filling with oil

frank

Club Member
my g/box plugs and speed sensor wire are different to yours mate, there are pics of your type on here somewhere :)

OP
OP
Asif
ohh :(, i will try to find if not i'll post some pics up tomorrow maybe you can point me in the right direction from the pictures :D

OP
OP
Asif
Hey reg that looks just about right !! i jacked the car today and it looks like those are the same both have square holes in :p thankyou to everyone who contributed :D now just need some piping to fit into the filling hole lol

the pre face has a plug on the bottom that u can remove to drain the oil out from

and then just fill it back up from the speedo hole
1.0 small gearbox drain hole on bottom

Last edited: