1998 K11 Gearbox Noise

Hello everyone! First time poster here, need some advice please :)

Firstly, I have no mechanical expertise whatsoever so please bear that in mind! I have a problem with my Micra and I really dont want to get rid of it because I love my little car.

I have a grinding, whiny noise coming from the gearbox. Its been happening for a while but typical girly just turned the music up louder. Then, today the car has been impossible to get into first gear. If I try and hold it in it makes a horrendous grinding noise.

Does anyone have any idea (1) what this could be and (2) how much roughly its going to cost to fix? Because sadly, if it is going to be too expensive the Micra may need to be consigned to car heaven. Anyone have any idea also how much these are worth? It only got 53000 miles on it. Tiny bit of rust (that I've had welded so its fine) and also has just had 4 new tyres and brake pads. 4 months MOT left and 11 months tax.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Daisy x

you could pick up a g/box for about £50 daisy, + £100 to £200 fitting + £50 clutch, what area are you ?

Thank you for replying Frank. I'm in Oxfordshire. That doesn't sound too bad - do you think it could be repaired or do I definately need a new one?

Welcome to the club.

What litre is it Daisy? I have a spare 1.3 gearbox lying around if you need it. (Y)

Hi C0llis0n! Its a 1.0 :-( but thank you anyway. I'm assuming I cannot put a 1.3 gearbox in a 1.0? I've just checked - its definately a 1996 16 valve Micra GX.

Thank you for replying Frank. I'm in Oxfordshire. That doesn't sound too bad - do you think it could be repaired or do I definately need a new one?

crunchy gears are usually a clutch problem daisy, but a g/box whine usually means its shot :eek: (or very low on oil)
and most places will fit a new clutch while the g/box is off (as a matter of course)

Oh dear! It does make a total racket. When I had the tyres done in June the guy who did them checked my gearbox oil and it was OK - he did say the gearbox was making a noise but that he didnt have the equipment to take it apart for me (I have a friend who is does the basics for me tyre changes etc). Is it worth taking it to a Nissan garage?

a main dealer will charge about £300 labour + £300 for a recon box, and you,ll end up with a bill of about a grand :eek:
a member on here had a pre98 1.0 g/box for sale this week (£30 iirc) and try a local clutch place for a quote

Over a grand...not good! The car is worth no where near that :-( Would you have any idea on value as I may sell it. Sorry for all the questions - I just have very limited knowledge on cars!

Over a grand...not good! The car is worth no where near that :-( Would you have any idea on value as I may sell it. Sorry for all the questions - I just have very limited knowledge on cars!

probably £200 ish ? (and reclaim the taxdisc)

Hi Mckenziecz :) I'm going to have a look around and see if I can find a gearbox... if not I'm going to try and sell it I think. Sadly! If anyone on the forums is interested please let me know!

At least I'm pre-armed with some useful information fom you guys now...I know it needs a new gearbox and the rough price. I walked into a garage to get my tyres done (before I knew my helpful mate could do it) and the guy there seems to get out a special blonde girl price list! Quoted me £160 more than anywhere else (just to buy the tyres!) I would be very sad to have to sell though.

I totally understand the love for the Micra, its a fab car :) I'm not a modifier or an enthusiast but I get that. My brother is really really into modifying his - but sadly its not a Micra, its a 106 (booo!) It goes like s*** off a shovel though!

if gear selection is crunching then the clutch is not fully engaged which is caused by the clutch cable being too loose and so the bite point is very low beyond the travel of the pedal. this requires screwing the thumbscrew end to tighten the cable and so lift the biting point till its at halfway ensuring the clutch is fully engaged when the pedals depressed down.

difficulty selecting 1st/2nd gear and maybe rattling gearstick at certain revs/load is caused by worn gear selector bushes. the bushes have so much slack that at full left travel of the gearstick, the gearbox selector mechanism doesn't move far enough to align properly therefore when you push for 1st or 2nd you have to force it to align into the slot causing the notchy feel.
fixed by replacing the entire selector linkage with one thats less worn & tighter fitting bushes

Hi Daisy,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have had the exact same problem on my Micra. Unfortunately, it is the gearbox that has gone and it will need replacing. I have just finished replacing my gearbox (hence posting late) and whilst I had them both out, manually turning them really showed how broken it was.

Must be able to get a secondhand box from E Bay or the breakers for £50,I recently got a premium brand complete clutch kit for £50 ish & you should not be charged any more than £100 to fit it all in.Good luck with it...

ive recently heard this noise from my car and an ex nissan mechanic said its the main gearbox bearing and that it is a common fault

It's the bearings failing, causing the teeth to move around and grind against each other. The longer you leave it, the worse it will get.

Back