1994 issues

Hello.
I don't know if I am in the right place or if you guys can help me.
I am a 24 y/o Woman who has only been driving for 6 months and I know next to nothing about cars so please bear that in mind with any replies.
I have a 1994 Micra (Elsie), which has had a couple of issues. I appreciate that it might be due to my inexperience as a driver but as a rule I am perfectly capable with the driving, its the road awareness and rules of the road that newbies like my self fail most on.
A few weeks ago I was driving in town. I was just generally going up and down the gear box but I noticed that the revs didn't seem to die down as much as usual when I took my foot off the accelerator. I figured I'd keep my eye on it and see how it went.
When I was driving yesterday, I came to an open T junction, saw it was clear and tried to emerge. I was in second gear but I was still rolling. Its hard for me to describe but it just felt like the engine had died but there was non of that shuddering you get when a car stalls/nearly stalls. I shifted to 1st gear and it seemed to not make any difference. I had to clutch down and rev a few times to get it to go again. Bear in mind I didn't have to start the car again, it didn't stall. According to my BF the oil warning light did come on but it didn't stall.
A little later I was trying to pull off on quite a slope. I had the clutch up as high as I judged it needed but it kept rolling back. The engine had to be rev loads to get her to creep up the slope. We pulled over alittle up the road by a pub, which was still on a slope. Her idle was really struggling, very close to stalling while stationary. 15 mins later when we left the pub my partner drove it home. When he turned the engine on it was fine.
I love my Micra as it was family heirloom. My granddad bought her for £50 about 6 years ago and she's been used everyday by him in his window cleaning business and now I have her as my first car. But the idea of her suddenly failing on a busy road has scared the crap out of me.
Does this sound like a car fault or is it most likely to be me?
Would it be cost effective to repair or is it the beginning of the end for my Elsie?

your k11's old enough for the fuel pump to give in
also ignition switch wares out.
a throttle body service may help

As above, also stick a bottle of injector cleaner through the next tank, might help clear any guff in the lines ( on offer at tesco the other day for £2, normally £5).

Do these issues seem related?
Do you think these measures will help enough, considering the age of the car?
How much would a throttle body service likely cost?

^^ I did that, following the instructions. It's an easy fix and made a difference to my car's running. Doing an oil change, checking the plugs and the aforementioned flush will also help.

I spoke to my Granddad yesterday. He said he hasn't had her serviced since he had her, he's only changed the oil. That was over 6 years and over 30000 miles ago. And before that she was sat on a drive way for 3 years unused.
I'll just get her serviced to start with and I've bought some Redex. Give her a bit of TLC :)
Thanks for your help.

I spoke to my Granddad yesterday. He said he hasn't had her serviced since he had her, he's only changed the oil. That was over 6 years and over 30000 miles ago. And before that she was sat on a drive way for 3 years unused.
I'll just get her serviced to start with and I've bought some Redex. Give her a bit of TLC :)
Thanks for your help.

With that long being not serviced you should change at least these:

-Air filter
-fuel filter
-spark plugs
Also cleaning the maf wire and re-soldering the throttle body should be done.... New fuel pump would be next to check if those jobbies dont help :)

We've done a spark plug, air and fuel filter change. We bought the oil but that hasn't been done yet. The filters looked quite new according to my BF so my Gdad probably did change them and just forgot. The problem is still happening intermittently but it was intermittent before.
I've contacted a local garage about the throttle body. My BF moaned but I know if I left it to him, it would never get done.
The garage said that they wouldn't "service" it, they'd just fit a second hand one. Roughly £50 (they'd have to source one first) and about £40 labour. A new one would be £202 from ECP. I would be concerned that a second hand one would just have the same problems. I would be happy to pay for a new one even, if it meant that it would definitely fix the problem. But that's not a guaranteed is it?

With that long being not serviced you should change at least these:

-Air filter
-fuel filter
-spark plugs
Also cleaning the maf wire and re-soldering the throttle body should be done.... New fuel pump would be next to check if those jobbies dont help :)

I'd also recomend putting the injector cleaner in like some body previously mentioned along with 10-15 quids worth of supreme (97 ron) fuel and give it a good "hard" run.
start with the cheaper options first to try save cash! If it comes to needing a throttle body phone around a local breakers yard they may have one knocking about.

got any questions drop us a message

I put in a splash of Redex with the last few fill ups.
My BF is mostly handy with a car. He replaced the clutch last year for me, with the help of his Dad and the Haynes. Is replacing the throttle body an easy enough job for him?

I appreciate the offer. Would you be able to price up P&P for me?
I'm just still not 100% sure I should just get a £500 run about yet.

I put in a splash of Redex with the last few fill ups.
My BF is mostly handy with a car. He replaced the clutch last year for me, with the help of his Dad and the Haynes. Is replacing the throttle body an easy enough job for him?

I appreciate the offer. Would you be able to price up P&P for me?
I'm just still not 100% sure I should just get a £500 run about yet.
Should be around £26.99 posted 1-2 day courier.
I'll box it up tomorow and get weights/dimensions.

Should be around £26.99 posted 1-2 day courier.
I'll box it up tomorow and get weights/dimensions.
I'll PM you details, its got worse. :(
I drove 80 miles round trip yesterday to the beach. No issues except when I got there she actually did stall fully when sat at a set of lights with the clutch down to the floor. I had forgot to fill up tbh so she was rather empty but my BF said that shouldn't have caused that as she started right up again so she wasn't completely out.

It might NOT be a throttle body problem.

Don't really want you needlessly spending money.

Hope someone else can help you find out what is wrong :)

I understand its not definate but thats not alot of money to check one thing off. Especially if its a common problem might aswell replace it. Bf said if that doesnt help he'll look at the fuel pump next.

I have only just got around to buying a throttle body. Kept forgetting but she has got worse.
BF says she only does it once she is warm but once she warm she will stall every time I come to a stop or coast for a bit too long.
Does this help diagnose it any more accurately?

Sounds very much like clodos tb issue... took it off cleaned it up and replaced the idle control valve, its running great and sounds healthy again.

Back