• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

1993 Nissan Micra Super S - Mikey Mk2

First thing I want to sort is to find a fabricator that will build me a stainless steel tubular manifold and I also want to try and get myself an inlet plenum so I can mount an SR20 TB to it (will probably have to have one built).

I am undecided on a couple of things though (any advice would be welcome):

1. What type of turbo flange to get on the manifold
2. Whether to go top mount turbo or standard (downward) type

I am just trying to think of what setup will produce the cleanest layout in the engine bay and what will provide the best airflow linked up to an intercooler. I was planning on relocating the battery to the boot and putting the air filter where the battery used to be.

I will make a list and start to buy everything after Christmas so that I am ready to turbo when the warmer weather comes about.

Thanks for the heads up guys but I am dead set on a SS tubular one. I was thinking of getting the tubes myself, cutting them and spot welding them into place and then getting a professional welder to finish it? Or do you think it would be better for me to find someone to do it all for me? When I go to visit my mum I have access to cutting equipment, drill press, industrial lathe etc so I am fairly well equipped.

But I have never spot welded (let alone fully welded) anything before...

What welder do you have? That has an effect on what you do. Definitely mock it up yourself then have it welded.
You know the design is right and you'll know the welding is right

What welder do you have? That has an effect on what you do. Definitely mock it up yourself then have it welded.
You know the design is right and you'll know the welding is right

I don't have a welder yet, I was going to do a bit more research before I decided, if you have any suggestions that would be great.

I am beginning to think it may be easier to do what Stani did and buy a Glanza manifold and modify it to fit the Micra. I would want to cut the pipes so that it is angled out a bit more from the engine though, as I believe the fit he had was very tight against the block. Although this rules out a top mount Turbo option.

I don't mind spending a fair bit on boosting my K11 as I am going to keep it for around another 7 years or so, but I don't want to start throwing money at the car. I am planning on getting the pistons etc. forged to handle high boost more reliably.

Most of my mates seem to be spending upwards of £7000 on newish Renault Clio's and stuff, so I would rather take the same money and put it into my Micra which none of my friends seem to understand...

Well I totally understand it makes more sense :)

I wouldn't recommend forged pistons. If you head over to Pollyp's blog he's had nothing but issues with them

As for a welder I recommend a MIG welder. They're relatively cheap and simple to use. You can weld pretty much anything with one with enough practice

Aye a glanza manifold is already built and needs a little modification. But I always like to go custom. Doesn't rule out any options :)

Well I totally understand it makes more sense :)

I wouldn't recommend forged pistons. If you head over to Pollyp's blog he's had nothing but issues with them

As for a welder I recommend a MIG welder. They're relatively cheap and simple to use. You can weld pretty much anything with one with enough practice

Aye a glanza manifold is already built and needs a little modification. But I always like to go custom. Doesn't rule out any options :)

Thanks for the advice, provided I lower the comp using 2 genuine head gaskets, what kind of power / boost would a non-forged engine handle safely?

Also I have seen the problems that Pollyp is having and I must say, considering he knows pretty much everything about Micra's and he is still having problems, it did put me off a little bit.

I am considering making my own inlet plenum as well. I will buy the plenum box ready made, then use the ports off standard inlet mani - welded to some mandrel bent tubing and into the bottom of the plenum, then attach a SR20 head to the plenum :)

On a side note, if the Glanza manifolds are a very close fit to a CG13, is it likely that the inlet mani would be a close fit as well? There are some decent products for Glanza's from a company called Zisco, which my mate (who owns a Glanza) recommended.

Thanks for the advice, provided I lower the comp using 2 genuine head gaskets, what kind of power / boost would a non-forged engine handle safely?

Also I have seen the problems that Pollyp is having and I must say, considering he knows pretty much everything about Micra's and he is still having problems, it did put me off a little bit.

I am considering making my own inlet plenum as well. I will buy the plenum box ready made, then use the ports off standard inlet mani - welded to some mandrel bent tubing and into the bottom of the plenum, then attach a SR20 head to the plenum :)

On a side note, if the Glanza manifolds are a very close fit to a CG13, is it likely that the inlet mani would be a close fit as well? There are some decent products for Glanza's from a company called Zisco, which my mate (who owns a Glanza) recommended.
That question is for @frank and @pollyp but I've heard somewhere in the region of 150hp is perfectly reasonable

Building you own plenum is a good idea. A standard one will be fine but nothing wrong with a bit of ingenuity
Why bolt to an sr20 head?
You wont be able to weld standard manifold parts to aftermarket. As the 99% of the time aftermarket parts are steel. And steel doesn't weld to aluminium :) getting a 10mm steel plate laser cut isn't expensive and you can specify it to your needs

It sounds like a plausible idea. Can't say I've explored that avenue. Ask your friend for an I let manifold gasket. Use that to compare the two :)

yea its quite expensive, time & labour intensive and hard to get right.

the main issue is oil control, have never been able to stop oil getting into the cylinders after trying new bores, then bedding new rings with new bores and soon I'll be starting all over again

That question is for @frank and @pollyp but I've heard somewhere in the region of 150hp is perfectly reasonable

Building you own plenum is a good idea. A standard one will be fine but nothing wrong with a bit of ingenuity
Why bolt to an sr20 head?
You wont be able to weld standard manifold parts to aftermarket. As the 99% of the time aftermarket parts are steel. And steel doesn't weld to aluminium :) getting a 10mm steel plate laser cut isn't expensive and you can specify it to your needs

It sounds like a plausible idea. Can't say I've explored that avenue. Ask your friend for an I let manifold gasket. Use that to compare the two :)

I was planning on using the SR20 head as I have seen this design and it looks like it can make a significant improvement when attached to an SR20 TB. If I didn't use an SR20 TB what are the other options? I would probably end up going for a standalone ecu after all the work was done so getting everything to communicate shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The plenum I found was this one (near bottom of page) which is an alloy one. Which I thought would weld okay?

Will get my hands on a Glanza inlet gasket and make some measurements to see what the fitment is like and put some pics up :)

yea its quite expensive, time & labour intensive and hard to get right.

the main issue is oil control, have never been able to stop oil getting into the cylinders after trying new bores, then bedding new rings with new bores and soon I'll be starting all over again

Thanks for the heads up, would you say there is more of an issue with:

- The way in which the engine was bored & forged in the first place

or

- An underlying weakness in the CG series which makes it unsuitable for forging?

As I said, I don't want to throw money at the car, but I would rather pay more in one go to have it done professionally and to a very high standard. If it turns out the engine is unsuitable for forging I might have to explore other options, as I really wanted to get above the 180bhp mark..

have been running the stock engine with 157bhp @ 10psi as both a daily and pushing it on trackdays and it handled it fine as long as all the other components are upgraded to maintain a cool intake air, with just the right amount of fuel, ignited at the right time and able to transfer & control the amount of torque and extra heat

Ah I see what you mean now. I read it as you were gonna be using an SR20 head on tge engine.
SR20 tb is perfectly fine :)

Aslong as its alloy its weld-able :)

Aye keep us posted :)

Thanks for the heads up, would you say there is more of an issue with:

- The way in which the engine was bored & forged in the first place

or

- An underlying weakness in the CG series which makes it unsuitable for forging?

As I said, I don't want to throw money at the car, but I would rather pay more in one go to have it done professionally and to a very high standard. If it turns out the engine is unsuitable for forging I might have to explore other options, as I really wanted to get above the 180bhp mark..

since day 1 these JE pistons have been pooling oil on the pistons.

I've tried to resolve pretty much everything surrounding the pistons from reboring another block to spec to an entire rebore with new rings & bearings to precise spec and it still leaked. played round with hotter thermostat, thick or thin oil and made no difference.

all of which leads to a fundamental problem with either the piston design or it wasn't machined correctly with the right crosshatch finish.

I'm starting to think its been previously machined incorrectly hence gonna try another machinist and planning on letting Ed at Fusion to remachine another spare block to exact spec with right finish then new rings, bearings and start over.

I've tried to resolve pretty much everything surrounding the pistons from reboring another block to spec to an entire rebore with new rings & bearings to precise spec and it still leaked. played round with hotter thermostat, thick or thin oil and made no difference.

all of which leads to a fundamental problem with either the piston design or it wasn't machined correctly with the right crosshatch finish.

I'm starting to think its been previously machined incorrectly hence gonna try another machinist and planning on letting Ed at Fusion to remachine another spare block to exact spec with right finish then new rings, bearings and start over.

Ahh okay, So presuming my block is in good condition (which I imagine it is considering how well serviced the car has been), it should be okay to get to get the engine bored and new piston (and rods?) forged? What would be your recommendations for getting done internally?

I want the car to handle quite a lot of boost, but I am not planning on trying to run 300bhp like some Glanza / Starlet owners do after having their engines forged. Maybe 180bhp would suffice, I just don't want to have to rebuild an entire engine because the pistons melted. Did you get a significant increase in displacement when you had your boring done?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I will re-read your blog at some point, but with Uni and working 4 night shifts a week I don't get much free time. Your index page is definitely useful for finding stuff quickly though!

My friends Glanza had a similar problem to this (but only when startup on cold). He was told that with forged engines it's normal to get pooling when cold as the pistons / rings need to expand to the right diameter which happens at normal operating temp - it then turned out that the rings weren't seated properly. The explanation for this was that the technician had used too much oil to lubricate the cylinder walls when he first installed the pistons, so they didn't seat properly. After a new set of rings - properly seated, the problem went away.

You've probably (almost certainly in fact) already considered this but just thought I'd throw it in in case you hadn't.

I don't mind spending a fair bit on boosting my K11 as I am going to keep it for around another 7 years or so, but I don't want to start throwing money at the car. I am planning on getting the pistons etc. forged to handle high boost more reliably.

Most of my mates seem to be spending upwards of £7000 on newish Renault Clio's and stuff, so I would rather take the same money and put it into my Micra which none of my friends seem to understand...

Hahaha same here. I am going to use Micras for longer term. It's favourite car so I don't know why. :)

My cousin told me to get better cars than micra. I said no so Micra is the best. Everyone think I am crazy but they don't understand like you said it earlier. And even my parents and relatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

What should a 160-180bhp Micra get 0-60 wise? I can't seem to find this info (even an estimate) anywhere. I think I like Micra's so much because everyone else seems to hate (on) them?

Especially owners of Vauxhall Corsa's and Peugeots :p

People that don't drive Jap cars :rolleyes:

What should a 160-180bhp Micra get 0-60 wise? I can't seem to find this info (even an estimate) anywhere. I think I like Micra's so much because everyone else seems to hate (on) them?

Especially owners of Vauxhall Corsa's and Peugeots :p

People that don't drive Jap cars :rolleyes:
With LSD and good tyres, sub 7 seconds

With LSD and good tyres, sub 7 seconds

Sounds about right (a standard Glanza with around 130bhp can do it in around 7.5). Its a shame I couldn't find anyone willing to convert my K11 to an SR20DET AWD spec from a Pulsar. Wonder what that would have done with a bit of tuning :D

Sounds about right (a standard Glanza with around 130bhp can do it in around 7.5). Its a shame I couldn't find anyone willing to convert my K11 to an SR20DET AWD spec from a Pulsar. Wonder what that would have done with a bit of tuning :D

I can think of someone that'd do it for you

I can think of someone that'd do it for you

Do tell :eek:

To be fair I have been looking at mainstream garages like Garage-D but most of them are to busy to work on a little old Micra when there's a wealth of Silvia's and Skylines to be worked on.

One guy that said he would do it, told me (in a very sincere way), it was a £40,000 job! I couldn't stop laughing.

Do tell :eek:

To be fair I have been looking at mainstream garages like Garage-D but most of them are to busy to work on a little old Micra when there's a wealth of Silvia's and Skylines to be worked on.

One guy that said he would do it, told me (in a very sincere way), it was a £40,000 job! I couldn't stop laughing.
H701 (Andy) has some experience with this sort of thing, has his own garage to boot. I'd give him a PM

4WD system would be nuts.

Read earlier little bandit managed a top speed of 168.9mph over a 1mile top speed run 0_o

H701 (Andy) has some experience with this sort of thing, has his own garage to boot. I'd give him a PM

I'd be tempted to book my car in for him to turbo, im not the greatest at mechanical jobs and don't trust myself enough haha

4WD system would be nuts.

Read earlier little bandit managed a top speed of 168.9mph over a 1mile top speed run 0_o

I'd be tempted to book my car in for him to turbo, im not the greatest at mechanical jobs and don't trust myself enough haha

And little Bandit was FWD right?

4WD Micra - Ulimate Sleeper - No doubt about it

Imagine 500bhp in a Micra with 4WD.

In fact I can't...

it's too awesome! I wouldn't even bother saving up for a skyline if I could have a Micra with that much power :rolleyes:

No the horn push is different

That's what I thought. It looks like the horn push that can be bought to change a non-brand deep dish to a a OMP replica one. Now I am unsure whether to get a 330mm or 350mm, because I don't have PAS?

If it's too good to be true...

Bad news is: my 1.3 turbo build is not going to happen :(

Good news is: something slightly more powerful might be over the horizon...

Saw a Super S being driven into the local scrappies today :( Wasn't in amazing condition, but certainly not worth scrapping! The guy wanted £140 minus the wheels; with 97,000 miles on the clock and in good running order. Would have probably taken it if it wasn't for lack of space and money amongst other things.

Its got the wrap around spoiler, black super S clocks and driving lights to mention but a few things (more noticeably it has discs all round). Already grabbed the wheels off of it for Mikey Mk1 as the guy wanted £40 for all 4 which didn't seem too bad considering they're in decent condition. Tonnes of Micra K11's in the scrappies round here, might pop back in a few days to see whats up for grabs.

There's a March Import with the rare rear number plate surround driving around my area which looks like its' on its last legs, if that turns up in the scrappies it will make my day! (Not that I like the thought of a Micra being scrapped)..

View attachment 24182View attachment 24183

is it still thier man?..
u should of saved it :(

Saw a Super S being driven into the local scrappies today :( Wasn't in amazing condition, but certainly not worth scrapping! The guy wanted £140 minus the wheels; with 97,000 miles on the clock and in good running order. Would have probably taken it if it wasn't for lack of space and money amongst other things.

Its got the wrap around spoiler, black super S clocks and driving lights to mention but a few things (more noticeably it has discs all round). Already grabbed the wheels off of it for Mikey Mk1 as the guy wanted £40 for all 4 which didn't seem too bad considering they're in decent condition. Tonnes of Micra K11's in the scrappies round here, might pop back in a few days to see whats up for grabs.

There's a March Import with the rare rear number plate surround driving around my area which looks like its' on its last legs, if that turns up in the scrappies it will make my day! (Not that I like the thought of a Micra being scrapped)..

View attachment 24182View attachment 24183

is it still thier man?..

is it still thier man?..

I haven't been back in a while so I have no idea. There are never a shortage of Micra's being scrapped in London so there are probably many more. Last time I was in there the guy that owns it said that they have some pretty decent ones come in and a few years back they got a 4wd March which had been in a minor front end collision and written off by the insurers. It was stripped and scrapped but the drivetrain etc. was thrown away because there is no demand for it... WHAT!

Would have been such an awesome find as well!

Is there an update for this car? Would hate to loose this car from the club. Its such a minter.

Hey the car is still alive and well. It's had some small tasteful mods done since the last update; some wind deflectors, a new D1 Spec gear knob and an authentic OMP Corsica steering wheel and boss kit have been fitted.

I am currently saving up to get something else done to it, but it probably won't be ready until the end of 2014, but it should be pretty awesome when it is done :)

I will probably get some pics up soon of the car as it is at the moment. After my exams are over that is :rolleyes:

I haven't been back in a while so I have no idea. There are never a shortage of Micra's being scrapped in London so there are probably many more. Last time I was in there the guy that owns it said that they have some pretty decent ones come in and a few years back they got a 4wd March which had been in a minor front end collision and written off by the insurers. It was stripped and scrapped but the drivetrain etc. was thrown away because there is no demand for it... WHAT!

Would have been such an awesome find as well!

:(:mad::eek:
talk about crazyness, 4wd march class that be a treasure in my opinion man,..u should of atleast took the bumpers off that super s and ran haha,:) keep me pmd man if u find things like that again will u, be much appriciated pal:)

Haven't posted on here in a while as I have been busy at uni, but thought I would take some time to upload some photos of the car as it is at the moment. Its had some new pressed metal plates as the old ones had seen better days and were keeping the car from looking its best. Its also had some wind deflectors fitted and a weighted D1 Spec Gear knob (makes shifting a lot smoother).

I also invested in an OMP Corsica suede / titanium steering wheel; it makes the driving position much more comfortable as it sticks out quite a bit more than standard, so I'm not on top of the pedals like I used to be. Also got some genuine Nissan mats (after deliberating whether or not to go with tailored or genuine, I'm glad I went for the genuine ones, they're cheaper and are a perfect fit / colour).

1601559_10153755731730262_121381571_n.jpg

1907774_10153755731640262_1571503871_n.jpg

1016550_10153755731655262_362386341_n.jpg

1557482_10153755732050262_1156049375_n.jpg

1907385_10153755732230262_616142109_n.jpg

This is all I'll be doing to the car for a while as I am saving to get some work done on it :D

Back