185/50 or 195/45 Tyres!? Need advice!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hey guys.

Im looking to get some new tyres on some alloys i bought off krazy K10.. however i cant decide which of the two tyre sizes to go for!

The wheel's are 14's, and the car's currently lowered by -35mm.

The 195/45's are Toyo Proxies and are cheaper to buy than the 185/50 Yokohamas. I'd prefer not to have any arch work done at all either, but will i need to if i buy either size? And out of the two, which would you go for. I believe the 195's were about £43 each, and the 185's were £47

Cheers
Arnold

i prefere the 195 proxies i got 195-40-16 so im running 16's lowered 30 on eibach its fine

im using continetal contact sport 2 (their top of range as far as i know but they crap dont get :p)

ps. forgot to say im in a k11

k11 are totally different from the k10

its the width that is the issue mate, so the less you can go there the better.
but on 14's you wont rub "as much" so can get away with normal driving. it only gonna be issues on big corners and ramps

Swallow said:
what about 185/55/14

Being higher wont have any benefit tho will it! I'd prefer to go as low as i can - its the width im really concerned about tho

Well I have the 195/45's on mine but they are 15's. Just depends what you are after really. Thinner tyres would be better, but so would lower profile ones lol. :p Tough choice really lol. :)

the price might put you off but i would recomend 175/50/14 in pirrelli or goodyear about £60. this would be a good size for the k10 weight and power. and would be the best fit aswell as the best acceleration. lower side wall than even the 195/45/14 and 20mm further inside the arch width wise.

the k10 was designed on a 145mm tyre on a 12" rim. 175mm on a 14" is more than enough grip. only budget tyres let a cars traction down.

Mark said:
less grip though on 175

im currently running 165's yokos, the cars got a strut bar and its lowered and handles unbelievably well! the grip is incredible.

Thanks for that info beachboy... im not sure if the wheels i've got will accept 175's but i'l have to find that out. Where did you get that price from?

the tyres are available at that price from mytyres.co.uk.
175 will fit fine up to a 6.5" rim so no problems there.

yes. It's posible for tyres to be too wide, because you wont have enough pressuer per square inch on the foot of the tyre, which will lead to lots of grip problems. I dont know if anyone's ever tired, but its easier to do a continued wheelspin in the dry on 195/45/15 than 145/12's

Swallow said:
well krazy had those size tyres on the wheels you brought off him and he didnt have much problem with them.

Thats why theres huge gashes taken out of them and are illegal to drive on! i believe his rears were responsible for those. with a lower profile, i was hoping this wouldnt happen.. looks like i'l need to get them rolled, or go for the 175's if they'l fit

Attachments

• brakes.jpg
    brakes.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 332
here's what you do, rent an angle grinder, mask up and paper the side of the car and have that rear lip off.

It's gotta be done, the lip is useless really, just helps dirt to gather and causes rust, take you 2 hours seriously. I was a little worried when i did mine but it's like cutting butter with a hot knife.

make sure any exposed metal or gaps are covered in sealent (i used two coats, 1 of spray sealent and 1 of brushed sealent) otherwise it'll rust quicker than a spanner in a tropical downpour.

ave' a go, you only live once! :upside:

ive found the wheels i have been after, 195/50/15, will these fit the K10?
Also what about when i fit my lowering springs?
cheers!

kev_mono72 said:
ive found the wheels i have been after, 195/50/15, will these fit the K10?
Also what about when i fit my lowering springs?
cheers!

Thread Hijack!

Those wheels will definitly rub and when lowered, it'l be even worse

Im buying tyres tomorrow... hoping to get 175's 50's as above, but will go 185 if i cant.

the 35 is the percentage of the 195, so chances are it will still rub. The width is the biggest concern when buying alloys & tyres.

I just found out today the smallest size i can get on mine are 185/55 which is what's already fitted.. so some archwork might be needed :(

do you mean the "biggest" size?

Ill see about getting 185/35/15, do you think these would fit? Basically i want to know a tyre that will fit a 15 inch rim and also fit my k10 with -30mm springs

Ah the big wheel question

If the wheels are purely for show, roll the arches and go for 185's rather than 195's other wise they will rub quite badly.

Or..

If you want the car to handle to the best of it's abilities go for 13's from a K11 or similar offset, rim size and 185's with a 40mm drop and GAZ shocks. This will give the car low corner weight and a great mini like handling, with minimal bump steer.

It's like the old mini arguments of 13's 12's or 10's and it always boiled down to the fact that the smaller wheels gave the best drivers experience and handling gains whereas big wheels kill your acceleration unless they are proper magnesium (short life) alloys which cost a bomb. Also width wise never go more than a 6 inch wide rim unless you intend the car to pull you about on every bump or pothole you find.

Steve

Back