17s on a k10

Oh man...Im struggling here...

sorry...I'm a novice...I dont know what 'slammed ' is

How much were you lowered by plz

and did you have to mod the FRONT arches so that they didnt rub with your 195/45/16's y/n?

cheers,

.... sorry to keep pestering

it was lowered on spax springs, as long as your front dampers are in good
working order i.e not really soft it shouldnt rub, but you will need to go for 195/45/16 tyres with the correct offset.

when you get some lowering springs get some new dampers too and it will have far less chance of rubbing.

if anyone goes for euro look put some scmidt th lines or scmidt modern lines. some 13 x 8's would look awsome with some 195's streched over. smooth over everything, de-locked, de handles etc and on its bumpers would look amazing. however i do agree that its good to push the boundrys, but you have to weigh up the advantages and disavantages of doing so. if its a show car then you dont have to worry bout wheel bearings etc but if using the car everyday then i think you would get fed up of it quite fast. this is my aim on the current micra. everything needs to be practical and comfy but different and fun at the same time. bit of a challenge really. anyways euro style all the way

Cheers Mark!...

The plan is to go for the whole shabang with brandspanker struts & springs...cos my front dampers are ridiculously worn and the cheepo gas crap on my rear are pushing me close to the edge :-(...but I really cant be Ar**d to do ANY arch-work (at all)..so Im not!

Which brings me onto my next hair brain scheme..... a selfish and thoroughly contrived selection of un-equal front and rear wheel sizes and opposingly un-equal front and rear lowering to compensate....(bigger/normal circumference on the front, and a tichy circumference on the rear....both wide of course)

The result (I hope) will be a lowered, level car with greater tyre-arch clearance on the rear than the front......

I'm still researching the planned, final setup before departing with any dosh and labour-time.

Can anyone think of any major show-stoppers (e.g. MOT?) before I take this one too far?

it would look well silly having bigs wheels on front n small rims on the back dont do it mate

sammohug do you know how easy it is to sort out the arches on the back of a k10? no more than 20 minutes each side. its a easy to do.

and putting odd wheels/tyres on is one of the most ridiculous things i've heard of to do to a k10, people will laugh at you mate,

thats almost as bad as making the ride hit higher not lower on a k10 to stop 15's rubbing just like some lad who comes on here now and again did. i seen the car in the flesh and it was a joke!

if you wanna be differant to others then pull your finger out and do something and dont just say " cant be arsed".

if anyone wants the ATS euro wheels i can put you in contact with a friend who owns his own car moddifying company that can supply them for approx £60-70 per wheel depending what width you want ;)

Keep the feeback rolling in....

The looks is not a problem for me because my car looks rubbish allready and the more people who can get a laugh the better from my point of view...Any way,... I scalled the wheels in paint shop pro and refitted them and it dint look that funny....although I did pinch a picture of a good-looking micra for this test.

Ignoring 'looks' for the time being,...Anyone have anyfeed back from a tecnical point of view

Cheers guys

just stick a set of 14s on it if you dont wanna mod the arches, wrong wheels sizes is just daft and proberly the worst idea ive ever heardo_O

even 14"s require arch mods and bump stops the only way to avoid any mods at all is 13" having had both 14" and 15" they both had the same circumferance so were equally as bad 45 r15's and 50 r14's would be be almost the same. you can believe what i say cos i have actually done it.

clubby_rs said:
just stick a set of 14s on it if you dont wanna mod the arches, wrong wheels sizes is just daft and proberly the worst idea ive ever heardo_O

Mine are 14 and they still need archwork

I've had 185/50/14's which rubbed and needed archwork.

i agree that putting odd wheels is a stupid idea

it depends what you might call stupid. having a set of 13 with maybe a 60 profile on the back and a 45 profile on the front wont look ridiculous. sort of a hot rod look. okay so it pointless considering the k10 is front wheel drive but i wouldnt say it would look stupid as long as you dont go to stupid in wheels size like 13 on front and 14 on the back with the same profile. i think it would look a bit trick especially if you went for the same size wheels but deep dish on the back and thinner wheels on the front. none of this will make it handle all that well but it will look good.

I think the overriding factors determining tyre rubbing are tyre width, overall radius, ride height and the response of the suspension.

It could be misleading to judge this purely on rim/wheel diameter. I think it depends on the wheel/rim and tyre aspect ratio combination (overall radius).

Looking through the forums, I may recall some have used larger rim sizes (14, 15 & 16) but have not fully compensated for this by using a low-enough tyre side wall... resulting in a physically larger radius wheel and tyre combo.....more likely to rub on a lowered car.

clubby_rs said:
wrong wheels sizes is just daft and proberly the worst idea ive ever heardo_O

I doubt it is the worst..lol why is it "just daft"? If there is a safety-problem... or something to do with the impracticalities / MOT etc then that's what I'm trying to find out.

Cheers gang

micra man said:
But if you can have the same all round then why not just have the same??

Remember, that my car looks turd... and thats the way I want it to stay for the time being. What I am interested in is handling (first)...-> then performance...-> then (may be) looks...but i doubt it..

I am thinking that since the fronts are connected to the tacho and speedo I dont want to alter the rolling raduis too far away from the spectfied range in the haynes....

And since the rears are only trailing, and most of the rubbing problems people have experienced tend to be on the rear, then why not reduce the size here for practical reasons?

mate do what you feel, but ive been playing with cars for about 20 years and been a qualified mechanic for nearly 6 years and have done most thing to cars from tuning to modding, ive put 18s on my r5gt turbo etc etc but i have never heard of wrong sized wheels on a car unless its ran down the straight at santa pod. if you wanna do it then go ahead but your get laughed at on a HUGE level, and even though its still legal your prob get greif off the police still as the car will stand out that much. its your car at the end of the day so do as you like.

for an MOT alll tyres myst be the same profile unless the car was manufactured like it i.e the smart car ;) apprently....

i thought that by law you had to have the same diameter wheels either side, like you could have 14's on the front and 15's on the back but you couldnt have a 14 on one side and a 15 on the other.

some drifty cars have lets say 17's on the front and 18's on the rear but that a rwd car, theres nothing stopping you doing this to a k10 though.

my shocks are knackered all round and i have a awfull ride, when i put the pulsar wheels on which are only 14's (but much wider than standard) i had to cut the whole lip off and bang the inner arch in a bit so it wouldnt rub inside. its great now, ive got worrn knackerd shocks, whells that are 7% larger circumfrence than stock and definatly a wider offset and it dosent rub at all, so when i sort it out lowered good shocks it will be ace.

id say on a micra for practical resons 15" is tops, definatly choose youre offset well and do go above a 7-10% larger circumfrence on youre wheels and watch out for the width of the wheel, you could be in my position where youre hitting the lip and the inner arch, i dont know what the pulsar wheels are 6 1/2j? if you go way wide you would have to get a offset that dosent hit the iner arch and get angela angle grinder out and cut the rear wheel arch off and get a set of overfenders and blend them on with sammy sander, a lot of work

Mat.T said:
I fitted my mates 17"s from his civic for a laugh:
47b5d801b3127cce921324ed4a5400000016108QYuWbZs5b

47b5d801b3127cce921324a2cb2b00000015108QYuWbZs5bo

the result: it didn't move and it looked like a roller skate :D :D :D

what have you for a tyre-size on th 17"???

Greeting Paddi :k10:

Paddi-K10 said:
what have you for a tyre-size on th 17"???

Greeting Paddi :k10:

sorry i couldn't tell you, the wheels wern't mine and were only on the car for 15mins, what i can tell you is that they didn't turn :D :D

Back