17" alloys????

hi

we are new to this site and this is the first post, possibly of many,lol!!!!

i have read all the wheel size threads on this site and there seems to be some variation as to what can go on a k12 without rubbing or causing a problem. we got a silver 2005 k12 1.2s last week with 8thou on the clock, and as it was not the one the other half originally wanted (2004 blue 1.2se 25thou on the clock) i have told her i will get her a nice set of alloys and it will look better than the one she didnt get.
i want to put on some 17" wheels as the hole the wheel fits in seems big enough to take a cartwheel and im not sure that a set of 15" wheels will fill the hole enough. at the moment there are 14" steel wheels on the car and they look stupid.
will the k12 take a 17" 205/40 as there are some nice ones in motor world for under 500 quid.

cheers
pc

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
general rule you can go an extra 20mm of width in your new alloys without trouble, if your car's standard tyres are 175 like other standard k12 then the max width i recommend you to go for is 195.

some members here have mentioned k12 can even take 18s, so 17s shouldnt be a problem. just beware you will actually be travelling faster then what it saids on the speedo.

eltaylor001

North Rep
17s are no problem, I've got 205/40/v17 rubber on mine. There are 18 inch fitments for K12 from wolfrace don't how well they would fit with regard to rubbing, but with my 17s I can go full lock no probs. With regard to the speedo, there was a tyre size calculator posted ages ago somewhere that could calculate how much the speedo would be out. For 17s on a K12 its on 1% out so at 60 mph you not even doing 61. So I wouldn't worry about it.

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
the 1% difference doesnt apply to all 17s on k12. like mine for example i had 175/60/15 changed to 195/45/15; despite the alloy size being the same, the difference on mine is 6%. when the speedo saids 70 i am actually doing 65.

but if you did your sums based on 205/40/17 which is the one he asked for then fair enough:laugh: :blush:

hi

thanks for your replies, i see adam says go no more than 20mm over standard but someone else is running 205s so there doesnt seem to be a standard answer to this. i think i will bite the bullet and look at the 205/40/17s and pray they are ok. if not it looks like the rubber mallet will be getting a beating!!!!

cheers
pc

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
well i dont think wider wheels have like a huge problem its just look a bit weird with the front sticking out but not the back as the back covers the wheel quite well.

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
how can it be described as lame? for those with little hatchbacks (like us) and wanting performance will usually opt for 15s. i probably get shot for saying this but any sizes above are just for shows/looks unless you drive a bigger and powerful car.

i went specifically for 15s even when 16s of the same type cost more with not so good tyres. they are lighter and wider than standard, since the wheels are the same size as standard it doesnt ruin the speedo or fuel consumption, best of all think the car go a bit better. :love:

hi

i noticed that there is quite a price hike for anything over 15", i never really give the 15" a thought but as i just wanted to make the car look a little better for the other half maybe i could do that and save a couple of hundred quid but putting 15s on, as long as they are nice then im sure she will be happy and i can spend what i save on my bike. good thinking adam.

cheers
pc

hi

i thought there were some nice wheels in both places but the sevice seemed better in motorworld, im more used to bike shops not car shops.

cheers
pc