160SR vibration at 2500rpm...is this normal?

Hi all,

My first post on this forum as new 160SR owner!

Just bought a 55 plate 160SR, and immediately noticed a vibration/ loud buzzing sound when changing up from 2nd to 3rd at approx 2500rpm OR when accelerating up from a slow speed again at 2500 rpm. Doesn't last long, but very noticeable and frankly annoying.

Took it back to dealer (not a nissan dealer btw) - they can't seem to find the fault and now say it may be a 'characteristic' of the car and common on this model!!!. I find that hard to believe, and just wanted to ask around if indeed it may be the case or if I need to be looking for something specific.

many thanks,

gav.

OP
OP
P
Hi frank,

thanks for looking at the thread!!

usually when accelerating up from 2nd to 3rd, when the engine starts picking up speed from low revs - like when you're in a slow moving traffic queue and you start speeding up. doesn't do it it neutral though - tried holding the engine at 2-2500 rpm...nothing noticeable.

frank

Club Member
the engine will tend to move/recoil in its mounts a bit more in the lower gears eh, so the only thing i can think of is that something is too close to the body/chassis (exhaust, engine mount, gearchange) ?
my k11 had a similar problem after an engine change, and i had to "pack" one of the engine mounts so that the other 2 mounts were sitting central :eek:

OP
OP
P
well, i thought it may be the engine mounts - hard to explain this well, but I noticed that the gear lever tends to' move' when accelerating (maybe a damaged engine mount?) more than on any of my other cars. just need to throw as much at the dealer as possible to try and get it solved whilst still under the warranty!!

so likely that it isn't a 'characteristic' of the 160SR?

when accelerating up from a slow speed again at 2500 rpm.
I had a problem identical to this, although mine is only a 2004 1.0 5dr, after several weeks of grey hair pulling and swearing...

Look into your spare wheel well in the boot, and the jack should be resting in a little groove on the floor next to the wheel

There should be a 'rubber band' with two metal clips keeping the jack tight to the floor (to stop it vibrating) i'l bet its broken off, the rubber in them perishes easily...
I went to 4 different breakers, at least 10 micras checked and the rubber was broken on them all
Went to the Nissan dealer, they had the rubber in stock, parts guy said he sells a few of them which also makes me think its a common problem (cost €4.00)

I put the new rubber on and no more lower rev range vibration... the jack sits right over where the back box is hung off the body so this is most likely where the resonance is occuring....

I dont know if the 160 even has a spare tire but i hope this was some help to you mate (Y)

same problem

Hi, keep us up dated, i have a 160 with the same problem. I did think it could have been a bolt that i dropped down the dash when i removed the radio but i dont think so now after reading this. i will have another look and post back if i find anything. Actually, i drove my farthers 1.2 sport plus yesterday and i think i heard the same sound at some point!!!!

Same problem with my 160SR from 2006. But.... I only hear the rattle in the summer! Sometimes it feels like my dash is coming apart! I will investigate some more when it occurs in a few weeks...

nissanmicrak12

Ex. Club Member
i thought it was normal for the gear stick to move?!lol jj but ya know where im coming from :D is it more of a new engine sound rather than an buzzing sound? i.e has it recently had an oil change?

We had some vibration issues with our 160. Rear seal on boot and exhaust manifold, which were fixed under warranty. Nearly a rattle free car :grinning:

I had exactly the same problem with my Primera - after fitting a custom de-cat front pipe I'd get an awful vibration at around 2000rpm. It was especially annoying as 2000rpm was just about the revs you'd be at when cornering!

It turned out that the rear O2 sensor was sticking up at an angle, and the tip (well the plug) was actually resting on the chassis. It didn't matter at all at normal use, except once the engine was hot and at 2000rpm when the exhaust would tap it like a woodpecker against the chassis. Very embarrassing with an exhaust made for a deep, bassy growl.

My experience certainly supports the theory that SOMEthing is touching the chassis, probably the exhaust or something else subject to engine vibrations. Otherwise the obvious candidates are the exhaust heat shields either on the underside of the car or above the manifold.

In my K12 I also had the jack shaking about the spare wheel well, but it was nothing like as bad as the O2 sensor sound. I just took them out of the well and stuck them snug behind my sub enclosure ;)

Started to experience the "goat noise" on my 160sr aswell today - popped it up on the ramp at work to investigate and descovered it to be the heat shiel rubbing against the Lambda sensor and antiroll bar - all sorted now :)

I have exactly this issue on my 160SR - very annoying and sounds like an entire heard of Goats! Only had the car for a day but deffo needs investigated quickly for sanitys sake!! :) :) Love the car though so don't mind.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Loose exhaust heat shield/s cause all sorts of resonant noises at specific rev levels.........had these problems on both of the P12 Primeras that my daughter has had and also on my K12 Sport+........

Loose exhaust heat shield/s cause all sorts of resonant noises at specific rev levels.........had these problems on both of the P12 Primeras that my daughter has had and also on my K12 Sport+........

Much appreciated for that John - that will be first port of call for investigation then :) Kind Regards, Russell.