• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

1400 rally car shenanigans

OP
OP
Huggy444
I had the same, and ended up re-wiring the fuel pump by-passing the relay all together.
That was my first thought, however I bridged the relay at the rally and it still wouldn't start until 20 minutes or so had passed so unsure if that would make a difference.
If I can't find anything today I will just make a new fused circuit for the fuel pump

Sent from my LG-H850 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
Huggy444
Soooo been a while since I've updated... Car has had running issues for a while, had a couple of very annoying DNF's at past couple of rallies but due to being at uni I've struggled for time and money (as well as sober weekends) to fix it!

However, I'm now on my placement year (working for Jenvey Throttle Bodies!) so have more time and money, thus its time to start rebuilding the rally car, tidying up every issue and making the little b###ch run nicely again!

First job is to replace the front
X-member (big crack in it from landing a jump hose heavy!) , will be reinforcing the new one as well as the sump gaurd mounts there.

Also need new bonnet pins as these have worn and gone ****ty, plus going to replace all the fuel hosing as its starter to weep (obviously not good quality piping!)

Will add pictures as and when

Alex out xox

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
Huggy444
Quite the sorry state at the moment.... Including my mates two identical red polo's (one rear, one front damage) ready to be stripped and amalgamated into one rally car in the background....
IMG_20180904_181955.jpeg
IMG_20180904_181802.jpeg

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
This is about where I am with my K11s as your friend is with the Polos, amalgamating the best bits of 2 shells into 1.

Cool to be in at Jenvey. Maybe you can help me later in the year with a turbo plenum ?

I've been trying to buy one from them for months. I keep leaving my number but I've yet to be contacted back. I've given up for the moment while I work on other things but I still want one with a special manifold mounted fuel rail...

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Glad to see the car Alex even if it’s in a bit of a state. Good luck at Jenvey. That sounds like an excellent opportunity!

OP
OP
Huggy444
This is about where I am with my K11s as your friend is with the Polos, amalgamating the best bits of 2 shells into 1.

Cool to be in at Jenvey. Maybe you can help me later in the year with a turbo plenum

I've been trying to buy one from them for months. I keep leaving my number but I've yet to be contacted back. I've given up for the moment while I work on other things but I still want one with a special manifold mounted fuel rail...
Sorry to hear that!

It depends who you are contacting, most are pretty prompt! Give me a message on here or fb (Alex Stewart Mill) when you come back to it and I'll sort you out :)

@MaxK11C nothing good has happened recently with the car so not felt like posting.... Hopeffuly it sort the thing out now and get motivated with it all again!

OP
OP
Huggy444
Managed to pull the front cross member off, got a lovely ebay x-member made of China metal so figured I'd tack on some metal scrap I had lying around.... Doubt it'll make much difference but why not.

Hard to weld such thin metal nicely, couldn't run a seam with my welder without starting to melt everything

Also shot blasted the old radiator support brackets up, and welded up a crack in one of them.
IMG_20180917_175206.jpeg

OP
OP
Huggy444
Only issue with that is if it needs replacing again. The metal it's riveted to (in most places) is only thin sheet that supports body panels etc.

I'll rivet most of it, and spot weld where it mounts to the chassis legs.

OP
OP
Huggy444
Quick update, been a while.... Car raced at the last rally/race to be held at Rockingham and behaved beautifully with no issues! Can't remember class result, but did well considering I've barely driven over these past few years of uni!

Clutch started slipping badly on event so bit the bullet and got a proper helix paddle clutch to fit now along with a new (2nd hand standard) box to go as mine had a few crunches.

Dragged it out of the garage for the first time in 6 months, I've got a few weeks of uni and work now so should tidy the old girl back up and get it ready to go again!

Throwback to the last photo I took of it, at a rally / race car show :)
20180506_102323.jpeg

Quick update, been a while.... Car raced at the last rally/race to be held at Rockingham and behaved beautifully with no issues! Can't remember class result, but did well considering I've barely driven over these past few years of uni!

Clutch started slipping badly on event so bit the bullet and got a proper helix paddle clutch to fit now along with a new (2nd hand standard) box to go as mine had a few crunches.

Dragged it out of the garage for the first time in 6 months, I've got a few weeks of uni and work now so should tidy the old girl back up and get it ready to go again!

Throwback to the last photo I took of it, at a rally / race car show :) View attachment 64834

Can't believe this blog started in 2012 and you've had the car through 7 years of rallying! Still going strong! Good luck with it all.

OP
OP
Huggy444
Sooo got the car back up and running!

New clutch from Helix / Questmead arrived and after a few mistakes by them, I finally got one delivered that was machined correctly and fitted... Pretty bad initially, butttt they've been quick to answer the phone and problems were solved relatively quickly.

Next up theres been some little changes inside (no photos oops) and I'll get booked into a trackday to test it all out!
IMG_20190903_131155.jpeg
IMG_20190905_132529.jpeg

OP
OP
Huggy444
Had a very rainy trackday a few weeks ago now at Oulton Park.

Drove without issue considering I dragged it out of hibernation with only an oil change...! Brakes were a bit numb, potentially wants fresh fluid and the pads given a bit of a scrub or replaced.

Always amusing keeping up with Type R's etc on track, but the lack of power and the open diff is really limiting on tracks - plus the suspension has always been a compromise, allowing for it to survive rougher airfield rallies but not be too 'floppy' on track rallies.

Took it home and gave it its first proper clean in years, should be getting MOTd again soon as well.

I'm tempted to move from rallying into a circuit series, so you may see this car gain more appropriate suspension and some power... Would still be able to do the odd single venue rally however
IMG_20200218_210415_834.jpg
IMG_20200411_142835.jpg

OP
OP
Huggy444
Been tinkering with the car these last few days as I've finallt submitted my university dissertation on manufacturing process optimisation and control... A truly riveting topic once you get into it, promise...!

I want new springs as a mininum for the car, but having no money at the moment is a problem so I've lowered the car all around 10mm front and 15mm and added a bit more pre-load to the springs to stiffen it up for now. Will get the car aligned soon, bit of a faff as it's not insured at the minute so it has to be towed everywhere!

It passed its MOT the other day, did need some adjustment and a bit of tinkering but it got through :)

Few more updates coming along soon
IMG_20200628_194814.jpg

OP
OP
Huggy444
Ordered a home "dash flocking kit" to try and tidy up the interior of the car a bit - was aware it would probably end up patchy and if it did, I'd get the spare dash sent off to be flocked professionally.

Home kit is £35 and professional is £100-150 so I figured if I did a job that looked half as good as a professional one, I'd be happy.

Was a very very messy job, with everything in the garage now being covered in small fibres. Also kept forgetting to put a mask on so my snot is now black and I'm chesty, oops.

Looks OK so far, need to reassemble the dash tomorrow and re-fit it, but seems like a job fairly well completed.
IMG_20200705_210040.jpg
IMG_20200705_191007.jpg
IMG_20200705_211054.jpg

OP
OP
Huggy444
Sooooo... Entry in for a rally on 2nd May, only on reserves list so far but getting the car sorted anyway. This is the first event I've done since Dec 2018' at Rockingham (before that track closed).

New seats (old ones were 'out of date' for racing), oil and filter, cleaning and oiling the air filter, new thermostat and coolant, and a new rocker cover gasket as well as fitting a black painted rocker cover - fancied a change from blue.

Think the car is good to race now - we shall see!

Got a list of bits I need to order, car felt a bit rough idling so will order a spare Bosch MAF sensor, and will get some spare pads as the ones on the car are pretty low but I think OK for one more event.
20210405_122618.jpg
20210404_165841.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991B using Micra Sports Club mobile app