12k miles Shopping car to something interesting...

Hello!

I am very new to the site and am collecting my Micra this weekend... Its completely standard and has a tiny mileage, the hardest its been driven is probably when my Mum (the previous owner) popped the car into the wrong gear on a roundabout by accident! In short, its the perfect base for some crazy mods!

I have just agreed to buy a set of 15" Almera GTI rims which should make it look less like a hippo running on ballbearings!!

Over the next week I will be fitting a strut brace and K&N (and in a few months time, a custom airbox...). Im going to be doing a full suspension upgrade in the spring, lowering and generally beefing it up. Pics will be coming once I have buffed and cleaned it!

I have been enjoying looking at the Micro and Maxi Micra projects, looks like there is quite a lot that can be done to these little cars!

Im aiming to leave the exterior pretty standard and do all my work under the skin of the car, its going to be a bit of a sleeper :)

So, collecting it this weekend, Wednesday afternoon will be when the Alloys go on, and then its the following weekend for filter and strut brace (if it arrives in time!).

Anyone got any ideas or bits to sell? Im not going for a turbo, but anything else is fair game!

Thanks for the replies... I will be getting pics of the beast before I clean it on Saturday... Dont expect much... It looks like the kind of car an old dear would go shopping in... Funny coz thats what it is right now!

Just booked in with Matt Humphris for next Wednesday for 15" Almera GTI alloys and Green Cotton Nano Storm air filter... That gives me a few days to appreciate the Micra as a standard car running on bicycle sized wheels with no mods, before the adventure begins!

I prefer the term roll. More specifically body roll! Its what mine does around corners and its what it will carry on doing until I sort the handling! :)

So... I have had the Micra since October... Since then its been quite good fun. A few points though, it seems to lack torque, and rolls about like mad in the corners. Im looking to address these two issues soon. Any ideas? Im thinking about anti roll bars and lowering for the second issue, as for the lack of torque, I need some pointers!

Get yourself in touch with mph for some lowering goodness

As for power I take it's a 1.0?

Janspeed exhaust system?

Have a read of baguettes blog, he achieved 80bhp from a 1.0 goodluck

Hey guys, thanks for the tips... its a 1.4, but with air con so that holds it back a little... I have already been to see MPH for an air filter and some alloys. I did discuss whiteline anti roll goodies, springs and strut braces with him when I was there.

I keep getting distracted though. I have just fitted 2/3 of my audio setup, 6x9's fitted under the original rear covers, when I went into Uplands in Bristol for a head unit, the guy was very surprised when he popped out of a look as the interior looks totally standard. Just what I was looking for! Last job is front door speakers, im not looking forward to trying to get those door panels off! All that is protected by a new alarm system, not that I am paranoid... Apart from the wheels, Junior looks just like a standard beastie...

I think my next mods will be chassis tuning, lowering and then... More grunt! Im not looking forward to telling my insurance company that I have fitted racing cams! Theyre going to love me!

Did you fit a strut brace in the end? I'm considering one if it stops roll. I don't want to make the ride harsher though, I like the way the Micra feels over poor quality roads and wouldn't want a bumpier ride.

Have you mounted your 6x9s into the standard parcel shelf? I have some Alpines to fit, but the current shelf with speakers in doesn't seem that sturdy.

Hey,

Strut brace is coming, I will be doing a bunch of mods at once so I can really feel the improvement. Plan is to put on front strut, anti roll bars and lower it at the same time...

As for 6x9's the trick is to use foam damping and a spacer, and mount them under the shelf. I used bolts, washers and lock nuts. This meant the load was spread and they are secure. Cut holes just big enough to see the cones, you will be surprised how tough that pressed plastic shelf is! Im considering lining the back of the boot lid with accoustic matting, same goes for the floor of the boot. It sounds good now but I think I can improve upon it!

Yeah, the inside of my boot lid really rattles, I need to sort that too.

I have loads of builders flashing tape left which I sound proofed my Fiat Coupe with. It's pretty cheap from B&Q compared to Dynamat etc. But, it needs to go behind a panel, so although I can do my front doors with it (which will also make the doors close with a more purposeful thud and reduce road noise) there is nothing in the boot to put it behind.

Insurance update... Called Admiral this morning to renew and get a quote for the improvements... Works spec cams, lowered, strut braces and chassis stiffening anti roll bars...

£46 increase on my fully comp policy...

Unreal, even the guy quoting me was surprised and swore under his breath!

Time to sort my finances and play!

Back