104.1 BHP - What Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FH-5

Site Supporter
Hello again everybody,

As in title, I managed to reach 104.1 BHP in my K11 1.3 Si after my remap from Ed earlier in the year.

Now I have some cash saved up, I need to know exactly what to do next for sheer BHP, power related suggestions only please nothing else :p.

What I have done so far (BHP related): 4-2-1 Janspeed Manifold (rally cat A SS from Matt Humphris) with straight through full exhaust system completely decatted; 1.6 Primera injectors; GreenFilter Nano Storm induction kit; Nistune ECU from Ed;

(Also will fit my 2.66KG flywheel soon whenever martinb gets back to me - it's been 2 months now :p)

What next guys? I need the most BHP effective modifications whilst keeping the same 1.3 engine and NO TURBO.

Please with your suggestions can you also mention rough cost of that modification and BHP increase after a remap from Ed.

I await all of your awesome knowledge.

Thanks very much guys as always!

Faisal (if you did not know that is my name :grinning:)

I don't understand mate :laugh:. Custom intel-larger TB? Aren't new cams from MPH better than re profiled ones? What do 1L pistons do?

I don't understand mate :laugh:. Custom intel-larger TB? Aren't new cams from MPH better than re profiled ones? What do 1L pistons do?

custom more flowing inlet manifold - larger diameter throttle body. It doesnt matter weather cams are from MPH, motorsportworld or reprifilled from autosprint or whatever, depends what profile they are. 1l pistons would make higher compression engine. and btw flywheel wont increase your bhp

Ok thanks. What is cheapest way to go regarding cams?

Yes i know flywheel wont increase bhp that is why i wrote it seperate - mentioned it just in case someone mentions it for acceleration benefits.

The engine will feel more powerful with a lighter flywheel. Well kinda lol.

Also you can fit a Cg10 bottom pulley for more weight loss.

If you look in my blog you will see my sr20 throttle body conversion. Please note that you could just use a standalone maf because you have nistune. Look at my blog and all will be clear. It's in k10 blogs titled dattosan machi ;)

Frank rates the Cga3 inlet btw

You only have 6hp more than me and I haven't got a remap, so if you do some more locost mods you should get good gains!

Autosprint cams are 200 iirc and are simple to shim as far as I know!

Ok mate thanks. What is weight difference if I fit cg10 bottom pulley?

I think cams would be good but I want to know what is best cam setup for best bhp increase - i.e. were to buy - which ones? (sorry my knowledge of all this is quite poor :p)

best bet is to have a lengthy conversation with frank.

but,
270+ degree cams from where ever you can get them from, (i had some advanti ones kicking about on the forum a while back)
biggest strangler to power on the cg13 is the inlet manifold. it is shiznit..
best bet there is to find a friendly welder that can weld aluminium and get a starlet manifold welded to a micra cylinder head flange.

next job is Compression ratio. most cars now run very high compression ratio's.. the micra runs a stupidly low C:R compared.
there are many ways of doing this. nismo sell a thinner head gasket (good look finding one)
Frank had his combustion chamber welded like in motorbike engines, not really a very acurate way of doing things but it worked... next is the 1.0 pistons. these have a flat top to their crown and as such raise the C:R of the engine whilst retaining the 1275cc capacity... these can be a pain in the arris to get off the con rods though... lastly is the machine the cylinder head down a few mm, but this is not really recommended unless you want to have a slacker than usual top timing chain, (i had trouble with the stock head hight and a loose top chain)

but then of course you can go all out and get the cylinder head ported and gas flowed (some pre-ported heads are on ebay) polished and such, this will support further mods but doesnt really gain you very many bhp.

lastly, Throttle bodies. these not only sound the tits but will keep you in the good side of 130bhp with the above mods too,

not for bhp but for ease of reving and reliability if you want to rev above 8000rpm... bottom end balancing. this will reduce vibrations and will allow the engine to rev more freely without sacrificing bhp to heat and sound...this needs to be done with the crank, conrods, pistons, flywheel and clutch assembly...

there are vids on youtube of guys in japan making over 160bhp on the n/a cg13de. and those making over 180bhp (at 11,000rpm) on the cg10de. you just got to know where to look.

if you know a good machine shop or a local engineering firm... it will be better.. but if not, prepair to splash the cash!!!

Thanks very much! I'm ready to splash the cash for cams with a remap from Ed, that could get me to 120bhp, also pistons. Were do I get these 2 things from - best place? For fitting and setup as always I'll go to Ed or mph. I cannot wait to get these things done ASAP!

Thanks very much! I'm ready to splash the cash for cams with a remap from Ed, that could get me to 120bhp, also pistons. Were do I get these 2 things from - best place? For fitting and setup as always I'll go to Ed or mph. I cannot wait to get these things done ASAP!

the pistons gotta be used. you need to make sure they got decent rings as the can set you back £100. Your best bet is to contact http://www.autosprint.co.uk/ about the cams, but this will obviously out your car of the road unless you get some spare cams so you might consider buying some piper cams from http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/. I wouldnt go to mph as I think hes massively overpriced.

Pretty much already covered but.....

If you consider CG10DE pistons, make sure they are from an earlier engine, i.e. before 07.2000, otherwise you will end up with the later type coilpack piston which the piston rings are unavailable for, (always good to have the option). I have a new set of CG10DE piston rings from the earlier type pistons, so if you choose that route you are more than welcome to them :)

Cams come in 2 choices from Matt, either NME 256deg with 8.35mm lift or 773 264deg with ~9.1mm lift. Autosprint in Birmingham is the recommended choice for regrinds with plenty of profiles kicking about thanks to Frank. You will have to pay attention to valvetrain as you wont be able to get adequate valve clearance within the standard Nissan shim range, so that's a choice to make.....been done a few times now though.

I don't rate the standard inlet manifold either but that's because I have been spoiled by throttlebodies and know what they can deliver. This choice however RAPIDLY increases costs and also can add it's problems, such as having to run without the standard brake booster due to clearance issues. They do however add very good power/torque and do not cause massive losses in low end performance like most forums seem to throw around....they are also VERY noisy! A choice purely left for those chasing big power/torque combinations in my opinion.

Since you have a Nistune already, I would say a 'no frills' rebuild with some CG10DE earlier type pistons and a better cam would be a great next step. Not only will you add a good amount of torque with the compression increase but you'll be able to add a good amount of power while you're at it and since you can tune for it, it will end up being a nice overall package. Close to 120bhp should be achievable and also remain very drivable too. Your flywheel will make things pickup very well from an acceleration point of view too and make for a really nice setup overall.

Be sure to keep the blog updates going :)

Thanks so much Low Rider. I will be going for 1.0 pistons if it is effective (dont have a clue what they do but I don't care :p), any chance you can get me some?

How does it sound if I just get cams and 1.0 pistons with remap from Ed? - I prefer simpler things that go like lego - don't really want to go down custom made route of inlet manifold etc :p.

Can you point me in right direction exactly were from and what cams to buy?

And yes I am very poor with blog (my car thread in sig) updates especially pictures!

1.0 pistons increase compression to 11.7 from stock 9.5. Increased compression will give you higher torque and power through the whole rev range. If you get cams and want the most from them you really should also get pistons to raise compression. Spoon (a big Honda tuner) recomend fitting hi-comp pistons when installing higher lift and overlap cams due to the drop of dynamic compression ratio... You should see good gains from this!

Awesome airmike I UNDERSTAND (Y)! Sorry to be a pain, were exactly do I buy these from?

Breakers. You will have to get used ones. And to change them you will also need a new headgasket and big end bearings i think (frank will know)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back