1.6 K12 R16 - burning smell from under the bonnet

When I bought the car I thought the NS front brake was binding as there was a burning smell on that side. However that proved incorrect. If I start the engine after a minute or so of idling there is a smell a bit more acyrid than you get from brake material which is most noticeable from under the bonnet on the right hand side of the engine (battery side). It apperas to be strongest right at the end of the engine near one of the coolant hoses. There are no leaks I can see and no noise from anything.
Any clues as to what it might be?

If it smells like brake pad dust Its clutch dust from the bellhousing. its a box out job if it bothers you so much although its nothing to worry about Also check the exhaust isnt plastered in underseal. Ben

I thought it was a burning brake smell because the hand brake had seized on in the cold spell. But as you say it is coming from the clutch end. So I'm wondering if the clutch slipped when moving the car with the seized handbrake(this was before I bought it). The smell won't go away but has not got any worse. The clutch does not slip but would you not expect the smell to eventually go?

I thought it was a burning brake smell because the hand brake had seized on in the cold spell. But as you say it is coming from the clutch end. So I'm wondering if the clutch slipped when moving the car with the seized handbrake(this was before I bought it). The smell won't go away but has not got any worse. The clutch does not slip but would you not expect the smell to eventually go?

No mate, it wont go, its stuck in the bellhousing of the box, the only way is to take out the box and clean it. its deadly that stuff so dont try blowing it out unless you wear a bloody good facemask.

One option is that you take out the crank sensor from the bellhousing, its a green plug and the sensor is held in with a 10mm bolt. You can the douse a full tin of brake cleaner into the bellhousing and run it with the crank sensor out (it will start on the cam sensor but you will have mil on with po335 CKPS). Get a cheapo scanner off ebay for 40 quid then you can erase your own mil lamps.
You can then blow out with compressed air and mask!
Good luck mate, if no good still just run your AIR INTAKE ON RECIRC TO STOP THE STENCH INVADING THE CABIN.
BEN

Thanks Ben. I must admit the clutch was a bit fierce on take up when I first drove the car. It seems to be much better now plus I am getting used to the car in general. I'm hoping the life of the clutch has not been shortened by the binding brake experience.
You will need to give me a clue to the jargon mil on with po335 CKPS. I have the worshop manual CD if that is any help.

burning

hello pal, the mil light I meant only if you start it whilst venting the dust and brake cleaner, but on thinking about it just douse the brake cleaner in to the crank sensor hole and replace the sensor or the light will come on, if you dont have a scanner to erase the fault it might be better to do that than risk putting the engine management light on.
po335 is the fault for crank sensor open circuit thats all. Dont worry just douse the ###### and run it be reet!! Make sure you check around the thermostat housing on the engine for crystallised light green coolant, check water levels prob ok but just make sure

Back