1.5dci vs 1.2 Petrol late model K12

Hi folks - good to join you on the forum

I am looking to get a 1st car for my daughter who has just passed her test and my 2nd will not be far behind as she has just turned 17.

I have a budget of about £2k and as my daughter likes curvy cars (new beetle, fiat 500, micra) so have found myself drawn to look at late model K12s

Firstly if anyone is aware of anything like this in the SOuth of England then please let me know
Secondly is there any good reason I should veer towards one or the other (i am looking for ~50k miles)
Finally is there a buying guide on here so I can have a checklist of items that I can run through

I was hoping to get a decent spec = perhaps a 25 anniversary model or equivalent

Thanks
Tim :)

If they are not going to be doing huge mileage a petrol 1,2 would be best , and cheaper to service if you do it yourself ,and still get mid 40s to the gallon .
Edited to add...
Plus the diesel uses a cam belt the petrol is chain driven so a lot less to worry about

Last edited:
Petrol would be better I'd say. Probably cheaper to run with current fuel prices, and the petrol will be ULEZ compliant, the diesel wont be. No regen nonsense to worry about either.

Thanks all,

GOt offered a good deal on a 1.5dci 25 anniversary model.

Has been serviced every year inc main dealer for the first 7 and has had a belt change.

Drove it home and got an indicated 74mpg (not sure what it really was)

Need to look into changing the strut top mount/bearing as there is some movement/noise and it makes the steering feel heavy so I am going to look for a guide to do this

Hi,
I bought a one owner 2010 K12 petrol in January for £2400 from a dealer for my daughter to learn in to supplement her driving lessons. I took her out in it several times a week. Which as it turns out is just as well as there were just no test dates at all available where we live near SE London. So a couple of weeks ago we ended up booking a cancellation in Lincoln and taking the Micra up there. The car had been reliable until the morning of the test when the exhaust snapped in two. Luckily we found a garage who dropped everything, got an exhaust in about 20 minutes and did it in time to get to the test centre. Not the best run up to a test and also having to take the test on roads she didn't know. Anyway, she passed the test very well (first time). We will be grateful to that garage for a long time !

In spite of the drama with the car she absolutely loves the Micra. She likes it because of the unusual looks ( she likes beetles also) and it's a nippy little thing. I had to drive it to Lincoln and actually it was better than I had expected on the motorway. And it's great around town.

I reckon your daughter could do a lot worse for a first car.

Back