1.5 dci idling

It idles ok but every 20 or so seconds it sort of surges for a second or two then back to normal.. Although i'm not sure its linked it also seems to have a flat spot low down in the revs?
Anyone know what this could be?
Its a 2008 1.5 dci active luxury model
Thanks.

Mine does the same, when its cold. If the engine has warmed up she runs fine. A buddy has suggested it could be something going in the diesel pump, but that is too scary to contemplate so I live with it. Been doing it for almost a year.

As for the acceleration, Are you sure you aren't over sensitive now and just feeling the turbo lag a lot?

I know mine is overdue for a service, may be the air filter messing with the air ratio, or in my case, I know that the turbo seals are leaking oil into the induction pipes, due to some stupid driving on my part, and then cutting the engine after high revs. I think that there may be oil on the airflow sensor.

Please let me know what you find, I dread the answer, but I will have to do something about mine too.

Cheers

Mine does the same, when its cold. If the engine has warmed up she runs fine. A buddy has suggested it could be something going in the diesel pump, but that is too scary to contemplate so I live with it. Been doing it for almost a year.

As for the acceleration, Are you sure you aren't over sensitive now and just feeling the turbo lag a lot?

I know mine is overdue for a service, may be the air filter messing with the air ratio, or in my case, I know that the turbo seals are leaking oil into the induction pipes, due to some stupid driving on my part, and then cutting the engine after high revs. I think that there may be oil on the airflow sensor.

Please let me know what you find, I dread the answer, but I will have to do something about mine too.

Cheers
I haven't had the car long so will have a look at it when i get time. Just need to find out where the air filter , fuel filter is and if it has an air flow meter.. I may take it for diagnostic test.. I will report back with results in a week or so

The air filter is on the right hand side if you stand in front of the car. It is tucked up against the firewall. There are no sensors there. The fuel filter is under the air box, You have to remove the whole filter housing and the pipe to the turbo to get to it. Its a mission to remove the diesel filter, I would pay someone to do it. There is a water sensor on some models.

There is an airflow sensor on the pipe leading to the inter-cooler. Its a hard black plastic pipe. Just be careful with it, its very easy to damage.

I see you were asking about remapping the engine? What is that all about?
Costs?

I am down in South Africa, been thinking about playing with the engine power output, but I am hesitant to mess with the commute mobile, there is no public transport.

Cheers

I will have mine looked at next week to see if any codes come up. I know the car has been serviced but looking through the service history i'm finding reciepts for oil and air filter changes but nothing on fuel filter changes.
I got it out on the open road today and give it a good drive in the low gears at high revs and noticed slight black dusty smoke coming out..
I know the previous owner only used it on short commuting journeys in london so not been driven fast so thinking could the cat or exhaust be coked up? And would a diesel cleaner be worth trying?

I have heard bad things about diesel cleaners. My thinking is that if it was a good additive, the fuel people would have added it already and if it isn't, why add it.

Like I said earlier, things down here are different, but I only run the 50 ppm low sulphur fuel. Its only been available for about a year here, but it makes a difference. There are people with more knowledge on the internet, so google is your friend.
The owners manual does say something about a particle filter in the exhaust system, and that driving at 80 kph for 20 minutes will burn it clean. I assume its the same for the cat. I think the fine black particles you refer to is soot from unburned fuel. The diesel engines don't like running high revs, and anything above 3000, on the Renault k9k engine in the Micra, it starts wasting fuel out the exhaust. If its white smoke, its oil, and you have a big problem.

It gets real technical, but Diesel is a slow burning fuel, and the fuel does not get a chance to completely combust before the exhaust valve opens. I used to drive tractors on a farm for a really cranky old man, and he used to slap me on the side of the head if the exhaust starts belching black smoke. I had the wrong throttle setting, or gear, or anything really. I didn't stay there long, but I did learn a healthy respect for my throttle settings.

The fuel filter only needs to be replaced every 5th service or something like that. But now that I think about it, mine hasn't been changed in 2 years, so guess what I am doing the weekend?

I have heard bad things about diesel cleaners. My thinking is that if it was a good additive, the fuel people would have added it already and if it isn't, why add it.

Like I said earlier, things down here are different, but I only run the 50 ppm low sulphur fuel. Its only been available for about a year here, but it makes a difference. There are people with more knowledge on the internet, so google is your friend.
The owners manual does say something about a particle filter in the exhaust system, and that driving at 80 kph for 20 minutes will burn it clean. I assume its the same for the cat. I think the fine black particles you refer to is soot from unburned fuel. The diesel engines don't like running high revs, and anything above 3000, on the Renault k9k engine in the Micra, it starts wasting fuel out the exhaust. If its white smoke, its oil, and you have a big problem.

It gets real technical, but Diesel is a slow burning fuel, and the fuel does not get a chance to completely combust before the exhaust valve opens. I used to drive tractors on a farm for a really cranky old man, and he used to slap me on the side of the head if the exhaust starts belching black smoke. I had the wrong throttle setting, or gear, or anything really. I didn't stay there long, but I did learn a healthy respect for my throttle settings.

The fuel filter only needs to be replaced every 5th service or something like that. But now that I think about it, mine hasn't been changed in 2 years, so guess what I am doing the weekend?

I'd like to change the fuel filter on mine but sounds complicated i have searched for photos of the fuel filter and maf sensor but not alot found. The car still has a wierd idle which runs fine but slightly surges for 2 to 3 secs every 30 seconds or so and stll has a flat spot at low revs when theres nothing then it seems to catch an go normal .

The air filter is on the right hand side if you stand in front of the car. It is tucked up against the firewall. There are no sensors there. The fuel filter is under the air box, You have to remove the whole filter housing and the pipe to the turbo to get to it. Its a mission to remove the diesel filter, I would pay someone to do it. There is a water sensor on some models.

There is an airflow sensor on the pipe leading to the inter-cooler. Its a hard black plastic pipe. Just be careful with it, its very easy to damage.

Costs?

I am down in South Africa, been thinking about playing with the engine power output, but I am hesitant to mess with the commute mobile, there is no public transport.

Costs?

Hi ive tried looking for a photo of where the airflow sensor is on the car but cant find one. Any chance you could take a photo please? cheers

Took it to a garage yesterday but they said they can't do a diagnostic test due to my car not having an engine management light on?
i cant believe an 08 diesel does,nt have an obd2 diagnostic system mate, has it got a diagnostic port ?

obdii-connector.jpg

What utter rubbish, my engine light's never been on and it regularly chucks codes for the glowplug circuit.
I'll try a different garage next week.. I havent had the car long but looking at the service history the fuel filter hasn't been changed in the last 2 or 3 services and has covered around 45000 miles.. Could it be a dirty filter causing the flat spot at low revs? I know the car had been previously used for commuting in london by a lady who isn't the type to give it some hard driving so could it be the egr coked up? cheers

If it's been pootled around town for 45,000 then chances are the filter could be gunked up and the EGR could be solid with soot and gunge. There's a guide to both jobs on my website.

If it's been pootled around town for 45,000 then chances are the filter could be gunked up and the EGR could be solid with soot and gunge. There's a guide to both jobs on my website.

Cleaning the Egr looks pretty straight forward but the fuel filter looks a bit complicated is it easy? cheers

It's not too bad, you just have to remove a few things to get at it.

Back