1.3Si refusing to fire

Evening all thanks in advance for help ....

Ok car been faultless for years no starting issues what so ever ... Been stood for a while 4 months since sorn and started on drive and around 4weeks ago cranks but wont catch ...

Battery was dead flat or loosing power so was cranking of jump leads but no joy ..

Checked plugs took out smell of fuel not flooded though plugs only 8 months old and in good nick ..

Checked throttle body and fuel pipes all tidy no leaks etc , vacum pipes and injuction kit no splits on pipping etc .

Looked at fuses the fuses in engine and to right under steering wheel no blown but what ones do you recommend looking at if any ??

1/4 tank of fuel 3 weeks old ( jerry can )

Tried to jump car in 2nd whilst pushing almost came into live engine judder almost came alive ??

Im thinking simply brand new battery while copping with a dying one ???

Or is it an immobilisor issue feels like something is sopping from firing cranking but not catching if that makes sense ... Its my sons car he has his test coming up and would love him to jump into it straight away and carry on the enjoyment and lively nature ;-)

thanks again Sefik ;-)

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
Probably flooded, remove fuel pump relay crank for a bit (may fire for a bit) replace fuse and away you (should) go!

Probably flooded, remove fuel pump relay crank for a bit (may fire for a bit) replace fuse and away you (should) go!
Cheers for the reply guys!!
with regards to the fuel pump crank relay...where about is it???
this sounds similar to my 200sx s13 that I use to have regards to removing a fuse cranking then replacing!! that used to work..!
any other suggestions to throw into the mix?

You could just leave the plugs out for a bit, the fuel will evaporate.

I started a Micra that had been stood for 2 years the other week, I fitted a battery and it started instantly on turning the key, which surprised me.

Ok update..ive taken fuel pump fuse out cranked it over then replaced it no joy.
the large ignition switch fuse/plug 30amp in case near batterey removed and checked not blown
checked all fuses nothing is blown can smell fuel so It cant be fuel pump.
im struggling gang!!!:(

Are you getting a spark at the plugs? You've not said. Take one of the leads off and see if it sparks against the cam cover. Have you checked inside the dizzy cap for corrosion on the rotor arm and cap contacts?

haven't check but it had a service not long ago inc new leads/plugs etc..do I just take off one of the leads from the cap and see if I get a spark from there{never done this although heard about it} if I get a spark would I need to check the rotor arm/contacts etc\\[not being lazy just asking}

thanks again..

Just pull a lead off and get someone to turn it over whilst holding the lead near the cam cover. You may need to put a screwdriver down the lead to touch the metal inside then hold the screwdriver handle so you don't get a shock whilst the metal shaft of the driver is near the cam cover. If this shows no spark then try the main lead to the dizzy cap for a spark the same way. If you get a spark from the main lead but not the plug leads, then there is a problem at the dizzy end. Like I said, then take the cap off and check its nice and clean in there.

Just pull a lead off and get someone to turn it over whilst holding the lead near the cam cover. You may need to put a screwdriver down the lead to touch the metal inside then hold the screwdriver handle so you don't get a shock whilst the metal shaft of the driver is near the cam cover. If this shows no spark then try the main lead to the dizzy cap for a spark the same way. If you get a spark from the main lead but not the plug leads, then there is a problem at the dizzy end. Like I said, then take the cap off and check its nice and clean in there.
cheers mate really appreciate your help I will have a go and report back!!

Hold accelerator pedal to the floor ... keep it there ... turn over for about 10 seconds .... if its begging to fire keep it turning ... big cloud of black smoke .... ..... My guess is its flooded ;)

Ok Update report...
Ive been under the bonnet and had a look at the lack of spark... there was no spark coming from the sparkplug..so I took the dizzy cap off ( im not that technical!!!) but the three contacts inside the dizzy where what I could described as furred up along with the rotar the end was furred up also... I tried to clean up the contacts with some sandpaper( is that ok?) and wiped the inside of the cap out.
I refitted it then cranked over and still no spark:(.
Would the fact the the cap and arm was furred up and even after an quick clean up it still wouldn't be enough to create a spark??
I will be ordering a new set of plugs dizzy cap and arm tomorrow. I will refit these tomorrow and get back with some good news hopefully!!
with regards to the rotor arm I need to take the old one off and put a new one back? is there a correct procedure that I need to follow up??/ anything else I need to know?

thanks in advance once again!!!

Unfortunately I can only advise on how the stuff works and not how it comes apart. I have a coilpack Micra so don't have a dizzy. If its anything like the cars I've had in the past, then the dizzy cap will be bolt or clipped on, and the rotor arm will be push fit or bolts. You need to check there is/isn't any spark from the coil also. Pull off the centre dizzy lead (the one from the coil) and get someone to turn the car over just like checking the other leads.

Furred up dizzy wont help things but.... have you checked error codes (flashing red diode in ecu) .. if you have no spark it could well be the coil thats packed up in the dizzy (mine failed) ... really would check the error code to see what it pointing to ..saves much messing about ... light can be very hard to see .. i had to unbolt mine to see the light flashing lol .. pretty sure you have to look from the drivers side to see it, head pretty much on the footwell floor ... no i am not winding you up :)
Also with regards the rotor arm ...Remove grub screw ... just pull off and refit new one .. you will note it only seats in the correct position .. replace grub screw .... also there is a spring in the earlier K11s (1995) that goes in the rotor (was one in mine and haynes describes it as the sping on the coil tower) .. may not be in later models.?...mine was missing and i suspect that may have caused early failure of the coil in the dizzy.... Do NOT overtighten dizzy cap screws ... you will crack the new cap . Dont pulll leads off old cap until you get new one on .,, so you have a reference to what lead goes where :)

Last edited:
update time. Still no joy!!!!!!!
fitted new rotor arm new dizzy cap new spark plugs .it still wont fire...it does sound stronger whilst its cranking over.
I checked for a spark whilst cranking over.( took sparkpug out whilst still connected to ht lead I cranked it over) still no spark..
What more can I do (other than ecu) its a 1999 1.3 si would the ecu be under footwell and have a flashing diode how do I find out about error codes etc) Thanks again getting depressed now:(