1.3 is not running right

wehey

Ex. Club Member
I have had my 1.3 engine fitted for nearly a year now but I have always felt that it's not running as well as it should. It just lacks the fizz that I expected and feels flat.
I have 2 other cars, both which have a quoted 75hp and as the Micra is lighter I would expect better performance.
On part throttle things are fine and acceleration is good, but as soon as I put my foot to the floor the engine feels as if it's bogging down as if it's too rich or too lean.
Spark plugs are a good colour, I have a new lambda and have tried 3 throttle bodies. The timing is set correctly with a strobe and checked via diagnostics. Compression is good also.
The only thing I haven't tried is the 1.3 ECU. Would this make any difference?
The engine is now stock apart from a Frank mani.
I did have a bigger air box and Sportex exhaust, which I though could be causing a lean mixture, so went back to stock everything but no difference.

I ran a 1.0 ECU on my coilpack 1.4 for a couple of weeks, and it was rubbish. When I changed to the 1.4 ECU it was a different car altogether. I know you're not a coilpack but I just thought I'd let you know my experience.

Last edited:
Check coolant sensors resistance within spec, dizzy cap points r oxide free, fuel filter, clean injectors, cat ain't blocked, tps reading correct.

Back