1.3 Gearbox swap into 1.4 sport K11

Hi guys, I'm new to the Micra world and this is my first post.

Boring introduction:
I first bought a 1.3GX Micra to be a cheap runaround while my Celica was off road getting it's engine rebuilt and because my E55 is too fancy to drive everywhere all the time. The MOT is up this week though and the clutch was on it's last legs so I decided to buy a replacement on Saturday just gone and I actually love it! It's a very tidy example of the 1.4 Sport model. Now, although I bought it for economy, it's definitely qualified for better than 'runaround' status, so I'm going to make a few light tweaks to it so that I can enjoy some country road blasting in it. It's got a very capable chassis for a small thing and with some light suspension mods it'll be good fun while not costing me the earth!

Thread:
Right, my one snag that I have with the 1.4 Micra is that the gearing is way too long. Especially when compared with my 1.3 GX, it just doesn't feel as zippy. My 1.4 is a facelift x reg (2000 model year) and before I send my 1.3 Micra to the scrapyard, I'd like to know if somebody can tell me whether or not the gearbox from the 1.3 will fit the 1.4 engine and if the transplant has been done before successfully? My 1.3 Micra is a 1997 P reg 2 door.

Thanks in advance for any help.

frank

Club Member
Interesting...tell me more please, sir?

I still don't like it though. I'd prefer much tighter gearing tbh.
the yard i use buys most of their crashed coilpack micra,s just for the g/box, then ships it to germany, to replace the chocolate N16 1.5 almera g/boxes i believe.
a coilpack 1.0 box will have a lower diff eh :)

oh right, thanks for the knowledge. I thought the gearbox actually had some substance...dunno, like tougher cogs or witchcraft.

I could use a coilpack 1.0 box, right? But the thing is, I'm thinking well if I have a perfectly good gearbox from the 1.3 car, why not just use that one instead. If it won't fit, then I won't bother. I don't want tighter gearing enough to want to spend lots of money on the car. Just more of a D.I.Y. thing, if it's feasible.

Ok I've changed my mind. I'll buy a cheap coilpack 1.0 gearbox and put that into my car.

Does anybody know the name of the gearbox/code ref for me to request from breakers yards?

frank

Club Member
the only numbers stamped on a nissan g/box i,ve seen were on a k10 one (near the clutch cable bracket)
i,ve never been able to find any on mine

Thanks buddy :)

I guess I'll just have to take the word of whoever is selling it...or I could try the classifieds on this forum and see if anybody is selling one.

frank

Club Member
you,ll probably find the factory used a paper barcode sticker eh, i can recall matt humphris posting that he removes the speedo drive and counts the crownwheel teeth to identify the gearing

Hmmm...I wonder if there's an aftermarket big final drive for the stock 1.4 box that I've got in the car? Then again, that could work out semi-expensive.

I'll just use the force and report back what I manage to find.

Thanks for your help thus far, Frank.

Did you post some gearing information? I got data via the email thread notification, but it's not in this thread :(

From I could see on it the gearing for the 1.0 box to my 1.4 box is near enough identical...I couldn't work out if the final drive was different though...can you educate me?

The 1.3 gearbox looks to be what I want for the post 2000 models. It's such a pity that the '95 model 1.3 gearbox doesn't fit my 2000 model car, as I've got a perfectly good one sitting right here at home :(