1.3 cams into cg10de trouble.

Hi, all! I min process of swapping 1.3 cams into my 1l engine and already make full bunch of mistakes.(just found guide how to do it).
Main problem is what that I cant put the chain back and timing. The chain just refuse to go back on the sprockets and it seems like it has to much load despite I took the tensioner off. And timing is the other problem as rotate inlet cam with spanner to set pointer on second (tdc)position. Also mark on idler sprocket is not on male, but female link and I cant change it, as part of engine casting on the bottom just preventing from doing so.
Will appreciate of your help, as just serviced my micra with new clutch, brakes, oils, joints etc. Wife will go crazy if Ill scrap it now due to not running engine.:(

Attachments

• IMG_3663.JPG
    IMG_3663.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,364
  • IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,006
  • IMG_3665.JPG
    IMG_3665.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 643
  • IMG_3669.JPG
    IMG_3669.JPG
    816.8 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 661
I struggle to put chain on the sprockets first. No way I can do that. Just wandering what is algorithm to to this? Bolt cams first to th engine and after sprockets into the cams with chain on top?

Ok. Now I've learned how to put everything together. It looks like this. Ive got 5 male links between two marks.

Attachments

• IMG_3671.JPG
    IMG_3671.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 572
  • IMG_3673.JPG
    IMG_3673.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 722
  • IMG_3674.JPG
    IMG_3674.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 561
But on idler sprocket mark is not on male link. Is it between two male links(marked red dot) and I cant move it, block head dont allow me to do that. Also below picture whe Ive opened cam cover - marks between links. Does it mean that someone has been there before? Or chain has slipped by itself?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_3649.JPG
    IMG_3649.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 663
the lower chain sits in a different position each time you turn the engine, if you turn the engine 1 full turn the male links on the top chain should then line up :)
you will need to turn the cams so that there is no piston/valve contact tho

Confused. Totally confused.
Lets say pointer on 2nd notch - what to do now? Set timing like on post #5 and install and release tensioner? But then it lots of chain slack from exhaust side, and no slack from intake side.
and how to determine that pistons will not hit the valves?

Last edited:
if you cant get them to line up then turn the engine 1 turn with the cams removed (or else turn the cams so that the valves clear the pistons)

For clarification - I should make 1 full turn from 2nd notch to 2nd notch with cams off and than put them back like this?
as-cam-1-jpg.42272

and idler sprocket will line up also?

i presume you've taken out your spark plugs, and the blocking feeling you're getting isn't just cylinder compression. i had similar problems when changing my inlet cam, but they all went away when i removed and released the tensioner.

Shall I start the engine? Aslo I made one turn on clockwise to check if there is no piston/valve contact.

Attachments

• IMG_3720.JPG
    IMG_3720.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 491
  • IMG_3721.JPG
    IMG_3721.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 529
  • IMG_3723.JPG
    IMG_3723.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 759
  • IMG_3724.JPG
    IMG_3724.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,799
  • IMG_3725.JPG
    IMG_3725.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 612
  • IMG_3727.JPG
    IMG_3727.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 649
thats usually the rattle from cold that members complain about, because the ratchet has,nt been locked into place and it takes a few seconds for the oil to pressurise the tensioner
the ratchet mech holds the piston out/tight while the engine is started from cold, so after fitting you have to forcibly shove the tensioner back till it clicks, and that resets the ratchet when the oil pushes it out for the 1st time (then its locked out)

Yes! She's alive!
Now engine feels completely different. I haven't drive for 2 weeks, but is seems like it accelerates faster, will check on motorway. Dat sound - wow, can hear notes of F1.:)
And few bad bits - looks like this silikone is not good at all. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00442NWOQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
Have to comeback to Threebond 1251. Also my new engine oil filter leaks a bit - its strange as I've done as per manual.

Frank, Tomwest, Magpie42, Wehey - thank you for your help, guys!;)

Back