1.3 cams into a 1.0

wehey

Ex. Club Member
Hiya all,
I have a set of 1.3 cams to install.
I have read somewhere that you can get better results by just fitting the inlet and leaving the exhaust cam as is.

Can anyone shed some light on this? what are the pros and cons?
Ta :)

Just fitting the inlet cam gives a good increase in mid range power, great for a daily commuter, I could fill the car up with shopping and passengers and it would pull much better than it did when stock. Using both moves the powerband higher up the rev range, so the increase in low to mid end is minimal, but combine this with a better airflow(GA airbox) and raise the rev limit(although there's no extra power) it loves to be ragged.

ah brilliant. that makes sense.
Any idea which option would produce the most gains overall??

I'd say go for both - I can't comment on using the other method but if you want power and ragability why not just bite the bullet and do both :D
It's also worth doing the dizzy mod, iirc you can rev to 7K with 1.3 cams easily and safely.

ah brilliant. that makes sense.
Any idea which option would produce the most gains overall??

You might want to try just the inlet first, then try both, as they both have there own pros and cons. And other mods will affect the results too, adding an induction kit for example, will make the flat spot around 3.5k more prominent but you'll gain a little more up top.

You might want to try just the inlet first, then try both, as they both have there own pros and cons. And other mods will affect the results too, adding an induction kit for example, will make the flat spot around 3.5k more prominent but you'll gain a little more up top.

mmmmm........yeah its worth a go as i dont really want a screamer!

Any clues as to the best way of upping the airflow into the engine? On here i have seen cone filters and piping, air boxes from Almeras' etc and cant decide what to go for

i would advise to try the inlet cam only first too, it means you can jam/lock the exhaust cam to stop it moving while you change it, and have less chance of ballsing the timing up :)
and try different timings too, i reset my inlet this week and it shifted the powerband noticably

I am going to have a crack at this soon. Can anyone advise as to what torque wrench I should buy??

Also, should I check the valve clearances before the swap?? The engine has only done 42k??
no point really wehey, i would check the timings tho, i usually check how much the 4 valves are open @tdc nowadays.
if you turn the buckets on cyl #1 so that you can see the little notch in the top, then you can spin the bucket side to side while you slowly turn the engine to asess when the camlobe actually makes contact with the shim.
1.3 cams should have about 10 or 20 deg of overlap, 1.0 cams have a bit of negative overlap

well i thought they seemedbit excessive but they are near where my girlfriend lives so if it wasnt ott then i would of had them thanks guys :D

This may sound like a dumb question, but does it not cause issues with the ecu when you fit 1275 cams?? And what's better to use on a one litre, 1275 or 1348 cams?
Thanks in advance!

Back