1.3 auto oil cooler

Thinking of changing the radiator on the trike to improve cooling, to do this I might have to split the oil cooling from the main coolant radiator.
I have 2 places for the radiator to go but they have partially blocked air flow (rider and passenger).
does anyone know what capacity the oil cooler in the radiator is? I’m not wanting to dismantle the radiator to find out as this will put the trike off the road until I have rebuilt the cooling system, I want to assemble the kit before starting work on it.

pollyp

Club Member
Thinking of changing the radiator on the trike to improve cooling, to do this I might have to split the oil cooling from the main coolant radiator.
I have 2 places for the radiator to go but they have partially blocked air flow (rider and passenger).
does anyone know what capacity the oil cooler in the radiator is? I’m not wanting to dismantle the radiator to find out as this will put the trike off the road until I have rebuilt the cooling system, I want to assemble the kit before starting work on it.
The oil cooler is just a simple 20cm long tube (approx 50ml?) submerged within the bottom rad header.

1/2 the rad is normally obstructed on the micra by the bumper so as long as the trike has the same cooling coverage it should be fine Imo.

A separate thermostatically valved gearbox oil cooler would be ideal but not essential.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

The oil cooler is just a simple 20cm long tube (approx 50ml?) submerged within the bottom rad header.

1/2 the rad is normally obstructed on the micra by the bumper so as long as the trike has the same cooling coverage it should be fine Imo.

A separate thermostatically valved gearbox oil cooler would be ideal but not essential.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Micra Sports Club mobile app
What temperature thermostat would I need?
it’s the shape of the original radiator that’s not helping within the engine bay, I’m thinking about a full width rear moun rad with a oil cooler at the front.

This is the layout. The radiator is on the left side of the trike As you look from the front.

Attachments

• 6661CAA3-C652-417A-B0B5-CAD986B91AFA.jpeg
    6661CAA3-C652-417A-B0B5-CAD986B91AFA.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 152
  • 77651D8B-8980-4E10-836C-FED671B2CFCE.jpeg
    77651D8B-8980-4E10-836C-FED671B2CFCE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 133
  • 0424D481-1038-4D93-9A60-45ABCE402511.jpeg
    0424D481-1038-4D93-9A60-45ABCE402511.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 122

pollyp

Club Member
What temperature thermostat would I need?
it’s the shape of the original radiator that’s not helping within the engine bay, I’m thinking about a full width rear moun rad with a oil cooler at the front.
are you running a CVT with the CG13?
I'm not sure the auto gearbox oil gets that hot (in comparison to engine oil), which is why it's simply a tiny cooler shared within the coolant radiator.

are you're coolant temps staying 82-90c during the most intense run? (long steep climb on a hot day)
cos as long as the radiator can cool the water enough to keep the engine safe, the auto gearbox oil cooler should be fine.

imo it's only if you detect the engine is beginning to overheat (poor radiator airflow, poor cooling system condition, gearbox oil overheating) that you may need to look into upgrading or separating the two coolers to improve their performance.

When I was worried about cooling on my cg13 mini I found a pair of motorbike radiators that have the same size inlet and outlet as the heater outlets on the cg13, you could plumb one in to your heater circuit to help improve cooling.

are you running a CVT with the CG13?
I'm not sure the auto gearbox oil gets that hot (in comparison to engine oil), which is why it's simply a tiny cooler shared within the coolant radiator.

are you're coolant temps staying 82-90c during the most intense run? (long steep climb on a hot day)
cos as long as the radiator can cool the water enough to keep the engine safe, the auto gearbox oil cooler should be fine.

imo it's only if you detect the engine is beginning to overheat (poor radiator airflow, poor cooling system condition, gearbox oil overheating) that you may need to look into upgrading or separating the two coolers to improve their performance.
She runs warm, not hot. The fan comes on more than I feel it should. This is why I feel the need to change the radiator to something that fits in to the air flow better and away from the exhaust manifold ( currently about 2-3cm), if I could turn it on it’s side that would be the perfect position.
it’s moving away from the micra radiator to something that fits my vehicle is the reason for the question, I might try fitting a small radiator to the heater matrix outlet as a first port of call.
I am also keeping up with a bike group with it, so it is ridden a bit harder than normal use?