1.0 to 1.3....is it worth it?

next year when my sons(hopefully) got a years ncb under his belt he'll be thinking of upgrading,but due to the work thats went into his car he doesnt want to change car,cos he loves the wee micra,and it has been a long project.so he'll be wanting more power.personally i think the little 1.0 16v unit is pretty nimble.when he got it i drove it down the motorway while his then girlfriend followed in her 1.0 new corsa.she couldnt keep up.my 1st thoughts were ''this little thing is great fun''.and its not like i drive a slow car myself.
his 1st thoughts were to tweak the 1.0.but i think its false economy.the outlay compared to the power gains dont weigh up as far as im concerned.
so i reckon a 1.3 is the way to go,but rather than pick up a 1.3 from a scrapper im reckoning buy a rotten 1.3 k11c and use it as a donor car.so we got all the bits we need for the swap.
im pretty good with the spanners,but what i need to know is everything i need to swap over...
engine
gearbox
driveshafts
ecu
throttle body and inlet manifold.

but what else.
and also what are the power gains from 1.0 to 1.3?is it even worth it?

If you want a bit more top end power for highway trips/overtaking/track days; sell the 1.0 and buy a 1.3 Micra.
If you just want fun at traffic lights with the nippiest little car ever, keep the 1.0 :) (shorter ratios on the 1.0 gearbox)

If you want a bit more top end power for highway trips/overtaking/track days; sell the 1.0 and buy a 1.3 Micra.
If you just want fun at traffic lights with the nippiest little car ever, keep the 1.0 :) (shorter ratios on the 1.0 gearbox)
thanks but getting rid of his 1.0 isnt an option.far too much work been done to it.so its engine swap and not car swap.

Swapping to the 1.3 is hella fun, very quick in low gears.

As a daily driver I'd kill for a 1.3 gearbox. The 1.0 is no good for motorways or long distance.

you only need swap the bare engine then mate :) same mani,s/throttlebody/injectors etc
and gearbox too?or is that a judgement call?dont want it to squeal like a b**ch or give a duff speedo reading.
and what about the ecu?i remember doing a 1.1 to 1.4 swap on a metro years back and it underfuelled

Swapping to the 1.3 is hella fun, very quick in low gears.

As a daily driver I'd kill for a 1.3 gearbox. The 1.0 is no good for motorways or long distance.

How bad is it really skymera?

I'v a 1.3 sitting in the garage and while I don't intend to use it for really long journeys, is it a lot worse and the 1.0l on the 1.0l box? does it sit at a higher or lower revs?

It revs the same on the same gearbox..

I just don't like sitting at 4.2k rpm doing 70~

Not much headroom before you're doing 6k and almost bouncing off the limiter :rolleyes:

It revs the same on the same gearbox..

I just don't like sitting at 4.2k rpm doing 70~

Not much headroom before you're doing 6k and almost bouncing off the limiter :rolleyes:

Hmm, pretty sure mines sits at about 3.8-4.0 doing 70mph =/, ill have to double check that tho!

Just buy a 1.3/1.4 ??? easiest option of all. The big difference between the one and one point 3or 4 is on the pick up, rapid and a lot of torque. Once you're up to the 70/80 mark, you would not know the difference imo.

Just buy a 1.3/1.4 ??? easiest option of all. The big difference between the one and one point 3or 4 is on the pick up, rapid and a lot of torque. Once you're up to the 70/80 mark, you would not know the difference imo.

While it may be the easiest option, finding a 1.3/4 that's in a good shell ect is difficult

While it may be the easiest option, finding a 1.3/4 that's in a good shell ect is difficult
yeah but in my case the last thing i want is a good shell.ideally i want to find a rotten piece of sh** going for scrap money.the shell will be going to the scrappy after ive taken what i want from it anyway.my boys car(now)has an excellent rot-free shell.

yeah but in my case the last thing i want is a good shell.ideally i want to find a rotten piece of sh** going for scrap money.the shell will be going to the scrappy after ive taken what i want from it anyway.my boys car(now)has an excellent rot-free shell.

Yeah I was reply to davy.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a 1,3 engine, its finding one with decent milage that's the problem or finding one that can be heard running

Yeah I was reply to davy.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a 1,3 engine, its finding one with decent milage that's the problem or finding one that can be heard running
yeah that could be an issue.i wouldnt buy just an engine though.id go for a full car thats been laughed off an MOT ramp.that way i get the gearbox too,and when ive ripped the heart out i can fill it up with scrap metal,put it over the scales and get back what i paid out on it.if fleabay prices are anything to go by for engines i can buy a whole car cheaper than just an engine.mileage i wouldnt be too worried about.jap engines,like german engines are generally bulletproof and will easily pass 200k before even marginal bore wear sets in

yeah that could be an issue.i wouldnt buy just an engine though.id go for a full car thats been laughed off an MOT ramp.that way i get the gearbox too,and when ive ripped the heart out i can fill it up with scrap metal,put it over the scales and get back what i paid out on it.if fleabay prices are anything to go by for engines i can buy a whole car cheaper than just an engine.mileage i wouldnt be too worried about.jap engines,like german engines are generally bulletproof and will easily pass 200k before even marginal bore wear sets in
I did this with my 1.0l box conversion bought the car for £150 ripped engine and box out it put the box in mine sold the engine and the rest to a boy that wants to start grass track for £110 and sold McMicra the wheels for £40 I think? Made my money back, if your quick enough you can get the conversion done in 2 days engines out both on first day and engine in yours the day after thats carefully stripping hoses off and plumbing them back in could have cut the scraper engine hoses but I wanted to keep them for the boy.

Funny really, yesterday I was sitting on the beach baking hot in the sun - today full waterproof's on and still baking hot :confused:
Wish it would cool down, night temps up to 17/18 degrees - bonkers.

Back