1.0 to 1.3 conversion gearbox problem

ok, the story so far:
i baught a 1.3 engine and gearbox from Nex to put in my 1.0 car. i have now realised that the gearbox is from too newer car (mine is a 1993) and the 1.3 gearbox is from a car with nats, an electric speedo drive and an extra two wires that i guess are somthing to do with the car knowing what gear its in and regulating fuel and whatnot. so that gearbox is no good.
could anyone what gearbox i do need? do i need a box from a pre nats 1.3? but from what i hear they didnt make many pre nats cars.
any help would be great because i'm a bit up s**t creek as i have no other transport:(
hope this thread makes some sence, the whole problem only makes half sence in my head:D

You need a 1l gearbox to fit in 1l cars if you have a pre-98 - did all the mounts line up properly?
The two wires are for neutral and reverse and I'm pretty certain that you canb't swap mechanical/electronic speedo drives.

dont know if the mounts will line up, i just assumed they would:( this is turning into more work than its worth. might as well have put a 2.0 in there haha, speedo drives are totaly different sizes.
so would a 1.0 box fit a 1.3 do you know? and do i need to get it before a certain year for the wires and speedo to be the same as mine?
thanks for the help guys:D

^^ for simplicity, yes. You will need to use the 1l clutch and fly, though - are you planning on tuning the engine and do you still have your old 1l lump lying around?
Cheers

it was the box that went, the engine is fine, but i decided to upgrade, maybe not such a good idea. yeah, will have to put a 1lt clutch on it, wont be tuning it that much, air filter, exhurst, will the clutch be ok? yeah, still got the engine, was goin to sell it on ebay or somthing, it runs fine (done about 80,000) does anyone know how much it is worth? might also have a 1.3 clutch kit if anyone is interested (thats if my local motor factors wont take it bk).

just out of interest, why is it that i cannot use a 1.3 box?

noddie

i think the pre98 1.0 uses a k10 box (different mounts/cross member etc)
the clutch should be ok for a standard 1.3 but near its limits
the plus is 1.0 assy is lighter

frank

does anyone know of any way i could put a better clutch in? the thing is i dont want to spend to much so £200 sports clutches are out of the question really,
thanks again for your help everyone:D

the box you have should fit. you'll need the rear box mount from the 1.3, and also the gear selector rod. it is possible to fit a mechanical speedo drive, but you'd need the speedo drive from a 1.3 pre '98 as they are larger than the pre '98 1.0. nats isn't an issue when it comes to either the engine or box.

when you say rear box mount, what exactly do you mean, i may be being stupid but as far as i was aware there was one in each side and one under at the bk, is the one at the back the rear box mount? also, is there no problem with wiring?
sorry i'm asking so many stupid questioins, i just want to get it right:D
thanks

now fella. i got a 1.3 gearbox you can buy. done 54k miles. runs well. got drive shafts to go with it aswell. possibly gear linkages. I have done the 1.3 convertion myself and you need all these to complete it as 1.0 ones are different for your year! aswell as speedo cable but im sure you can sort that out. let me no.

thanks matthew but i have a gearbox and drive shafts, am hopefuly goin to pick up a speedo drive and mount today. thanks anyway mate.

update:
i wet to a breakers yesterday and spent 3 hours taking parts off a rather nice looking 93 1.3 LX. it had anti-roll bars so i had those, plus the speedo drive and cable, ECU, gear selector rod, and rear and left hand engine mount (not sure if i need both but the left hand side is starting to go on mine and this one is in pretty good codition).
hopefuly this will be enough parts to finnish the job, will update when i finish so that anyone doin the same can hopefuly learn from my mistakes:)
Noddie

Did you get front and rear bars? depending on year, you'll only be able to fit the front bar to yours.
Craig

in conclusion

Right... she runs! got it sorted last wednesday but only had chance to update now, took the car for a run up to thorp park at the weekend and it was great. had to modify the gear linkage a bit because of clearance problems and the gearbox end but that was fairly strait forward. wiring was fine, all i had to do was adapt the neutral/reverse wires as on my car they are in the same plug.

Overview of things i needed for the conversion:
A 1.3 engine, gearbox and TB,
The rear mount off of a 1.3,
Gear linkage off of a 1.3,
Both Driveshafts off of a 1.3
New 1.3 clutch kit (optional but recomended)
A 1.3 ECU (i am told it will run with a 1.0 ECU, but my guess is it wont run half as well) (maybe someone could clarify)?

Things i recomend...
when you buy the engine, make sure it has the sandwhich plate with it and better if the flywheel is already attached as this saves hassle (and if you want to be very pro/anal then when attaching a flywheel new bolts much be used which i could only find from nissan for the pricely sum of £7.40somthing +VAT) Each (there are 6 of them).
Get all nessasery parts before you start enless you dont mind it taking rather a long time.
Better still, have another form of transport

Craig: got the rear ARbar aswell but havent tried to fit it yet, the front one has improved the handleing loads.

if anyone is attempting this conversion and has any questions i will attempt to help but i am in no way brilliant at this type of thing.

Lastly, i would just like to say thank you very much to my dad for all his patiance and help (he doesnt read MSC but i thought he should have a mention)

Back