Site Supporter
Touche :)

108964233_10223221175138951_1876013519873386057_n.jpg

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Few days ago I had a brain fart, when cleaning my ears with JOHNSON'S Baby Cotton Buds. I removed the lid to have a cotton bud and looked at the lid in my hand. It has 90mm diameter and fits neatly on the top of the strut bolt recess.

Attached to the bottom side of lid M14 nut by using construction or industrial adhesive. Found left over from some previous project, black rubber U-edge trim and 4 recesses around the lid rim gives almost a manufactured look.

D.I.Y front strut covers, from lid of Johnson's Baby 200 Cotton Buds 100% Pure!

s-l1600.jpg

14895080.jpg

14895081.jpg

14895082.jpg

14895083.jpg

14895084.jpg

14895085.jpg

Awesome Mika! I have one side done which I did a couple of years ago with the lid from a jar of something or other I bought (and forgot what it was!) So only one side covered....... Will post pics.

Will get a tub of cotton wool buds tomorrow and go with your mod for the other side.

Before fitting the "shock waterproof cap" it's also a good idea to fire in some penetrating fluid followed by some grease (allow the penetrating fluid 24 hours to "penetrate" and then smear some grease over the area) cap it off with the waterproof "lid" and you're good to go should your front shocks ever need replacing.

Mike.

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Mike,

Here in the Land of the Finns we do have Bolt and nut tar for purpose of protecting metal parts in vehicles, machines that are out side a lot.
Commonly used on wheel bolts in spring and autumn during tire change, no corroded = stuck bolts! ;)

During mid age sail ship fleet of England, used tar for ship rigging, produced in Fin(e)land and shipped to harbors of England.

P.S Have you seen/read my question/message, about "Power Gain" in conversation section? :unsure:;)

-Mika-

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
LED it be!

I finally got around to installing Chinese made led-H4 bulbs to my Micra...
Friend of mine checked the lights with an aiming device at his garage. He said aim is great, and almost none of that weird reflection that is blinding/troubles on coming traffic, associated with H4-led bulbs.
Compared to halogen H4 bulbs, these put two times more light, in rain on black tarmac, I was able to see very well.
Autumn/winter is very near here in the Land of the Finns, interesting to find out how long they will last.
Small excitement for me when driving around, cause H4-led bulbs don't have any kind of E-approval.
I have to change bulbs to H4-halogens prior Finnish yearly MOT in March.

Bible: "Let there be light, and there was light.";)

15006830.jpg

Last edited:
LED it be!

I finally got around to installing Chinese made led-H4 bulbs to my Micra...
Friend of mine checked the lights with an aiming device at his garage. He said aim is great, and almost none of that weird reflection that is blinding/troubles on coming traffic, associated with H4-led bulbs.
Compared to halogen H4 bulbs, these put two times more light, in rain on black tarmac, I was able to see very well.
Autumn/winter is very near here in the Land of the Finns, interesting to find out how long they will last.
Small excitement for me when driving around, cause H4-led bulbs don't have any kind of E-approval.
I have to change bulbs to H4-halogens prior Finnish yearly MOT in March.

Bible: "Let there be light, and there was light.";)

15006830.jpg

Moro Mika!

Could you link those H4's? Also, are your parks just regular osram/philips led ones or did you order them online too?

Cheers! ;)

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Moro Mika!

Could you link those H4's? Also, are your parks just regular osram/philips led ones or did you order them online too?

Cheers! ;)
Terve Rane!
Led H4 are from eBay, can't find link for them.
Park bulbs are standard Osram led's, ordered from UK.
DRL's also from ebäy.

Terve Rane!
Led H4 are from eBay, can't find link for them.
Park bulbs are standard Osram led's, ordered from UK.
DRL's also from ebäy.

Iltaa Mika!

Would be nice if you would find the ones you're using for me, there's so many options on eBay. o_O

Were they hard to install? Since I had to go to Motonet to install my halogens, it was nearly impossible even though I don't have big hands.

Also, I saw Biltema selling H4 leds for like 69€ and they seem to have more lumens than for example the philips ultinon ones that are a little bit cheaper. :unsure:

PS. Those DLR's look sick! I might have to get myself those too. :D Was it an easy job? I might just get fog lamps with halo's or something.

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Iltaa Mika!

Would be nice if you would find the ones you're using for me, there's so many options on eBay. o_O

Were they hard to install? Since I had to go to Motonet to install my halogens, it was nearly impossible even though I don't have big hands.

Also, I saw Biltema selling H4 leds for like 69€ and they seem to have more lumens than for example the philips ultinon ones that are a little bit cheaper. :unsure:

PS. Those DLR's look sick! I might have to get myself those too. :D Was it an easy job? I might just get fog lamps with halo's or something.
I'll try to look.

Experienced mechanic replaces the bulb in 3 min/side...;)

I send you pm with phone number, call me at descent time?

Last edited:
I'll try to look.

Experienced mechanic replaces the bulb in 3 min/side...;)

I send you pm with phone number, call me at descent time?

Hardest thing was getting the connector off, I changed the bulbs on my brother's Hyundai i20 and it was piece of cake even though there wasn't much room there either.

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
For those of you that maybe consider to install DLR 1157-led bulbs to your vehicle.
Here is practical advise. Most of you have noticed that Americans have amber/orange parking/position bulb on front of their vehicles, incluging Nissan's.
I ordered from states three wire 1157 bulb sockets, that are direct plug in to turn signal lamp housing of Micra.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

A Pair Amber White Switchback 1157 BAY15D 4014 66smd LED Turn Signal Bulbs 990LM

Last edited:
For those of you that maybe consider to install DLR 1157-led bulbs to your vehicle.
Here is practical advise. Most of you have noticed that Americans have amber/orange parking/position bulb on front of their vehicles, incluging Nissan's.
I ordered from states three wire 1157 bulb sockets, that are direct plug in to turn signal lamp housing of Micra.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

A Pair Amber White Switchback 1157 BAY15D 4014 66smd LED Turn Signal Bulbs 990LM

Hi Mika, so are those working just like DLR's? Without the wiring hassle?

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Hi Mika, so are those working just like DLR's? Without the wiring hassle?
Your stock turn signal bulb/socket has one contact point. Led switchback bulbs are 1157 with two contact points and changeable.
1157 sockets from US of A as pictured above, you can use 1157-led bulbs without modifying your stock turn signal lights to fit 1157-socket.

Or you can order similar to these: 2x 1156 BAU15S LED White/Amber Switchback Turn Signal Light Bulb For Ford Toyota,
problem with these is, when/if the bulb burns, you can't just change a new bulb! :(
Either way, you will have to do wiring! :unsure:

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Soon coming: installation of additional LED hi beams, with self made stainless steel brackets.
Brackets will be mounted to front beam under 'bumper' cover.

15011081.jpg

15011068.jpg

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I received from US of A original Nissan from 240SX, 1157 bulb sockets, 3 wire American type.
They are direct fit to turn signal lamp housings of Micra, DRL led bulbs, shown above, will fit with out modifications to turn signal lamp housings.
I will change these with new turn signal lamp housings, stone chips have cracked both of them :(

15022526.jpg

15022527.jpg

15022528.jpg

15022529.jpg

Hi Mika,

Thanks for your great blog and awesome k12. Your posts have been incredible for a new k12 owner (and new site member)

I just ordered these angel eye fog lights for our C+C. https://www.amazon.fr/antibrouillard-Cabriolet-2005-2015-Voiture-diurnes/dp/B09XK6RQCJ/

I had a question about your lowering springs, as I am thinking about the same ones and am trying to work out the plan for doing it. But I see you just posted about buying new shocks on a different thread? Did/do the lower springs on your setup wear the shocks hard?

Oh! A second question if you have the time. You showed us closing off the silences on the air intake? What tape did you use for the job? Standard insulation tape or something else?

Thanks again for you posts,

Spoony

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Hi Mika,

Thanks for your great blog and awesome k12. Your posts have been incredible for a new k12 owner (and new site member)

I just ordered these angel eye fog lights for our C+C. https://www.amazon.fr/antibrouillard-Cabriolet-2005-2015-Voiture-diurnes/dp/B09XK6RQCJ/

I had a question about your lowering springs, as I am thinking about the same ones and am trying to work out the plan for doing it. But I see you just posted about buying new shocks on a different thread? Did/do the lower springs on your setup wear the shocks hard?

Oh! A second question if you have the time. You showed us closing off the silences on the air intake? What tape did you use for the job? Standard insulation tape or something else?

Spoony
As biker, I don't like DRL's in fog light position. Due location you see them at last second, like they are in many modern vehicles now days.

No, shocks aren't worn out due lowering springs. I bought Micra of mine 2014 with 78.000 km on on the 'clock'. Yesterday came 160.000km/100.000 miles.
When springs were changed, I noticed that shocks are originals from Nissan. In Marc on Finnish MOT, test mechanic said, shocks are barely acceptable.
So, it's just the thought at the moment. Here in the Land of the Finns, our normal yearly temperature range is between -30 to +30°C. Temperature variation takes toll on almost everything.

I used as of material, black plastic sheet from super market juice bottle 'pre curved' and black self vulcanizing by heat, 25mm tape.

I still think, this is practical to my needs => Mika's Micra K12 DRL's , with led bulbs at top of head lights! ;)

1655135295280.png

-Mika-

Last edited:
That's a good note to remind us of our two wheeled friends. I wouldn't have known that otherwise. If the angel eyes DLR/fogs were together with your DLR setup? would that be ok for bikers?

Reassuring re the shocks. I can't imagine what -30 does to a car. Or my knees for that matter :D

Thanks for the tip for the air intake. Will have add that to the list to do.

Cheers Mika,

Spoony

In last autumn I upgraded original speakers to Pioneer TS-G1723i 17cm 6.5" 3-way in rear, Pioneer TS-G1722i 17cm 6.5" 2-way front ones will follow when weather warms up in here. At same time I started sound proofing of noisy rear section in these vehicles, but yearly winter season with cold weather interrupted it. So whole winter time I had tiny Micra van, cause I removed back seat and interior rear side panels in order to do sound proofing :) Miraculously spacious van, when rear seat is off.
In addition on left side under drives seat nestles Pioneer TS-WX120A Active Subwoofer 150 Watt, I made a base for it from wood and this way it stays in place with out screws. Enough of sound system improvement to my preference & wallet :rolleyes:

Under rear speakers I made anti rattle rings from 20mm plywood, old trick to get rid of rattle noises after new speakers have been installed. They reinforce speaker surroundings when speakers-thin body metal-plywood bolted all together.

Micra%20rear%20speaker_4_zpsfehv4fak.jpg

Micrarearspeaker_zps6f47349d.jpg
I was wondering if you could help me. I’m trying to install rear speakers in my micra k12 (two door). I have taken off the rear panels but can’t tell if I have the right cable to install a speaker. On both sides there is a small brown cable is this the right one?

Attachments

• E145F30B-7ED7-4715-AB23-2396744898FA.jpeg
    E145F30B-7ED7-4715-AB23-2396744898FA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I was wondering if you could help me. I’m trying to install rear speakers in my micra k12 (two door). I have taken off the rear panels but can’t tell if I have the right cable to install a speaker. On both sides there is a small brown cable is this the right one?
Moi AlexGreen01!
Brown connetor is correct one, those 2 wires feed music to speaker.
Most likely your new speakers don't have Nissan specific pins. You need to cut wires and grimp correct connectors to wires, in oder to connect them to your new speakers.

Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Moi AlexGreen01!
Brown connetor is correct one, those 2 wires feed music to speaker.
Most likely your new speakers don't have Nissan specific pins. You need to cut wires and grimp correct connectors to wires, in oder to connect them to your new speakers.
When changing connectors for speakers you have to be careful not to get a 'phasing' error. The original connectors are not reversible, so they ensure that the speaker is 'in phase' with the others in the system. Speakers are polarity conscious, and if one is connected the wrong way round it will be out of phase with the others, this means that the cone of the speaker will travel in the opposite direction for the same input......this will make for very poor stereo reproduction... THIS demonstrates what I mean, run the video and listen to what happens when a speaker is not in phase...

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
My 'Icra' was scratched by another vehicle in the passenger front (RIGHT) corner last winter.
Some duff person, I see him when looking at a mirror, used by mistake summer windscreen washer liquid at -23C.
So in the right corner, the front of the tire was a lump of ice, when another vehicle touched it, the washer fluid container cracked, it was able to hold ~about liter of fluid. Not fun at winter driving!
'Icra' was repaired at the insurance company's expense at a local NISSAN dealership. Unfortunately the paint shop that they used didn't know that when disconnecting the battery, the radio would lock itself and ask the mysterious CODE.
I told a Nissan mechanic that one finnish guy wrote here MSC, the serial number of the radio can be seen by removing the pollen filter.
Due unfinished LED HI beam light installation, the glove box on my 'Icra' is removed, to gain access to get cables through the firewall.
The Nissan mechanic stuck his smart phone through the glove box opening and took a picture of the serial number. NO need to remove the radio from the dash! 2 minutes later, I had tunage back on my vehicle! ;) (y)

15104989.jpg

Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
My 'Icra' was scratched by another vehicle in the passenger front (RIGHT) corner last winter.
Some duff person, I see him when looking at a mirror, used by mistake summer windscreen washer liquid at -23C.
So in the right corner, the front of the tire was a lump of ice, when another vehicle touched it, the washer fluid container cracked, it was able to hold ~about liter of fluid. Not fun at winter driving!
'Icra' was repaired at the insurance company's expense at a local NISSAN dealership. Unfortunately the paint shop that they used didn't know that when disconnecting the battery, the radio would lock itself and ask the mysterious CODE.
I told a Nissan mechanic that one finnish guy wrote here MSC, the serial number of the radio can be seen by removing the pollen filter.
Due unfinished LED HI beam light installation, the glove box on my 'Icra' is removed, to gain access to get cables through the firewall.
The Nissan mechanic stuck his smart phone through the glove box opening and took a picture of the serial number. NO need to remove the radio from the dash! 2 minutes later, I had tunage back on my vehicle! ;) (y)

15104989.jpg
Ingenious Mika, but sadly some don't haver such a nice big clear label with the number on it, my one for instance only had the 'BP' number engraved on the side of the radio, no sign of the sticker on the back.....

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Ingenious Mika, but sadly some don't haver such a nice big clear label with the number on it, my one for instance only had the 'BP' number engraved on the side of the radio, no sign of the sticker on the back.....
John,
True. Unfortunately there are variations on the Micra vehicles...

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Bought those from Germany, still I'm not a fan of side/rear white/clear turn signals!:giggle:
Rear ones were taped to orange/amber years ago...;)

Led Seitenblinker passend für Nissan 350 Z | Micra K12 | Note E11 | GELB

s-l1600.jpg
I'm just the opposite Mika, I couldn't wait to get rid of the orange side repeaters on my last Saab, and replace them with clear ones. :0) I think a lot depends on the base colour of the car and what colour repeater lens 'goes'.......The only change of repeater lens I would consider for my silver K12 is to a lightly smoked version..

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Hi Mika,

I just ordered these angel eye fog lights for our C+C. Amazon product

Spoony

Yo Spoony!
Any pictures available of 'angel eye fog lights' installed?;)

And the lowering of my Micra vehicle.
Was done with => [url=http://www.ebay.de/itm/Eibach-Pro-Kit-Federn-fuer-Tieferlegung-NISSAN-MICRA-III-/141952178845?&clk_rvr_id=1212140586914&rmvSB=true]E10-63-010-01-22 Eibach Pro-Kit Federn für Tieferlegung NISSAN MICRA III 25-30mm . With original tire size 185/50-16, diameter 591mm, clearance from wheel to fender is ~45mm. For SR160 lowering is 25-30mm with linked springs, that's low enough for me on Finnish roads and speed bumps with 16" wheels. I don't need to dramatically slow down when driving to speed bumbs, drive ways/yard roads and no rubbing to inner fenders ;) ;) [/URL]
And these springs includes TUV-certificate in order to pass Finnish MOT.

14924277.jpg
Do u have any issues when the car has 4/5 people in it?

Sent from my SM-X906B using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Led bulbs now swapped, there is no need to remove wheels for this.
Using a jack or ramps to get the nose of the vehicle lifted from ground will give screw/rivet removal clearance, when wheels are turned to max to left/right.
I have RhrinoRamps, they, or similar, are really handy to have. Bought from the US of A, while I was living there, in sunny San Diego CA.
Tools needed for LED fog bulb change.

YouTube DIY-Ramps 👉 How to Make Absolutely amazing car INVENTION 10:51

Last edited:
Today's upgrade on my Micra. I changed 12V power outlet on dash to give power all the time. Instead normal way, you have power when ignition is on. Also I added to center console dual USB-outlet with voltage meter. I made spacer ring from 20mm plywood to fit it on center console, in behind there isn't enough space other vice. Unfortunately these vehicles don't have easy to view charging indicator.
=> [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-Motorcycle-Car-3-1A-Dual-USB-LED-Charger-Socket-Voltage-Voltmeter-Panel-/292105711126?var=&hash=item4402db6e16:m:mzIlKzdyP-mgR2gqeKKTw7w]12V DC Motorcycle Car 3.1A Dual USB LED Charger Socket Voltage Voltmeter Panel[/URL]
And the pics:
124008_2_b.jpg

Micra%20USB-volt%20meter_1_zpshp1qjt5m.jpg

Micra%20USB-volt%20meter_2_zpsgbzflyua.jpg

Micra%20USB-volt%20meter_3_zpsocvzn3xe.jpg

Presuming your car has the shorter/stubby bottom of the dash without the cup holders?

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
With aux led lights now there is effect, switching from hi beams to low beams, who killed the lights! :rolleyes:
Fix for that is led light bar, aimed same as low beams! ;)
Color coded & clear coated led light bar for my Micra! Let there be more LIGHT!
Mounting brackets for light, made from 6mm stainless steel by local trade school...

15200013.jpg

15200014.jpg