• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

-06 Micra 160SR of Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Some kind of trendy blog of evolution of my Micra vehicle. First time when I saw K12 Micra in 2004, I thought that vehicle is so ugly, that it actually looks nice. I was hunting red one from all over Europe for 2 years, either they were sold before I had chance to react or mileage/condition of vehicle wasn't up to my specs. This light blue one was sitting in Netherlands for over year, first dealer didn't want to sell it to me, because I wasn't living in Netherlands. Reason was too much paper work?

I can't call this as a project, it's more like customizing of vehicle to my liking. Starting point, following pictures are from Netherlands car store AutoSmeeing listing in 17 Apr 2014.
14770417.jpg

14770418.jpg
14770419.jpg
14770420.jpg
14770425.jpg
14770426.jpg
14770432.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
First action of customizing my vehicle was tape over with amber/orange window adhesive (5.00€) those ugly clear turn signals. After 3 years outside through summers and winters, no fading on them.

14770372.jpg

14770373.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
In some point clear side turn signals turned to orange/amber. I ordered Renault turn signals from eBay. Lower attaching portion didn't fit directly, known fact when ordering. Little bit of hand work & crafting and 'new' side turn signals were ready to be installed.

14770446.jpg

14770448.jpg

14770445.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
In last autumn I upgraded original speakers to Pioneer TS-G1723i 17cm 6.5" 3-way in rear, Pioneer TS-G1722i 17cm 6.5" 2-way front ones will follow when weather warms up in here. At same time I started sound proofing of noisy rear section in these vehicles, but yearly winter season with cold weather interrupted it. So whole winter time I had tiny Micra van, cause I removed back seat and interior rear side panels in order to do sound proofing :) Miraculously spacious van, when rear seat is off.
In addition on left side under drives seat nestles Pioneer TS-WX120A Active Subwoofer 150 Watt, I made a base for it from wood and this way it stays in place with out screws. Enough of sound system improvement to my preference & wallet :rolleyes:

Under rear speakers I made anti rattle rings from 20mm plywood, old trick to get rid of rattle noises after new speakers have been installed. They reinforce speaker surroundings when speakers-thin body metal-plywood bolted all together.

Micra%20rear%20speaker_4_zpsfehv4fak.jpg

Micrarearspeaker_zps6f47349d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I used stock ones, cut off original connectors in wire harness and replaced those with ones that fits to Pioneer speaker terminals.
For Pioneer TS-WX120A Active Subwoofer 150 Watt I routed power cable trough firewall grommet covered opening to battery, of course through fuse.

Location of opening is some what difficult to see under the hood/bonnet. Standing front of the vehicle it's located on left behind strut tower.
Firewall%20hole%20engine%20compartment_1_zpsqu8tbpvs.jpg

Firewall%20hole%20engine%20compartment_2_zpsw1dn5jab.jpg

From inside of vehicle, on left side of firewall. Yuo have to remove glove box to gain access to opening.
Firewall%20hole%20interior%20left_1_zpscq2efuj5.jpg

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Today's upgrade on my Micra. I changed 12V power outlet on dash to give power all the time. Instead normal way, you have power when ignition is on. Also I added to center console dual USB-outlet with voltage meter. I made spacer ring from 20mm plywood to fit it on center console, in behind there isn't enough space other vice. Unfortunately these vehicles don't have easy to view charging indicator.
=> [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-Motorcycle-Car-3-1A-Dual-USB-LED-Charger-Socket-Voltage-Voltmeter-Panel-/292105711126?var=&hash=item4402db6e16:m:mzIlKzdyP-mgR2gqeKKTw7w]12V DC Motorcycle Car 3.1A Dual USB LED Charger Socket Voltage Voltmeter Panel[/URL]
And the pics:
124008_2_b.jpg

Micra%20USB-volt%20meter_1_zpshp1qjt5m.jpg

Micra%20USB-volt%20meter_2_zpsgbzflyua.jpg

Micra%20USB-volt%20meter_3_zpsocvzn3xe.jpg

Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Today's upgrade on my Micra. I changed 12V power outlet on dash to give power all the time. Instead normal way, you have power when ignition is on. Also I added to center console dual USB-outlet with voltage meter. I made spacer ring from 20mm plywood to fit it on center console, in behind there isn't enough space other vice. Unfortunately these vehicles don't have easy to view charging indicator.
=> 12V DC Motorcycle Car 3.1A Dual USB LED Charger Socket Voltage Voltmeter Panel
And the pics:
124008_2_b.jpg

Micra%20USB-volt%20meter_1_zpshp1qjt5m.jpg

Micra%20USB-volt%20meter_2_zpsgbzflyua.jpg

Micra%20USB-volt%20meter_3_zpsocvzn3xe.jpg
I rather like that Mika, hadn't thought about putting one there :cool:
edit:- Just found this Mika, looks like it would fit in the dash, replacing a blanking plug that is currently next to the electric mirror control, no voltage indication but would look very OEM.....
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Sunday 070517 updates:
Blue silicon steering wheel cover with bicycle tread pattern and blue heat shrink covered Renault Clio shorter antenna.
Now days you can buy heat shrink in almost every colors :cool:

Blue%20Steering%20wheel%20cover_zpsx4omtdb2.jpg

Blue%20Steering%20wheel%20cover_2_zpsvj1wuuzf.jpg

Blue%20Clio%20antenna_zps3wk0gwlm.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
And the lowering of my Micra vehicle.
Was done with => [url=http://www.ebay.de/itm/Eibach-Pro-Kit-Federn-fuer-Tieferlegung-NISSAN-MICRA-III-/141952178845?&clk_rvr_id=1212140586914&rmvSB=true]E10-63-010-01-22 Eibach Pro-Kit Federn für Tieferlegung NISSAN MICRA III 25-30mm . With original tire size 185/50-16, diameter 591mm, clearance from wheel to fender is ~45mm. For SR160 lowering is 25-30mm with linked springs, that's low enough for me on Finnish roads and speed bumps with 16" wheels. I don't need to dramatically slow down when driving to speed bumbs, drive ways/yard roads and no rubbing to inner fenders ;) ;) [/URL]
And these springs includes TUV-certificate in order to pass Finnish MOT.

14924277.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Todays 080517 upgrade, 3rd brake light led flasher.
Little bit of safety oriented mod this time. Three times I have been in vehicle, that has been rear ended by someone. It doesn't feel nice. Hopefully this mod will prevent such incidents. Bought from eBay => 12V GS-100A Car LED Brake Stop Light Strobe Flash Module Controller Box, 1156 bright led-bulb and male/female connectors, that are same like Nissan used in Micra's, from Finnish automotive general store.

s-l1600.jpg

2.22euro%20Red%201156%20Ba15s%2012%205630%201%20CREE%20Q5%20LED%20Turn%20Signal%20Rear%20Light%20Bulb%20Lamp%20D030_zpsyn8kwyua.jpg

Micra%203rd%20brake%20light_4_zpsnwdhdo5w.jpg

Micra%203rd%20brake%20light_3_zpstbl9p2lz.jpg

Then with little bit of tinkering I made from ingredients above module harness kit, which is easy to remove if need arises, example Finnish MOT.

Micra%203rd%20brake%20light_1_zpsq74uwgbz.jpg

Installation simply plug'n play :cool: Added bits of sound proofing foam for cushion to prevent damages to module :)

Micra%203rd%20brake%20light_2_zpsodett2tw.jpg

Final result => Micra 3rd brake light with led bulb and GS-100A flasher module.

Youtube's short demonstration about GS-100A => iJDMTOY GS-100A LED Brake Tail Light Strobe Flash Controller Demo

Fast and cheap installation of GS-100A => LSC-100A or GS-100A Brake Light Strobe Flasher Blinker Module

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Induction modification of my 160 SR
I removed 160SR duct a while back. It's all the way from intake to air box about 54mm in diameter. I found two intake silencers, most likely to muffle suction noise in drive by noise test, in duct. When I installed cold air induction to my Camaro, instructions told to plug or remove silencers, in order to avoid turbulence in air flow. I tough follow same principal with Micra and taped silencer openings in duct, I left silencers in place. Bigger one has mounting post for duct. There are three openings in duct, the 3rd is for sucking warm air from top of engine to prevent throttle body freezing in moist and cold environment. Two taped openings are circled with orange in pictures. This modification took about hour. I don't know is it my imagination, since something was done. But throttle response seemed to be little bit crispier... :rolleyes:

Micra%20air%20duct_1_zpsrumn6eor.jpg

Micra%20air%20duct_2_zpsk21nn52c.jpg

Micra%20air%20duct_3_zpsgprfm4pm.jpg

Micra%20air%20duct_4_zpslb7u5qyh.jpg

Micra%20air%20duct_5_zpsuad9jtk7.jpg

Micra%20air%20duct_6_zpsbvnxit34.jpg

Micra%20air%20duct_7_zpsqfobwluj.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Has anyone removed dash panel in picture? Any tips, hints or pointers not to damage anything? Or anything to take consideration before doing this? In case of emergency passenger airbag malfunction due panels increased strength by tape?
I have this brilliant idea to over tape it with almost same blue as exterior of vehicle. I've already checked with white tape that there isn't reflections in windshield due this panel being taped blue.

Micra%20dash%20panel_zps5kbaxfg6.jpg

Good looking SR
Will be following your interior painting since i like to get rid of the light/beige panels in my interior. And maybe add some color as well.

Keep up the good work

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Small details, ordered moment ago blue stainless steel torx bolts M6 x 20 for front and rear lights, this modification gives to my Micra about 0,0007km/h more top speed! :D
Linsenkopf Flansch TORX Edelstahl A2 blau M6 ISO 7380-2 Schrauben

Sorry Mika, you missed a chance of at least yet another 0.0007km/h, you should have bought these from the same seller instead.;)

s-l1600.jpg

The weight reduction of the anodised aluminium alone guarantees extra performance, ignoring the greatly increased bling factor! :D

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I like tone of blue in those that I bought, anodized is off too much. And price on titanium bolts is also off limits to my thin wallet. Regarding weight reduction of the anodized aluminum, is already compensated by self made cold induction improvement :cool:

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Fashionable & easy mod, painting of brake drums. This makes rear of vehicle looking nice, I didn't realized, before seeing with my own eyes, how big difference this makes to appearance of Micra :cool:
Like John_D says: small details ;)

Before removal of surface rust.
Brake%20drum_1_zpstmxm17ol.jpg

After surface rust removed.
Brake%20drum_2_zpsb410jp9g.jpg

Tools used.
Brake%20drum_3_zpso6yyrcmd.jpg

Really easy to lift rear of vehicle from hitch.
Brake%20drum_4_zpsjugjpzps.jpg

Done, brown ugly round thing is camouflaged. I added blue 'NISSAN' decals at same time.
Brake%20drum_5_zpsgvp0sol5.jpg

Brake%20drum_6_zps4tvjqgck.jpg

090818 1293

Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Fashionable & easy mod, painting of brake drums. This makes rear of vehicle looking nice, I didn't realized, before seeing with my own eyes, how big difference this makes to appearance of Micra :cool:
Like John_D says: small details ;)

Before removal of surface rust.
Brake%20drum_1_zpstmxm17ol.jpg

After surface rust removed.
Brake%20drum_2_zpsb410jp9g.jpg

Tools used.
Brake%20drum_3_zpso6yyrcmd.jpg

Really easy to lift rear of vehicle from hitch.
Brake%20drum_4_zpsjugjpzps.jpg

Done, brown ugly round thing is camouflaged. I added blue 'NISSAN' decals at same time.
Brake%20drum_5_zpsgvp0sol5.jpg

Brake%20drum_6_zps4tvjqgck.jpg

090818 1293
Very nice Mika, were you not tempted to do them body colour rather than black?;)

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Nope, in blue they would look funny and sort of stick out and also revealing to others that 160SR isn't really 'sporty' due lack of rear disc brakes.
On the other hand now it looks like there isn't rear brakes at all :confused:
Front calibers will be blue in near future, I already have primer and paint in hand :)

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Nope, in blue they would look funny and sort of stick out and also revealing to others that 160SR isn't really 'sporty' due lack of rear disc brakes.
On the other hand now it looks like there isn't rear brakes at all :confused:
Front calibers will be blue in near future, I already have primer and paint in hand :)
I know what you mean Mika about the rear drums. I wonder if it is a practical modification to fit rear discs from one of the sporty Clio 3's that share the same platform?.....I suppose a complete rear axle swap would be the easiest way, which should be straight forward?
This is a Clio 172/182 axle, currently on eBay for £150.......

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
John, Very good creative thinking from you again. It's not practical, Micra stops in normal street/highway driving well enough with standard brakes.
I send to seller question of dimensions, just in case if thought starts to envolve, would be cool to have Micra with rear dish brakes...
Dish brakes to rear =>Greek turbo kit => stronger clutch and drive shafts... :cool:
Browsing the web came to mind, same platform, would Clio's 2.0 engine fit under hood of Micra... ?

Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
John, Very good creative thinking from you again. It's not practical, Micra stops in normal street/highway driving well enough with standard brakes.
I send to seller question of dimensions, just in case if thought starts to envolve, would be cool to have Micra with rear dish brakes...
Dish brakes to rear =>Greek turbo kit => stronger clutch and drive shafts... :cool:
Browsing the web came to mind, same platform, would Clio's 2.0 engine fit under hood of Micra... ?
Well Mika the swap from drum brake axle to disc brake axle on a Clio Mk3 which is built on the same floor pan as the Micra K12 seems to be very straight forward see HERE . Would appear to be a straight swap on the Micra........

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
That's really interesting, informative video! Don't seem to be nuclear science.
One thing it does show (unintentionally) is the danger of fitting drastically shortened springs to the rear without fitting shorter drop rear shock absorbers:eek:. That car is in serious danger of having the rear springs drop out on maximum suspension 'droop' like driving over a hump back bridge at speed!

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I copied good idea of Callum, with small modification.
Bought URBIS-badge from UK and used letters S and R to front grill. Letters are with same font and slightly smaller than in rear of Micra. I made from 5 mm thick black plastic strip a bracket for letters, drilled and threaded it. 5mm hole was drilled forto grill M5 stainless bolt that goes through grill to bracket. And now I have almost factory looking SR-badge in front of Micra :cool:

dsc_4658-jpg.54757

URBIS%20emblem_zpsg1y6u2ox.jpg

Micra%20SR_1_zpskk4wmgob.jpg

Micra%20SR_2_zpssn35jtcg.jpg

Micra%20SR_3_zpsw7axrhxj.jpg

Micra%20SR_4_zpsqzdjp6ub.jpg

Yes, I noticed that badge is little bit crooked, will straighten it later today... :oops:

290818 1881

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Dear moderator!
Did you remove DRL section from my blog by accident or purposely?! :unsure:
If by accident, please return it?
If purposely, please tell me why?
-Mika-

OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Get one of those German Cobra exhausts mate...... a few months in and I can honestly say that was 99 "Euros" well spent..... a definite (slight) improvement in performance and an awesome (understated / quality / subtle) tone from the exhaust...... very nice indeed and takes 5 minutes to fit, and it's a perfect fit too! https://cobra-sor.com/Sport-Exhaust-silencers-stainless-steel-16-L-petrol_2

Nice pillow by the way :giggle:
Hello Mike Grierson!
Here in the Land of the Finns, cost of Cobra exhaust from Finnish dealer, delivered to my house is 175€ (including VAT). Cobra don' t deliver it directly to me, because they have dealer in Finland.
Did you ordered yours from UK or did Cobra delivered it to you from Germany? If you were able to order it from Germany, how much it cost including everything? PM the answer please?

Thanks for pillow compliment! ;)

edit Sep 27. 2020
Pictures of German Cobra exhausts by umagumma

14860527.jpg

14860529.jpg

14860530.jpg

14860531.jpg

14860532.jpg

14860536.jpg

14860535.jpg

14860539.jpg

14860538.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mika The Finn

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Following filosofy of John_D small details! :cool:
Blue oil drain plug, most likely almost everyone will notice this mod in my Micra vehicle?? :unsure::D:LOL::ROFLMAO:

14770386.jpg

Last edited: