05 Nissan Micra won’t start

Hello Huttojb,
I have a 05 automatic micra that won’t start. I drove the car 2-3 days in December with no altinator belt, I didn’t know it snapped. As a result the PS light came on and I drove it to my local garage and they replaced altinator & water belt. Then they said the powersteering motor needs replacing. I got one from a scrapyard and that was all ok I drove the car 1-2 weeks but there was a loud screeching noise. I took the car back and the garage said the belts need adjusting. They did it while I was there and as they were testing for the noise both belts snapped due to the car being revved. I left it with the garage then they said the battery died so the car is not starting.
I replaced the battery and it’s still not starting so the garage fit a button so instead of turning the ignition knob ( it’s a proxy key) I would push the button. They said they wired it to the fuse box. The car went to a Nissan dealership as I was told a NATS needs to be done but Nissan could not even do diagnostics . I am attaching the Nissan report. Now the garage is saying the powersteering has a code and due to the battery dying the PS needs recoding. Just want to know from yourself as I’m loosing faith in what the garage is saying. I am a disabled driver and the garage has had the car about 2 months. Hope you can help me. Thanks

Attachments

• F5382989-2111-47D6-9255-CFBDE82990C2.jpeg
    F5382989-2111-47D6-9255-CFBDE82990C2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 125

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
I replied to your message to me but this is the problem when people with a little bit of knowledge causes issues. The person who supplied the unit to you should pay the cost! The saying ‘a little bit of knowledge is dangerous…..’ so true. The units are linked to NATs. Unless I plug in to the car, or unit, I cannot help and your too far from me to come and visit. If you were Birmingham I would come and see you. I have Nissan Wolverhampton ringing me up every few month for this reason, that’s not too far so I do try and help.
jason

OP
OP
J
Thank you so much Jason for your reply. I will ask the scrap yard that supplied the PS motor if they can help but they definitely won’t cover costs, neither will the garage that fit it. They are trying to get more money out of me by saying towing charges to and from my local Nissan dealership. They are saying they got a local garage to do a diagnostics (my car was too old for Nissan to diagnose according to the garage where my car is now). The garage is getting somebody else to have a go at the chip but firstly they said the PS motor will need to be taken out and then see if he can re- set it. If that does it great but after that it looks like selling the car for scrap.
Thanks again.

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Be careful if they start trying to swap the NVM. I have wrote about that in one of my previous threads. I hope you get it resolved and hope it doesn’t cost too much money. Shame you didn’t come and see me before you sourced a unit, I would of helped, although sourcing units is getting harder and harder.

OP
OP
J
The garage said they going to get somebody to try and re code the PSmotor so it recognises my key. Thanks tho for your advice.

OP
OP
J
Should I get the car towed to a garage that does electrical stuff. The garage that it’s at now probably doesn’t even have that knowledge.
I am at breaking point.

Hi I'm also there this is the worst car I have ever owned and will never ever again buy a Nissan, I am selling my car for scarp.
Or even better take it to an open field and put a match in the tank. never but Nissan, anyone wanting to but a Nissan don't.

Hi I'm also there this is the worst car I have ever owned and will never ever again buy a Nissan, I am selling my car for scarp.
Or even better take it to an open field and put a match in the tank. never but Nissan, anyone wanting to but a Nissan don't.
That exactly is the problem with yours?

Sent from my TECNO CG6 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J
Did you also have the PS motor changed. Mine started after the battery died and the car don’t recognise the f-ing key. They now putting in a new ( well reconditioned) virginised unit.I love micras I’ve owned 2 automatics, can’t drive manual due to my disability. I did some digging & phoning and on this thread was advised what it could be and bingo from members advise mainly huttojb I forwarded certain parts of the message and now the garage did start the car but it was pulling to one side so now they said just change the unit. I’ve had no car since January. But can’t afford to replace due to all utilities going up and the rest. Keep at it if the car is worth a bit. We buy any car said £1700. Hope you get it resolved.

I have now replaced all sensors, checked wire harness wire for wire new ecu, ignition k locks, barrel, relays coils, plugs, alternator, battery, Starter motor. all fuses. Starts for 30 sec then dies. any ideas. I have check fuel pump is working but I have no throttle control. starts ideal rough, but found the new coil on number 2 is not working. will buy another one tomorrow, bur how do I fix the throttle.
Please I'm dispirit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J
That’s what I was told it starts & cuts out . So that’s why the garage is putting in another PS motor. I don’t have that much knowledge at all, about cars but on this forum there are some fantastic mechanics with a lot of knowledge. The garage say the found the fault after having a diagnostics. Maybe try that if you haven’t already.
Hope you get the car up and running.