Super Turbo info?

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi all,

i would like to know more about the super turbo and how it switches between chargers.

does anyone have / know where i can info on how the setup works and all the systems involved?

thanks ppl

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I'm writing an article on this. It won't be ready for a short while yet as its grown more than expected, but it will explain all of this..

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
nice one Ed :)

just two questions :)

is it a magic box that controls the chargers? and is it only ever one charger running or can both be running?

thanks mate :)

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
from what ed told me a while back and IIRC the super charger runs up first and then the turbo takes over for the rest of the rev range so only one runs at a time, its all controlled by the onboard ECU :)

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Speedle said:
from what ed told me a while back and IIRC the super charger runs up first and then the turbo takes over for the rest of the rev range so only one runs at a time, its all controlled by the onboard ECU :)

Yeah thats what i was told aswell :)

Ian

Ex. Club Member
if both were running, would that just SWEAR EVADING IS NOT TOLERATED - AGAIN all the flow up? Or would it put a load of boost through into the engine? :s

Ian

Ex. Club Member
hmm, what i said was not swear evasion really... plus im pretty sure it was the first time i did it, and how many kids browse this forum?

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
Ian said:
hmm, what i said was not swear evasion really... plus im pretty sure it was the first time i did it, and how many kids browse this forum?

dont go there mate! we had this convo many times and the rules state this is a family forum ;) dont want ya getting in trouble

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
so if the chargers switch then wouldn't you need two dump valves? when the system switches to the TC the charged air from the SC would have to be dumped and then the clutch on the SC disengaged so that it doesn't recharge and it doesn't drag the engine. then after you change gear the TC would dump its charged air and the process begins again...

also if the charger switch is working by messuring the pressure of the TC so it knows when to change then wont the TC pressure drop when the switch opens the vent for the TC and then the SC pressure would increase because it's vent is closed so the charger switch would decide to switch back because the TC pressure is lower than the TC???

Could a mecanical system be used where the TC spools up until the pressure is strong enough to overcome a spring valve which would also disengage the SC clutch?

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
I was having a little think aboutit you will only need 1 dump valve, as close to thethrottlebody as possible and the air would be switched between the two by just closing the valve to the inlet of the supercharger

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
Craig said:
I was having a little think aboutit you will only need 1 dump valve, as close to thethrottlebody as possible and the air would be switched between the two by just closing the valve to the inlet of the supercharger

yea but then you will get a massive pressure build up by closing off the SC you would have to dump the air as you close it off or you will damage the valve and possibly the SC

solarice

Ex. Club Member
at a guess, have the sc disconnect once the turbo has spooled up and bleed of any boost left over in the sc system as the turbo will now be available to make up the difference plus whatever extra its ready to provide.

In theory i dont think its to hard to setup, but we all know in practice its a very different story :)

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
No this is not needed this way at all. Rethink it into one system dont treat them as two! If it helps to some searching for the Lancia Delta S4. That and the March ST are very similar, in overall design, although the ST is much more refined.

Ed

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
So in essence the SC compresses air that then goes through the turbo?
How is air diverted away from the SC at higher RPM though?

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
Ed said:
No this is not needed this way at all. Rethink it into one system dont treat them as two! If it helps to some searching for the Lancia Delta S4. That and the March ST are very similar, in overall design, although the ST is much more refined.

Ed

thanks Ed :) will be looking forward to that ST write up ;)

don't you have to keep the system seperate systems? you wouldn't what both chargers forcing air into the same pipe just in case they force against each other... and even if you did shut off the SC you would still need to dump the charged air no matter what happens. unless the SC is weak and doesn't need to be dumped.

what about the manifold is that run infront of the SC or to the side of it?

and the Altinator, is that above or below the SC? and is it on the same belt or a seperate one....

OHHHH so many questions :D it would probably be easier for me to buy one lol

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Incorrect you most definately DO want them both working in the same system and pipe work :) as I said be patient im not going to write it all twice lol. Turbo comes first as well... THEN the supercharger. Its without doubt the best way to do it as I shall show later :)

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
Ed said:
Incorrect you most definately DO want them both working in the same system and pipe work :) as I said be patient im not going to write it all twice lol. Turbo comes first as well... THEN the supercharger. Its without doubt the best way to do it as I shall show later :)

ok fair enough ED i'll wait but you better have a load of pics too ;)

U DA Man :D

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
pietro said:
Ed any luck on this article? Would be great to read!

yea Ed :p

don't make me go to Japan and buy an ST just to find out how it works lol,

R

RIK

i keep looking in this thread to find eds article but really to find you lot still asking for it..he said wait :)

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Knowing Ed, he'l just deliberatly take longer the more you ask so be patient! lol

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Your looking at a week or so at best, before I have done this.

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
Ed said:
Your looking at a week or so at best, before I have done this.

lol ok you have one week and after that.... we take the ST!!! lol

actually is there a manual for the ST? or a haynes cos that would be really interesting to look at :)

Type-R

Ex. Club Member
I agree your trying to seperate the two the system in one. There is the SC n the TC both working togheter to force in more air. They share the same air induction pipe as both are blowing air in.

The SC keeps on spinning up from the engine pulley for power throughout the rev range. and the TC just spools up once the required speed has been reached to make it spin.

A k11 can be ST'd if you want but you will defo hAve to upgrade internals. There would be way to much power and it just go bang. Thought about this but didnt have enough funds to pay for strenghetening.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Those pics are of my other black st hehehe :) thats the guy who I imported it from. The article will be ready when its ready! I have lots of things I'm working on at the mo.

Ed

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Too right, im doing it in my free time which I dont have alot of at the moment.

R

RIK

are we there yet?........how long now?........

are we there yet?

forget about it ffs,Ed will tell you when its done!

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
umm i do intend to finish it i may dig it out and start again on it soon.

Baz

Ex. Club Member
I understand how it all works on the st because I owned one for the last 2 years, but don't have the proper english to explain lol.

The two dumpvalve post is nonsense as the two "chargers blow into one pipe before the throttle body, the st has a bypass valve to sort this out and I find this the best setup as there seems to be less lag without it,so I don't run a dump valve, but still get the standard "dumping" sounds coming through the intake ans the wastegate chatter at low revs,

But here's a sneak peak

Attachments

• MARCH20ST20CHARGE.jpg
    MARCH20ST20CHARGE.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 414