The HNR32 is gone... Supercharged K11 is on!

micracharge

Now with added V6...
UPS are delivering my Supercharger tomorrow and this afternoon I parted with my HNR32 Skyline. Project MicraCharge is on!

Just need to find a tidy local Micra to buy as the base, this week off work should help that little cause :k11motors

ollie240585 said:
Are you aiming for a 1, 1.3 or 1.4l K11??

I am going to purchase the most basic 1.0 model I can, and I already have a CG13 and gearbox from a SuperS to use as the charged engine :) Once its built, in it goes :)

if i remember right i heard this SC spools the wrong direction to the drive of the engine , so it will spin in reverse i think ... jus case u didn know.

so y go from skyline to micra?-lol

pepper

K11SS said:
if i remember right i heard this SC spools the wrong direction to the drive of the engine , so it will spin in reverse i think ... jus case u didn know.

so y go from skyline to micra?-lol

pepper

Yeah, a few people say it turns the wrong way, I have a plan to take care of that aspect, once I have the charger I will have a better idea if it will work. Infact, I have two possible solutions so hopefully one will come up trumps.

Skyline to Micra? Well, Skyline parts are too expensive, I have been working on them all day long for four years now and so I really want something different. Furthermore I promised myself a Micra a while back as they are just such basic good fun. And I like the idea of getting the Mini charger to work as so many people say it cant be done.

We shall see how it all pans out :)

micracharge said:
Thanks bud, I have the "It can't be done" Mini SuperCharger :grinning:
You shouldn't have any probs. I have a mini supercharger sitting in the garage, I could seen no problems fitting it to a K11 with minor alterations, (to exhaust) when measuring it up against one of the CG13 engines I have here.

I also don't understand why people seem to think they rotate in the wrong direction, as to me they look fine, Eatons specifications shows that with the drive facing you they turn clockwise - so does the K11. This is most certaintly the case since eaton chargers take the cool air in through the far port to the pully, and expel it out the side...

Ed

Ed said:
I also don't understand why people seem to think they rotate in the wrong direction, as to me they look fine, Eatons specifications shows that with the drive facing you they turn clockwise - so does the K11.

Ed - I must admit I couldnt work out why people were so Anti to this charger, I looked at the install on a stock new Mini Cooper and couldnt work out what the problem was meant to be, as it seemed to rotate the correct direction for a K11.

Glad I'm not the only one! My plan was to basically build a mounting bracket to position it in the same place as the air-con pump usually sits (lower front) This would incorporate the charger discharge pipework from the unit. Then modify a janspeed style exhaust on the required runners (ok so slightly altering the design of it) to clear the charger. I couldn't really see any real problems other than the owner had a change of heart and the project was abandoned for the time being. For what its worth I think it would go very well. Certainly you have plenty of experience with similar systems, and I think it would be a superb car to drive when completed.

That would be neat. The positioning on my plan was due to the fact I wanted to intercool it, however it does kind of hide it away a bit!!

im running a SC on safety map of 97bhp at the mo and getting it upped by thor soon and getting a printed out dyno run as well..

they did stage1 mapping and its been running well, now its time for stage2 map.

on stage1 i saw the car was underfeulin bigtime! and after upgrading for n14 injectors i noticed a big change also a FSE.. i decided not to install the walbro as i reckon the stock pump is fine for the power im pushing. but thor said that i should see around 115-120 bhp maybe 130 but that would be the most... SC's add around 45-50bhp to cars so it sounds about right,

Type-R said:
on stage1 i saw the car was underfeulin bigtime! and after upgrading for n14 injectors i noticed a big change also a FSE.. i decided not to install the walbro as i reckon the stock pump is fine for the power im pushing. but thor said that i should see around 115-120 bhp maybe 130 but that would be the most... SC's add around 45-50bhp to cars so it sounds about right,

Awesome - when you take it to Thor say hello to Peter for me! He's a nice guy. Good luck with your car Type-R, I hope it works out well :)

Now as my supercharger has arrived... lets now clarify the situation with the Mini Cooper Charger - (hence the post edit). The Mini cooper charger is a ROOTS type counter-rotation supercharger - in that when you look down its INLET tract the rotors turn away from each other - the compressed air divided by the two rotors runs down the outside of each rotor in turn and exits at the discharge port on the bottom. The air DOES NOT exit from the centre of the rotors as they come apart like a Lysholm/Twin-screw blower.

So basically, unless someone can explain different - the Mini supercharger DOES turn in the correct rotation for a K11. Yay!

To further avoid the risk of egg and face coming into contact, I taped up the inlet side of the charger and turned it the correct way for engine rotation (ie. Clockwise) the tape pulled inwards - I retaped and turned the opposite way - the tape blew outwards and came off. I know many people have said that this charger isnt suitable and despite this, thanks to my research today I am still sure it will work - however I would really like to know the source of the negative rumors - if there is one, as its liable to be someone that tried to make one work and couldnt...

As always - I am prepared to be wrong! :D

Type-R said:
im running a SC on safety map of 97bhp at the mo and getting it upped by thor soon and getting a printed out dyno run as well..

they did stage1 mapping and its been running well, now its time for stage2 map.

and thor didnt pick up on this?....im gonna see ed then..lol

micracharge said:
Awesome - when you take it to Thor say hello to Peter for me! He's a nice guy. Good luck with your car Type-R, I hope it works out well :)

Now as my supercharger has arrived... lets now clarify the situation with the Mini Cooper Charger - (hence the post edit). The Mini cooper charger is a ROOTS type counter-rotation supercharger - in that when you look down its INLET tract the rotors turn away from each other - the compressed air divided by the two rotors runs down the outside of each rotor in turn and exits at the discharge port on the bottom. The air DOES NOT exit from the centre of the rotors as they come apart like a Lysholm/Twin-screw blower.

So basically, unless someone can explain different - the Mini supercharger DOES turn in the correct rotation for a K11. Yay!

To further avoid the risk of egg and face coming into contact, I taped up the inlet side of the charger and turned it the correct way for engine rotation (ie. Clockwise) the tape pulled inwards - I retaped and turned the opposite way - the tape blew outwards and came off. I know many people have said that this charger isnt suitable and despite this, thanks to my research today I am still sure it will work - however I would really like to know the source of the negative rumors - if there is one, as its liable to be someone that tried to make one work and couldnt...

As always - I am prepared to be wrong! :D

very precise post and its great we got another tuner on board :D

wen i said it went wrong way i was only going by word of mouth but now i will say it turns correct way as your research, any pics of this project u are starting?

stephen

K11SS said:
very precise post and its great we got another tuner on board :D

wen i said it went wrong way i was only going by word of mouth but now i will say it turns correct way as your research, any pics of this project u are starting?

stephen

I have heard a few people say the same so dont feel I am attacking you in any way - I can post a few pictures of the charger if anyone is interested, but the engine I havent picked up yet - its from one of the guys at work that pulled it from a K11 of his own when he fitted an SR20 from a Primera - its just a plain old CG13 from a SuperS, I will collect it from him in a few weeks - now I have garage space to rebuild it!

I am having a seriously hard time finding a car locally to use as the project basis - and having just sold my Skyline I have no transport to go look at Micras further away! Rather silly of me really!

Still, I have the main components of the project, namely the engine (which I will pick up soon), the charger, DTA engine management (may or may not use yet - undecided), a reserve of useable funds to get the machine shop to make up parts as I need them to engineer the charger onto the engine.

I will start a section on my website in a few weeks when I have enough content to make it worthwhile. Will keep you's all posted :)

K11SS said:
i do not feel attacked im more enlightened :) pics will be good too thanks

Pics of the Charger AND the Micra SR I just bought (yay!) will be up hopefully this coming weekend, I have to make a fair journey to pick the car up, but hey hum, thats what trains are for.

Found a Peridot Green 1997 SR, not what I planned on (was going to use a base model), but atleast it'll give me a spare CG13 once the charger motor is in :)

You got an SR? Around here? Goodness me you're lucky! Best of luck with the conversion, and hopefully you'll enjoy the benefits of SR ownership (sportier seats, green backed dials, rev counter, leccy windows and of course the airbag ;))

James.

James said:
You got an SR? Around here? Goodness me you're lucky! Best of luck with the conversion, and hopefully you'll enjoy the benefits of SR ownership (sportier seats, green backed dials, rev counter, leccy windows and of course the airbag ;))

Thanks for your comments James, I have indeed got an SR! However... Its in Leeds! So I have a big ol' journey on the train to go get it, and then a 240 mile baptism-of-fire return journey! It looks a clean car and checks out ok with HPI, so thats all cool with me. Should be up for a Southern MSC meet soon!

Reminds me, I will join up once I pick the car up :D

micracharge said:
I taped up the inlet side of the charger and turned it the correct way for engine rotation (ie. Clockwise) the tape pulled inwards - I retaped and turned the opposite way - the tape blew outwards and came off.

Thats exactly what I did, except I spun the charger with my hand over the inlet. Even this was not really necessary since Eatons specifications say its correct anyway!

Ed said:
Thats exactly what I did, except I spun the charger with my hand over the inlet. Even this was not really necessary since Eatons specifications say its correct anyway!

And there is a picture on their site indicating its rotation direction and the path of the air down the sides of the rotors as opposed to through the centre.

All the confusion has definately come from people thinking the Mini charger is a Lysholm/Twin-Screw type. While it does have two "thingies" that could be termed screws, they are infact of a very different design and are only mildly helixed rotors to enhance the original Roots design (which dates back to 1860 when patented by Philander and Francis Roots), to the layman they look the same, but work very differently.

Beginning to wonder if I should write an article about superchargers for the MSC magazine! :D

If you have the time feel free!

I refer to these type of positive displacment chargers as twisted vane superchargers, thats how I have seen them refered to most. The March ST has the traditional roots type of design, they are incredibly noisy when the stock air box is removed, I would quite like to replace the stock ST one with a mini one, however there is simply no room.

I would be surprised if that is where the rumour came from, I think its more likely somone once looked and simply didnt know what they were doing, and as always happens the rumour simply travels about like fact. :)

micra_pete said:
the only problem i can see with the cooper sc, is its bloody big.

Granted - its a fair old lump of metal thats for sure - I have a couple of plans, hopefully one of them will work! :D

good to see more competition appearing...i was afriad all of the "big jobs" were being dropped in favour of car upgrades. :) will keep checking this with interest...

This will be a project to follow with eager eyes, although I'll never be able to do this sort of job it fascinates me. Keep us up to date Dan (Y)

Hope the Skyline's gone to a good home.
James.

Just to keep this thread up to date, as you can all see from my avatar I found a K11, not what I had planned as I intended to modify a base model, but with all the drivetrain differences between CG10 and CG13 it seemed easier to start with a CG13 car. Purchased a '97 SR on eBay, Peridot green, no PAS or ABS (which I am glad about for the extra under-bonnet space), fairly recent front cross-member replacement been done to it, I am only the second owner and the car seems very genuine, 76k, layyydeee owner etc, so thats the victim car taken care of!

Charger plans are looking good - not going to perhaps go in the place I intended to start with, but I do have an excellent reserve plan that looks like it should work out - just bought some lighting on eBay so I can rig my garage up and work in the evenings on the coming chill winter nights. I have to try and find time in the coming weekends (next two or three) to go and collect my spare CG13 which I can use to jig the charger up.

More updates as and when I have some more progress :)

Back