Worn suspension parts

Hi,

I've had my suspension off today. I'm thinking the top mount (bottom right hand in photo), bush (golf ball shaped thing) and rubber seat (top left) need to replaced. Do I get these things from Nissan? Should I replace the whole lot anyway as a matter of course? The reason I've had this all off is that I'm getting a knock noise that I can also feel through the steering from my front suspension when I go over pot holes and rough bits of road. There's also a rubber bush at the back of the lower suspension arm which looks a bit perished. I'll replace that, could that cause this noise/feeling?

micra_suspension.JPG

Cheers,

Daniel

frank

Club Member
hi daniel, the small white part is the thrust bearing and it looks ok to me, a knocking noise over rough surfaces is usually the lower balljoint in the wishbone

It's dark now so my camera isn't working in this light very well. I've taken a picture with my phone of the lower ball joint.

micra_balljoint.jpg

You can't quite see it in the phone but there is a little cracking in the rubber at the.....fattest(?) bit of the ball.

frank

Club Member
the bottom balljoint is out of shot daniel, and play is hard to detect when jacked up (the mot man uses a lever and slideplate while the car is lowered)
attachment.php

Attachments

• micra_balljoint.jpg
    micra_balljoint.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,813
the bottom balljoint is out of shot daniel, and play is hard to detect when jacked up (the mot man uses a lever and slideplate while the car is lowered)

Ah, yes. Okay I'll have a look at the real lower ball joint at the bottom of the knuckle in the morning when the light is better. I have a Trakrite so could use that as a sliding plate to replicate the test that is performed in the MOT. Cheers for your help.

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
the knocking noise is probably coming from the spring coming in contact with the top cup as 1/2 the rubber ring is missing.

Ball joints seem to be okay - no cracked rubber/leaks.

For the lower rebound bush (golf ball shaped thing) and rubber seat (top left) Nissan are asking £40 per side. Is this a good price? It seems a tad bit expensive. Can I buy these elsewhere? I've tried 1 local motor factors here in Cambridge but no joy. Are pattern parts available? Has anyone else replaced these recently?

Cheers,

Daniel