Water Leak

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've been on here, so I hope everyone is well, and their Micra's still running strong.

Mine is a little down in the dumps, despite the nice weather she's sprung a leak right next to the water pump, water drips out of here at a fair rate now.

Does anyone know how this is repaired?

Thank you

Errr, can't find the edit button?

To add a little more detail... its certainly dripping right out of the joint where the metal inlet pipe joins to the engine itself. I don't know how this metal pipe is fitted however? Probably not a screw fit, but that'd be nice, thought I'd ask on here before it all gets messy All the rubber hoses etc are fine.

Thanks again

would it be possible for pictures?
i had a water pump leak last year and after a cowboy "fixed it" broke down on the m25 :(
but that was just a faulty water pump.
good luck! (Y)

well i had it done twice and watched the second time jacked up the engine for space, took cam cover off and the water pump looked like it just unbolted.
good luck (Y)

ive had the exact same trouble before, the metal pipe that runs accross the front of the engine just pushes into the hole in the engine, and is sealed with a rubber o-ring, and 20 years almost of, hot and cold and hot and hold, makes them go bad and leak.

take the front engine mount off, wiggle the metal pipe and pull it so it comes out, take the old o ring off, clean up the hole and the end of the pipe, get a new o-ring, (iirc 27mm and as thick as you can get it) put the o-ring in, i alyays put blue hylomar on the end also, fit it back in, replace engine mount, fill up with water/antifreeze, job done.

be aware you will loose alot of water from the system, so get something to catch it in, and remember to replace it afterwards.

superls

ah i juts been out to the car i know what you guys are on a bout now! should of taken a picture for threads sake...

Well I made a good start!! Thanks for the tips, engine mount needs to be removed indeed, and then pulls off easily. The O-ring on there looks pretty hard and worn out (not terrible though...) so I went to the shops to try to get another.

Could only get a 26.5mm which seemed too big, and when I tried to fit it, it wouldn't go in the hole and I ended up breaking it.

Have ordered *the* O-ring from Nissan now so hopefully on Monday I can do the job!!

Thanks for your help so far, also that sealant seems really good stuff (horrible to get on your fingers though!)

Well I made a good start!! Thanks for the tips, engine mount needs to be removed indeed, and then pulls off easily. The O-ring on there looks pretty hard and worn out (not terrible though...) so I went to the shops to try to get another.

Could only get a 26.5mm which seemed too big, and when I tried to fit it, it wouldn't go in the hole and I ended up breaking it.

Have ordered *the* O-ring from Nissan now so hopefully on Monday I can do the job!!

Thanks for your help so far, also that sealant seems really good stuff (horrible to get on your fingers though!)

I have an O ring here, wish i had seen this earlier!

Back