speedo 2005 S broken

hi guys, i have recently just bought a 2005 S k12?, the speedo does not work, can any very helpful person tell me, if this one speedo's that is mounted into the engine? and where i can locate it? also the wipers are not working i have changed the motor,.but to no avail. this is my first car and i bought it so i could ease my way into some simple mechanics, on a hopefully simple motor.
thanks in advance.
k12virgin.

Hi k12virgin

Have you checked your windscreen wiper fuse should be a 20A number 38 should be in the engine bay. Im assuming its your front wipers as you said wipers . Usually if these dont work its either the motor or the linkage is seized. If its the linkage they usually come to about £30.

Theres no speed sensor, the abs control unit contains the ECU and the micra uses wheel sensors to each wheel to determine the speed.

Its located at the rear of the engine compartment on the passengers side, if you take the plastic cowl trim off you might have better access to it.

To check the wheel sensors you need a digital voltmeter to the disconnected wheel sensor,
On the front wheel it should be near the brake caliper and on the back wheel behind brake drum.

To do this turn ignition on
Check battery voltage at one of the terminals of the supply connector.
Reconnect sensor and backprobe the signal wire.
Spin the wheel check yhe output voltage is between 0.9 and 1.65 volts.

N.B . Any renewal of front wheel sensor will also require new wheel bearing as this contains magnetic ring that induces the sensors output.

The rear pick up ring is a press fit on the rear hub. Do not remove it if necessary.

Hope this helps

Hi k12virgin

Have you checked your windscreen wiper fuse should be a 20A number 38 should be in the engine bay. Im assuming its your front wipers as you said wipers . Usually if these dont work its either the motor or the linkage is seized. If its the linkage they usually come to about £30.

Theres no speed sensor, the abs control unit contains the ECU and the micra uses wheel sensors to each wheel to determine the speed.

Its located at the rear of the engine compartment on the passengers side, if you take the plastic cowl trim off you might have better access to it.

To check the wheel sensors you need a digital voltmeter to the disconnected wheel sensor,
On the front wheel it should be near the brake caliper and on the back wheel behind brake drum.

To do this turn ignition on
Check battery voltage at one of the terminals of the supply connector.
Reconnect sensor and backprobe the signal wire.
Spin the wheel check yhe output voltage is between 0.9 and 1.65 volts.

N.B . Any renewal of front wheel sensor will also require new wheel bearing as this contains magnetic ring that induces the sensors output.

The rear pick up ring is a press fit on the rear hub. Do not remove it if necessary.

Hope this helps

HI, EK10, thanks for your reply, i will have a look at the fuse the old linkage on the windscreen wipers was broken so i changed it, the motor was working up to the point i changed the linkage, so maybe its the fuse blown. i'll change it and let you know the verdict.
The speedo sounds like a real hassle, and im not that fussed about that, as i can use a prat nav as a speedo. how difficult is it to change the wheel bearings?
ATB K12.

Hi k12virgin

No problem is the wiper now working?

You ll need a balljoint separator tools to remove the track rod end from the swival hub ( bearing inside the hub) ,

The brake caliper has to come off and the driveshaft splined end from the hub , nuts removed from base off suspension strut. Be careful pulling the hub from the splined end of the driveshaft, you dont wanna bend the driveshaft end.

You need a press and a puller as the hub is removed or a hammer and sockets if you wanna attempt .. Id personally buy a bearing and drop it in a garage usually reasonable enough price unless you wanna attempt yourself i can tell you how.

Back