Sill drain holes

adamgamsa

Buy & Sell Member
I've read about the dreaded sunroof drain pipe problems. I've found some sill drain holes and they appear to be clear when I stick a feeler gauge up there and wiggle it around. There appear to be three on each side (one about in the middle and two forward of it, closer to the front mudguard). Are there any more? I'm a little surprised that there are none backwards of centre, but perhaps the sills slope forward so water wouldn't collect at the back?

I'm thinking of drilling some drain holes towards the back of the sills just to be sure. Is this a good or bad idea?

Thanks! I love this site already - so many interesting threads.

frank

Club Member
the sills really only go at the back adam, and gaining access to check them is very easy (behind the rear 1/4 trim panels)

pollyp

Club Member
extra holes at the back sills help, maybe wax coat inside the sills too but rerouting the sunroof drain pipes straight out is even better

1019f.jpg
1020k.jpg

OP
OP
A

adamgamsa

Buy & Sell Member
Thanks a lot!

Thank you very much for the replies, guys. I'll see if I can get into the sills from the back. I like the idea of re-routing the drain. I see you can get to it near the pedals. Have you then run a pipe all the way along the sill and have it exiting at the rear or is this pipe coming through the sills at the front?

pollyp

Club Member
just jack the back up n drill a hole from under the sill

i took the front wing off, drilled a hole under the front sill & the same spot on the wing and extended the drain pipe straight down with a clear pvc pipe

OP
OP
A

adamgamsa

Buy & Sell Member
Great. Where does the passenger side drain run? Are these the only two silly drains into the sills? Thanks again guys.