Reduced engine power when wet

X

xyberlink

Hi,

I've had a 1996 Micra Vibe (1.0) for nearly 2 years.

In dry conditions it's great - performs well (for a micra!) with plenty of pull in all gears.

However, in wet conditions (most pronounced when very wet), there is a distinct lack of engine power. It still goes and get's from A to B but there just isn't the pull that's there when conditions are dry.

It always starts ok (well so far so good). At it's last service it had new oil, spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue may be? Could it be a sensor or HT leads?

Cheers.

Paul.

It's not a hugely powerfulk engine so it could be the extra drag of pushing the car along a wet road

i'm experiencing it too..
i'm guessing it should be the "drag" from the tyres.

Interesting point about the tyre resistance - hadn't considered that. I think there's more to it though - other cars don't behave like this when wet. It's quite a noticeable difference.

I agree it's easy to spin the wheels when wet.

Nope - car is 100% standard (except head unit).

Brand new Vredestein Quatrac 2 all season tyres on the rear.
Firestone on one front wheel and can't remember the other.

hmm no idea really then sorry, the 1.0 ltr i had was faster in the dry cos i kept spinning the wheels in the wet :D

however i had different tyre brands (all crap) on each wheel as well.

hopefully someone else will know :)

Could be the leads..... power leaking when they are a bit wet/damp. I've had this problem with my K10.
I got some water repellent spray at hte local carparts shop, to spray on the leads and connectors, and the problem went away.

Hope this helps.

Think I'll get some new HT leads and see how that goes - I'll let you know what happens. Probably wont rain for the next 3 months.

Back