Rattling noise near boot

Hi everyone,

I've got a rattling noise coming from my boot which is really starting to get on my nerves. I don't have a parcel shelf so I know that it wont be that! Sometimes it can be an odd click of metal now and then, sometimes it can be a constant rattle. I've jammed sponges where ever there is wires and leads. The noise is coming from the rear passenger side.

I've heard i can be the metal plate on the back of the boot.

Anyone know what I can do?

Is it definitely coming from within the cabin? The metal plate in the boot rattles a lot so I'd start there

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

check for:
boot rubber stopper too loose or boot latch too high/slack,
rivet holding boot latch hook on the mounting plate is worn loose,
foam lining around the boot inner cover plate is loose or rubbing under vibration,
worn rear swaybar drop links,
broken rear spring,
loose handbrake outer cable mount clamp,
loose exhaust shields near fuel tank thats rusted off and touching,
stone trapped in a cavity,
loose rear caliper

It's definitely coming from inside the cabin. I put some rolled up gaffer tape behind the metal plate and it seemed to make it worse! I assume it must be that. I have noticed there is a grey plastic cover on the metal plate which is on the side where the noise is coming from. Does anyone have any ideas as to what thats for?

I stopped the boot cover plate from rattling using draught seal.

My other rattle was the boot lock. I wrapped tape around the metal where the latch grabs.

It's held on by little plastic plugs that push in. They unscrew a little with a Phillips just enough for you to grab them and pull out. Then unscrew the plastic inner boot handle with the single screw.

Just driven home from work and I'm pleased to report that all is well. The rattling has completely gone! I just hope it stays that way! Many tthanks to all! I'm going to keep the metal plate off for now as I cant really see any good purpose for it to be on.

Back