questions about replacing headgasket on 86 nissan micra

hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I was just given a 86 nissan micra which has a blown headgasket and im looking for step by step instructions on how to replace the headgasket.

i have been working on cars for a few years now but this will be the first time I have taken apart an engine.

so far I have drained the coolant and oil, removed the valve cover, air filter and exhaust manifold. I know I still have to remove the intake.

but after that im kinda stuck as I want to do this right the first time It would be great if someone could point me in the direction on some instructions.

thanks

Hi

headgaskets on the K10 micra engines are very simple, a haynes manual from halfords will tell you in detail how to do it, but basically

remove the intake
put a crate or big block of wood under the sump and remove the engine mount by the cam belt (small fingers needed)
remove the plastic cam belt cover
slacken the cam tensioner
take the cam belt off the cam wheel or off all together is better
remove the cam rockers with the three pins under the valve cover
remove the gear that you see at the back of the cam on the right with the two pins (there is a head bolt under this)
remove all the head bolts (i did this working from the outside ones inwards but i dont know if i matters (?)
quick tap with a nylon mallet and the head should come right off.

hope that helps ;)

the problem is im in Canada and for some reason haynes doesnt make a manaul over here and it will take a couple weeks to ship one..

does anyknow know if there is somewhere i can get a pdf file or something along those lines?

would u be able to give me specific instructions on put everything back together?

thanks

awesome that helps so much thank you.

I just have a couple questions:

do i need to remove the vibration damper? i cant seem to remove the lower cover because the bolt gets stuck on the damper

do i have to touch the actual valves or springs?

can i reuse the head bolts?

thanks

i guess the pulley needs to come off to fit the new belt james.
i would push the exhaust valves open to check the seats, personally
and i always reuse headbolts :grinning:

also do i need to remove or even touch the distributor?

if you mark up the relationship of the distributor with the head so that if it does get knocked then its easy to re-time The engine mount on the engine block side needs to be removed to allow the cam plastic cover to come off, you need a small ratchet and socket, there are 3 bolts holding it in ;)

Hey so I finally found the time and pulled off the Head today and I have a couple questions.

before I can put everything back together what should I be checking? I know the surface where the head gasket sits and the head need to be clean.

Do i need to bring th head to a machince shop for anything? is it recomended?

Also ONce I pulled off the head I noticed that my number 1 cylinder and number 4 cylinder are up and the 2nd and 3rd are all the way down? does that mean I have a bottem end problem with one of the cylinders?

can I adjust the cylinders so I am TDC with the head off? what configuration should the cylinders be when I am TDC?

anything else that you think might be helpful would be great.

Thanks

James

tdc is when #1 piston is at the top james (and #4) and #2 and 3 will be at the bottom like you described
can you post up a pic of both sides of the gasket ?

Hi J,

or to describe this another way, pistons 1&4 move up and down together in their ccylinders......2&3 also move op and down together in their cylinders......

BUT the 1&2 pair of pistons are 180 degrees out of phase with the 2&3 pistons........this is normal for the MA engines....because of the shape/design of the crank etc.......

in the meantime...check out this video.......it shows you how everything is moving right inside of a typical 4-cylinder engine.....just like yours

....Bottom end problems come in two main varieties:

1: worn
2: completely smashed

for 1:...its unlikely that you will be able to see this with your naked eye.....

for 2:....the chances are that: 1&4 pistons will be at the same height in their cylinders......and/or 2&3 will be at the same height in their cylinders too....

keep at it....take your time...and you will succeed :)

here's the vid.....
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/169152/deutz_engine/

:)

Hey Everyone,

My headgasket job had get put on hold as I had to go out of town for two weeks for work. the micra has been sitting with the head off in my driveway for the last two weeks..i put the hood back on but its just been sitting..

Ive noticed a bit of surface rust showing up in the cylinders, but i can rub it away with my hand. and there is a fair bit of a black crud on the tops of the pistions..

before I put the head back on should i be cleaning the pistons and cylinders?? how do i go about doing that?

Is t here anything i should be checking before I put the head back on to make sure everything will work fine once back together?

THanks

leave the black crud on the pistons....if it is disturbed then the full cleaning process can be a pain...and risks getting contamination down the small gap between the piston crown and the cyclinder walls.

before you try removing any rust...smear some clean grease around the aforementioned gap ...the grease will catch any falling bits....than you can carefullt wipe the surplus grease clean before refitting the head

use a greasy rag to remove rusty bits

spend a lot of time making sure that the mating surface of the block and cycinder head are free from any stuck on bits of old crud/gasket......I use a thin smear of paint stripper and a brand new razor blade...taking care not to put the slightest of scratches in the surfaces....wipe clean with a greasy cloth as you go

:)

dont rush to get the head back on.....post pics and re check before you go for it :)

ok thanks for the advice.

should i rotate the pistons to clean all the clyinder walls? or should i just clean the 2nd and 3rd cylinders as they are down because I am top dead center???

Back