• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Project Sneak

good work mate, focusing on the important things first I like it (Y)

No point in modding it if i can't drive it on the road :(.

Got a few little ideas for when its on the road, although nothing much as it will be used for my fiance to learn in. Although i need something to thrash about a bit, just not possible in a 1.5 diesel euro box 4.5k redline:( traction control:( understeer control:( ABS:( more warming beeps than you can poke a stick at:(. good for the commute, nice and safe, quite and comfortable, just so bland!!

need to get this sorted ASAP!

Popped round to my parents at lunch and put the drive shaft back together with new gaiter and grease.

IMG00079-20111208-1240.jpg

IMG00080-20111208-1241.jpg

2 out of 3 MOT failures now fixed!! just the hole in the floor remains!!

Oh yeah and the clutch so i can drive it:p

Help Needed!!!

I think i have got all the bolts out of the gearbox, engine mounts etc but it doesn't seem to want to separate!

Do i just need to be more forceful? are there any good tips for breaking the seal/removing the box from the engine?

There is one very hidden bolt in the top of the gearbox its hard to find, its nearer the back but on top hidden right under some coolant pipes, if you've got them all out then it will need some force i used a pry bar and alot of body weight to seperate mine.

There is one very hidden bolt in the top of the gearbox its hard to find, its nearer the back but on top hidden right under some coolant pipes, if you've got them all out then it will need some force i used a pry bar and alot of body weight to seperate mine.

Nice one, yeah i thought i had them all at first but that one was hiding lol they are all out i'm sure.

The only two probs ive had are:

1, the front n/s engine mount i couldn't undo the three bolts holding the bracket to the front of the box, so i just had to remove the long one through the top of the mount, will this be ok/give me enough room to remove the box.

2, the front bar to the crank case bolt has sheered off so i will need to drill it out and re-tap (unless its ok without:()

got the day off on monday so hope to get it all done then!

Front bar? As in front engine mount? That doesn't need to be undone to remove the gearbox, now all you should need is some leverage. I'm assuming you have the driveshafts out of the hubs?

Front bar? As in front engine mount? That doesn't need to be undone to remove the gearbox, now all you should need is some leverage. I'm assuming you have the driveshafts out of the hubs?

There are two small twisted flat bar one front and one rear running from the crank case to the box. It's the one at the front if the engine that snapped! D'oh!

Will get the pry bar on it on Monday and get the clutch changed!

Cheers

Nearly all put back together now, just need to fill the gearbox up with oil and we should be away (well up and down the drive to test and adjust the clutch lol)

Oh yeah but first buy gearbox oil!! any suggestions on cheap places?

Next time i'll be doing work on Sneak is Sunday so hopefully it will be moving around again under its own power, Yay!! I will then be preping the hole in the rear floor for welding. Found a local guy to do it for £5!! then MOT.

I know this has taken so long, but the car is not at home and i only get about 3 hours a week on it doing all the work myself.

Should be put into use teaching my Fiancee to drive by March!!

Thought i would just post up a couple of pics of the removed clutch release bearing, i think it tell me why the clutch wasn't working properly!!

photo-37.jpg

The top lug has snapped! i believe that it was the original friction plate, pressure plate and release bearing as all are stamped up NISSAN and LUK. not bad to get 115,000 miles out of it!

photo-38.jpg

On this pic you can see where the lug as been rubbing against the pressure plate splines and worn it down!:doh:

photo-39.jpg

Woop got the time to do some more work tonight, hopefully she'll be back moving around under her own power again.

Just hope that i've tightened everything up properly :doh:

Just one last thing do i need to re-fit this piece highlighted? as the bottom brackets are pretty rusty and it would be time saved if i didn't bother! from what i can tell its just a bit of a weather shield for the alternator etc!

photo-22-1.jpg

left mine off years ago, isn't important. think its mainly to help encourage airflow to flow through the rad

Wooooooooooohoooooooooooo it's alive alive I tell thee!!!

Sooty just a bit excited put it all back together fired first time and drives well, so nice having a clutch lol. Nearly there now!!

Plus had to change my sisters o/s headlight build on her ka. Wheel off arch liner out job only took ten mins though. Easier than ####ing about in the bay!!

left mine off years ago, isn't important. think its mainly to help encourage airflow to flow through the rad

Yeah decided to leave it off. Weight loss FTW.

What have you done with your arch liners and splash guards? Tempted to leave mine off as they are s bit of a jigsaw and most clips are broken!!

What do i do today?

photo-40.jpg

An interesting advisory, passenger seat missing at time of test

photo-41.jpg

Well pretty much the entire interior was missing, the MOT guy had to search through the computer to see how to test it? guessing he hasn't had many rally cars in?!!

So happy :p, didn't have time to get tax though as the test finished after 5 so when its got tax tomorrow I'm going to take it out for a good shakedown and re-adjust the clutch and get the interior all back in.

Taxed and back on the road, just took her for a 10 mile blast at lunch. first car i have driven any distance completley stripped. really nice to be driving a petrol again she seemed pretty willing upto 60mph. It would defo need to have a nice sounding exhaust or intake otherwise it just droans of road noise with no interior.

Really enjoyed the little blast though. Couple of things i need to sort out, 1-get the interior back in, 2-adjust the clutch again after initial wearing and finally 3-does anyone have any suggestions for moving the seat further back? i'm 6'4" and i would just like the steering wheel to be that bit further away.

Cheers

Matt

Well 60 miles in and no dramas! she just keeps getting better and better, apart from the potential need for a new clutch cable(should have changed it while doing the clutch but couldn't aford it at the time!) and cheapo arrowspeed tyres, plenty of tread don't think i could ever wear them out, such a hard compound, way to hard for these temperatures.

To Do List.
  1. New bulbs in dash (only one working at present), what are peoples opinions on LED dash bulbs? Or fit my spare with rev counter.
  2. Re-fit arch liners.
  3. Brush on waxoil underside and arches.
  4. Tart up wheels (just silver i think for now)
  5. Grommet for rear wiper, or re-fit rear wiper motor and get a new arm from scrappy.
  6. Spare tyre required.
  7. In car tool kit (just in case), spare bulbs, cable ties, gaffer tape, spanners etc.
  8. New tyres (decent brand).
  9. New steering wheel or glue fix existing one (to stop the grip rotating)
  10. Tighten hand break slightly
Think thats about everything, mainly cosmetic type stuff and will probably take a while to get round to, but it will all get done.

Matt

Small update, Sneak hasn't been used too much but just done over 120 miles since the new MOT.

To Do List.
  1. New bulbs in dash (only one working at present), what are peoples opinions on LED dash bulbs? Or fit my spare with rev counter.
  2. Re-fit arch liners. THIS WEEKEND
  3. Brush on waxoil underside and arches.
  4. Tart up wheels (just silver i think for now)
  5. Grommet for rear wiper, or re-fit rear wiper motor and get a new arm from scrappy.
  6. Spare tyre required.
  7. In car tool kit (just in case), spare bulbs, cable ties, gaffer tape, spanners etc.
  8. New tyres (decent brand).
  9. New steering wheel or glue fix existing one (to stop the grip rotating)
  10. Tighten hand break slightly
  11. Fit a new clutch cable. THIS WEEKEND
  12. Maybe a new rear engine mount????
  13. New spare key
  14. Remove NATS chip and attach to barrel THIS WEEKEND
Then lend it to my mate while i asses her **** heap of a VW Polo, probs gonna suggest selling for spares or repairs. £250 quid ish, still has 6 months MOT and tax. It needs:
  • 2 new front wheel bearings
  • exhaust centre section
  • engine management light on all the time
  • this week the brake warning light has come on and is beeping
its done 108k and generally not been cared for one jot.
i'll let you know how i get on.

It's been a long time coming, but, i finally got round to installing my rev counter speedo. it works woop!!

I also took a look into my clutch issues and found that the lock nut on the adjuster had come loose so tightened it up and its a lot better now!

Really need to get some fasteners to re attach my n/s front arch liner, as when out in the heavy rain last week sneak got a little damp and cut out on me, fired back up and off we went but i think water must have got up to the dist/battery area after going through a couple of deep puddles.

Going to go out for a blast and top her up with some petrol now with the enjoyment of the rev counter.

Matt

Another amazing update!! i fitted a new fuel filter, cost £4.03 the price of the fuel that came out was more haha.

Hoping to get some fresh paint on the wheels soon to set it apart from all the other pizza delivery micras around near me, at last count there was 7 within 2 mins walk. not bad!

mahesket said:
Another amazing update!! i fitted a new fuel filter, cost £4.03 the price of the fuel that came out was more haha.

Hoping to get some fresh paint on the wheels soon to set it apart from all the other pizza delivery micras around near me, at last count there was 7 within 2 mins walk. not bad!

Ah fellow pizza delivery wagon. I salute you.

Back