Oil light never comes on (should it?)

Hi,

I recently passed my driving test and started driving my Micra K11 (great fun!).

I notice the oil warning light never comes on before I start the engine when the key is in the 'on' position and the handbrake/engine warning lights are on. Is this normal with this car or has the bulb blown?

I do not have an owners manual for this car and it does not seem to be mentioned in the haynes manual.

The only lights I get when I turn the key are (P) and (!), so perhaps the battery one is blown too!

Thank you

pollyp

Club Member
the oil and battery/alternator light should only be on when the engine's not moving with IGN on, indicating insufficient oil pressure and alternator voltage.
shortly after starting, the oil & alternator light should go out within 1/2-1sec.

check & replace blown bulbs

adamsricky

Club Member (Trial)
The only time my oil light ever came on was when I topped it up and forgot to put the cap back on oops..... Got home to a nicely oiled engine bay

OP
OP
Z
Got the bulbs sorted (they were blown!), thanks.
One last related question: I bought some LED dash lights for my speedo/heater controls/etc, how do I know which polarity to install them? Is there a trick to it or is it just a case of installing them and turning the lights on while the dash is hanging out?

OP
OP
Z
Just thought of something.
I'll check to see if the Haynes book has wiring diagrams for the plug in the dash, if it does I could use the multimeter (continuity test mode) to trace from the wire that goes live when the dash lights are on to the bulb holders, this would show me the polarity.

I was hoping there was a trick to make it easier though!

Thanks

OP
OP
Z
I know it was a bit silly for me to ask... :) As I said I was trying to cheat/save time/get it right first time. Oh well it will be worth the hassle once it is done!