Oil/Grease in CV

Just wondering if any of you guys have ever put oil in the drive cv joint instead of grease to cause less friction, i know this is not ideal if you are doing miles in the car and will need a lot more maintenace but just wondering what you guys think?

Thanks for looking

Gut response, they use grease for is thixotropic properties, so it performs much like an oil once moving, then returning back to its normal state. An oil is going to sit at the lowest point and rely on it being picked up as the joint turns, leaving areas exposed and the joint would need to be moisture proof as the oil would just run out.

Solid state lubrication ftw.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

yeah makes sense bud, not to sure how he does it but i know of one guy who does it with his mini at grassing, thought i would just put it to you knowledgeable guys :)

Ok bringing this back up, i should listen and pay more attention to what is being said in the first place and think a bit more logically.

Ok so its not oil in the cv but in the bearings themselves, they take the grease out and put in car oil to make the wheel spin more freely

Any thoughts

Ok due to weather i spent an hr or so having a look if this is possible with any noticeable effects.

I managed to get the bearings out cleaned everything up and put back in, i then poured oil in and around the bearings and knocked back together. The hub does now spins a lot more freely than before but when left on the bench for a while there was quite a bit of spillage and leakage, think if that got on the brake disc it would make things quite interesting.

Thinking now if it was actually on the car it would create a pool at the bottom that the bearings would spin into and not so much leak out

so oil on the bearings and pack the grease around keep it in? If i did keep with the oil idea i would buy the right bearing tools to make it easier tho

i aint done it,,,,,,,anything thinner than grease may fly out anyway,,just saying a few drops of oil may be different to loads of oil in their

With the amount of movement the cv joints go through, I think you could spend a lot of money for no measureable returns. I'd be looking elsewhere personaly. But tuning is always diminishing returns...

Cheers for the input guys will explore a little more, but the more i think of it i agree it will probably just fly out

Back