Nissan K12 1.2 200k km. High oil consumption. unstable idle. Second timing chain replacement?

Hi Micra gurus.

I have a question regarding my wife's 2004 Nissan Micra K12 1.2 with 200k KM. The car had its timing chain replaced at 100k. Radiator change at 170K
The car again had engine check light come on, is lower on power. Idle is bad at cold start and engine also cuts out when releasing throttle.
This time however engine is also using excessive oil. No white smoke visible when cold or warm, no visible oil leakage on the ground under car when parked but oil was visible on undercarriage. Took car to Nissan dealer who replaced oil sump and indicated timing chain needs replacement again. And we agreed it only makes sense to replace the timing chain if oil leak can be fixed. So keep driving for a few hundred km. However after 3 weeks it is clear oil leak is still present. I checked motor compartment and undercarriage again. Car indeed has a new oil sump and garage obviously cleaned motor compartment and I can't find any fresh oil leakage anywhere. There must also be a coolant leak as I see it is also slightly low on coolant after a few months however coolant is clear (no mayonaise). Still bad news I'm afraid. An obvious case of failed piston rings, valve guides or even head gasket? Any idea how to diagnose without taking the engine apart?

Could try a compression test to find out how much pressure engine makes and a leakdown test measures its ability to hold pressure.

Gasket leak could be possible since your loosing coolant but could be leaking from another location.

That's about all I know and would like to test this myself to learn more.
Maybe the test would let you know where the problem might be or what you may need to solve the problem.

Back