Newbie with a question

Hello all, ive had a bit of a look round the forum and its great.
I have previously owned a K10 and for the last five years a k11, but its sadly died and now ive moved on to a k12 which took some finding, first impressions are... i like it.
Now for my first question. it only comes with one remote fob key what are my options for buying another? where, and what type?

OK that was a dumb question not really related to the micra, but its the first car ive owned with only one transponder type key.

Ive just been in touch with an auto locksmith and £140 for a key exactly as mine. I'm thinking of buying one of those cheap remotes because its the getting in the car if the remote battery goes flat thats worrying me.

No not rude at all. its got a keyhole but only on the passenger side, and its hidden under a cover that doesn't seem to want to come off at the moment and i don't want to force it.

Aah, ive got it off (the flap) its a prising type job, theres a tiny slot underneath about 6mmx2mm stick the key in that and then use the key as a lever, lift the remote levering the very end of the key downwards to prise the plastic away and off. I'm not very impressed but it works.

Ive had a thought about the key price issue though. What about take the tranponder out of the original key and stick it (out of sight) near the ignition switch, then buy two cheaper remotes with blank blades have them cut to suit, assuming the doors will lock with the transponder inside this would work...maybe.

Seems a reasonable solution too me, if someones got as far as getting in they'll smash the cowl off then break the steering lock, so if the transponder is in the cowl and ends up on the floor in the passenger footwell the immobiliser will still work. just running it through my head really.

Back