More woes-poor running this time...

Mrs' Y reg Micra has started running poorly. It seems to idle Ok but just as the throttle is applied it hesitates and coughs a bit then picks up and clears OK. The engine light has just come on for some reason (the orange one with what looks like a little pump or valve). The exhaust has a slight blow but has been like that for quite a while without any lights coming on.
I change the oil/filters once a year and its due up again about now but I have never known it to run like this. I just pulled out the air filter and blipped the throttle but its exactly the same.
I also noticed a small matchbox sized filter in the airbox that I dont recall seeing before. Any idea what this is? Its really mucky and smells oily/of fuel.
Any clues as to what else to check when I do the filters/plugs etc? I have a feeling changing all this wont cure it.
Thanks for any help
Chris

That little filter you found in the airbox is the oil breather filter. And it's always worth checking the spark plugs, in case they're a bit coked. Give them a good clean, but if they're really bad you might want to change them. If the exhaust is blowing, it might be worth getting that fixed, and there's every possibility that it might be blocked somewhere. The standard manifold on my S-reg K11 had a substantial crack in it as well, and was running a bit dodgy, so it's worth checking that too. Check the fuel pump/fuel lines for any splits or breakages? Other than that, I don't know what to suggest.

I'm not 100% sure, as I changed my entire airbox for a cone air filter and seperate oil breather filter as soon as I bought the car. It might be worth replacing that filter anyway, just to be safe. Maybe replace the oil filter and panel filter for a K&N one? As an afterthought, it might be worth checking the injectors for rust or corrosion

Well, my mrs has just ######ed off in my car and her keys with her so I will have to have another shufty tomorrow now :doh:

Oh dear :laugh:. Well like I said, just try the things I suggested, check all your fluids are topped up and there are no broken pipes or anything like that. Check HT leads for any breaks as well, could be that it isn't running on all 4 cylinders. I'm sure other people on here will add to what I've already suggested though, so you're bound to get it fixed pretty damn sharpish (Y)

Hopefully, thats why I like this forum :) Dont post a lot as I am a total mechanical numpty but always loads of good info here (Y)

lol just spootted you quoted my post before I edited it. I said she had bug*r*d off in my car not realising the swear filter would pick that up :)

lol just spootted you quoted my post before I edited it. I said she had bug*r*d off in my car not realising the swear filter would pick that up :)

Yeah, it does indeed censor it. And people that try to get round it normally get an infraction as well :wasntme:

might be the notorious bosch maf fail eh ?

Good point Frank, the air flow meter hadn't occured to me actually. Hope it isn't for your sake mate, otherwise it will mean a garage trip :doh:

I was just reading a thread about this... Crikey, hope its not as it will mean a garage visit

Mine hasn't gone yet (touch wood). But yeah, it could mean a trip to the garage if you still have a running issue after trying out everything you can

The symptoms you described sounds similar to what occurred with mine which was down to the maf sensor as Frank suggested above, for a quick diagnosis you can just unplug it from the meter to see if it then runs ok without it connected ( Don't leave it unplugged or do any long runs with it disconnected though!) If it is the sensor, you can get a new one for around £30 and you'll need a TS security bit to take the two screws out. It's an easy job to do, takes around 10 minutes to swap it. You can leave the battery disconnected over night to reset the engine warning light.

Top man Tezz, never had a problem with my MAF sensor yet, so thought it would be a bit more complicated than that myself

Will keep you updated on the progress of this, usually turns out what is a 10 minute job for most on here develops into a weekender for me lol. Pain in the backside as I have enough to do at the moment!
Thanks for the iinfo so far

Back