K12 faulty ECU ?

M

MICRAROMEO

Right got me a problem, I have a 2003 52 plate 1.0 K12 Micra that is proving to be a right pain in the arse, its been in the garage now for 8 weeks with a intermitant starting problems. the diagnostics say the cam sensor is at fault, so they changed that, no better. so changed variable timing unit, no better. nissan say the timing chain is stretched so its causing the timing to go out so wont start, so stripped engine checked chain, its fine no wear not stretched, so still no better all sensors that controll or are conected to the timing of the car has been checked or changed.. so me thinks its HELP does any1 have any ideas what might be causing this big expensive headache.fwn

jay

ok have they checked or changed the crank sensor?

also have you got a print out from the diag computer? if so post it all up

also if the chain tensioner piston is out by 10mm or more the chain is stretched just so you know

once you answer and post the picture of the print out i cant help you

i dont have the print out as its still with the garage and im picking it up at the wkend. they said they have changed the crank sensor aswell, well thats what they say,, but they did say the chain wasnt stretched . even though they havent fixed the car i cant afford to leave it with them and he has put his hands up and said hes stumped so he cant do no more,, hes not a nissan dealer just my local garage who has always done my cars like

well then it could be loadsa things but heres a few common ones

the crank sensor connector sweals up and makes a bad connection on the earth - to fix this you have to solder the wires directly to the sensor also you might have to change the sensor again

the timing chain might be stretched if the chain tensioner piston is out by 10mm or more

it could be a igniton switch faulty believe it or not as its common on k12 - i highly recommend you change this as nissan put out a recall on some a month or 2 back to check if you ignition switch needs to be changed

remove the ignition switch and see if the T shape bit in the middle is black or white,

if its black then you need a new modified one as this might fix the fault,
if its white then you already have a new modified one fitted

also clean up the engine bay earths as these get corroded really quick on k12s and can cause any fault to happen

theres 2 under the o/s headlight 1 is on the top metal bar above the bonnet latch
2 under the n/s headlight and also 1 on the bulkhead near the abs module depending on how new the car is as nissan moved the earth point as there was problems with it causing abs faults

i do think you should change the ignition switch first as its cheapest and easyist to do, go to your local nissan dealer and ask them to check for any out standing recalls (hopefully the ignition switch one comes up so you save some money) on your car these will be done free of charge aswell

if you had a consult 2 print out i might possibly helped out more but with out being at the car i cant tell you whats wrong only recommend what it could be

cheers for that, when i get the car back from the garage i will start to look at these points , im speaking with the garage later to day and will get a copy of the print out off him .. will keep you posted and thanks for the advice. i've also heard about a problem with kevlar off the assembly line coming off on the flywheel and interupting the magnetic signal being read by the sensors.. dont know how true this is ??..
jay

it is true, you have to burn off the flywheel ring gear with a blow torch as the bits on the ring gear damage the crank sensor

right thats what i had heard but ya know how it is, never know what to believe,, spoke with the garage and they changed the crank position sensor and the camshaft position sensor and the variable cam solinoid valve, all to no effect. the diagnostic says it is the camshaft sensor. he can trick the engine into starting first time every time by disconecting the crank shaft sensor then starting the engine and then reconecting the sensor after its started. ????? this i must admit makes me think ECU possibly??? might try burning off the flywheel first see if it has an effect,, keep ya posted ,, and thanks for the pointers

ive done that before starting a k12 and it was the poor connection where you have to solder them on to the sensor

i dont know what diag computer he is using but tell him if he can check ignition timing in data monitor, to see what it reads at idle if it reads 45degrees then bridge passed the crank sensor connection and solder straight to it and see if that fixes it

workshop manual needed K12 micra

Does anyone know where you can get a workshop manual for the the K12 series micra,, prefer like a pdf downloadfwn

fordy m8y

Any chance of posting those bulitens up from nissan with regard the timing chain stretching .. this engine of mine will still not sart up properly ,, what is weird is if you disconnect the crank position sensor it starts up you then recoonect the sensor and it will run but theres no real power and she really struggles when under load,, its as if the timing is out i guess ,, this is really becoming a head scratcher.. :doh:

Back